My Book of Favorite Fairy Tales - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Prattlepig wrote: May 13th, 2020, 3:19 am Hello again.

Here's Chapter 7 Hansel and Grethel. Please let me know if there's any problems.

Duration is 17:39

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_07_vredenberg_128kb.mp3

Let me know if there's any problems. Thanks!
Wonderful reading! You really brought the story to life.

Section 7 PL notes:

0:00 Too much silence at beginning - should be max of 0.5-1 second of silence (currently 1.5)
07:07 Stumble ("Hansel broke hi . . . his")
07:30 Misreading that changes meaning ("Hansel kept still dropping" read as "Hansel kept stop dropping")

In addition to the above, the volume of your recording is too low at 86.3 dB. We aim for about 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. Your file will need to be amplified by +3. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number 3. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker, then reupload using the same file name. Post in this thread when you have uploaded the edited file. Thanks so much.
ceekay

Post by ceekay »

philchenevert wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:40 am
ceekay wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm Hi there, Phil!
It's been a while since the last time I claimed a chapter. May I claim section 10 to complete this book?
Thanks!

-Kay
Nope Kay, I made a mistake. that section has been claimed already and I did not put the claim into the magic window. I apologize for the inconcvenience.
That's alright. Thanks for letting me know!
-Kay
Prattlepig

Post by Prattlepig »

cadastra wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm Wonderful reading! You really brought the story to life.

Section 7 PL notes:

0:00 Too much silence at beginning - should be max of 0.5-1 second of silence (currently 1.5)
07:30 Misreading that changes meaning ("Hansel kept still dropping" read as "Hansel kept stop dropping")

In addition to the above, the volume of your recording is too low at 86.3 dB. We aim for about 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. Your file will need to be amplified by +3. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number 3. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker, then reupload using the same file name. Post in this thread when you have uploaded the edited file. Thanks so much.
Hello again, thanks for the feedback!

I've made the changes and hope this one is a bit better. Just regarding the volume - I'm pretty sure I ran it through checker the first time and the program said the volume was fine - is there another way I can check the volume to make sure it's correct just to be sure? Thanks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_07_vredenberg_128kb.mp3

Revised recording length is now 17:42

Thanks again!
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

TheKanadian wrote: May 15th, 2020, 4:12 am
You should put the duration on there as well it supposedly helps Phil out when managing the different sections
Hi there, thank you for the note. Noted!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi good people. I noticed the question about acceptable volume. Apparently the Checker program accepts anything 3 dB on either side of 89 as OK. So anything between 86 and 92 would get a passing grade. I know it seems like four dB if you start counting at 86 but apparently it just counts the intervals, not the numbers. Like a lot of things in LV we just go with the flow and use those outside numbers. I don't know where this is written down actually so it is my opinion. If the Checker program does not work this way please let me know because I am curious now as to the actual parameters. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

cadastra wrote: May 11th, 2020, 8:37 pm
LydiaElle wrote: May 7th, 2020, 2:41 pm
LydiaElle wrote: May 7th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Thanks for the helpful tip Phil. I think I have now been able to amplify this and here is the link below. For future reference, how would I reduce a spike?

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_03_vredenberg_128kb.mp3
And here is section 08: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_03_vredenberg_128kb.mp3
Sounds beautiful. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before, but the file only has 4 seconds of silence at the end, not 5. I always double check the starting and endings silences when I spot PL, and I only just now caught this. Do you think you could add an additional second of silence to the end? So sorry for the bother. :oops:
It's no bother at all! Sorry to only just see this. Here we are:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_03_vredenberg_128kb.mp3
TheKanadian

Post by TheKanadian »

Also Lydia, I noticed you posted the like for chapter 3 when saying it's chapter 8.
You may have forgotten to change the name, or you uploaded the wrong thing.
OR you just put in the wrong url.

Either way that's the link to your chapter 3 again
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Prattlepig wrote: May 18th, 2020, 4:12 am
cadastra wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm Wonderful reading! You really brought the story to life.

Section 7 PL notes:

I've made the changes and hope this one is a bit better. Just regarding the volume - I'm pretty sure I ran it through checker the first time and the program said the volume was fine - is there another way I can check the volume to make sure it's correct just to be sure? Thanks.

Thanks again!
philchenevert wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:41 am Hi good people. I noticed the question about acceptable volume. Apparently the Checker program accepts anything 3 dB on either side of 89 as OK. So anything between 86 and 92 would get a passing grade. I know it seems like four dB if you start counting at 86 but apparently it just counts the intervals, not the numbers. Like a lot of things in LV we just go with the flow and use those outside numbers. I don't know where this is written down actually so it is my opinion. If the Checker program does not work this way please let me know because I am curious now as to the actual parameters. :D
Thanks for asking! Assuming all other technical specifications are OK, Checker marks files between 86-92 dB as "passed" in the Validation tab. However, many DPLs, including me, accept a narrower range (87-91 dB) for group projects to ensure consistency between files. My reasoning for the stricter standard: The listener must adjust his or her speakers constantly if the volume level fluctuates significantly throughout the audiobook, which makes for a less enjoyable listening experience. Also, it can be rather startling to be peacefully listening to an 86 dB recording, only to have a 92 dB recording come booming on a few minutes later. On the other hand, I am more lenient with solo projects. The same narrator reads the entire book, so even if the volume is on the higher or lower end, it tends to be consistent throughout the project.

If you click on the Information tab in Checker, you can see the exact volume of the file. Hopefully this helps.
LydiaElle

Post by LydiaElle »

TheKanadian wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:10 am
Also Lydia, I noticed you posted the like for chapter 3 when saying it's chapter 8.

Yes you're right! I must have had this in draft for a while! Thanks for the spot :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_08_vredenberg_128kb.mp3

Duration 14m18
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

LydiaElle wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:53 am
cadastra wrote: May 11th, 2020, 8:37 pm
Sounds beautiful. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before, but the file only has 4 seconds of silence at the end, not 5. I always double check the starting and endings silences when I spot PL, and I only just now caught this. Do you think you could add an additional second of silence to the end? So sorry for the bother. :oops:
It's no bother at all! Sorry to only just see this. Here we are:
Thank you so much! PL OK.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

LydiaElle wrote: May 18th, 2020, 9:24 am
TheKanadian wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:10 am

Yes you're right! I must have had this in draft for a while! Thanks for the spot :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/favoritefairytales_08_vredenberg_128kb.mp3

Duration 14m18
I was wondering about this! Thanks for sorting it out!

Section 8 PL notes:
0:18 Incorrect chapter name (should be "Snow White and Red Rose," not "Snow White and Rose Red")
Volume is too loud at 92.3 dB (87-91 dB acceptable, de-amplify by -3.3 using Effect > Amplify in Audacity)
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Prattlepig wrote: May 18th, 2020, 4:12 am

Section 7 PL notes:

Thanks again!
PL OK!
Prattlepig

Post by Prattlepig »

cadastra wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:59 am
Thanks for asking! Assuming all other technical specifications are OK, Checker marks files between 86-92 dB as "passed" in the Validation tab. However, many DPLs, including me, accept a narrower range (87-91 dB) for group projects to ensure consistency between files. My reasoning for the stricter standard: The listener must adjust his or her speakers constantly if the volume level fluctuates significantly throughout the audiobook, which makes for a less enjoyable listening experience. Also, it can be rather startling to be peacefully listening to an 86 dB recording, only to have a 92 dB recording come booming on a few minutes later. On the other hand, I am more lenient with solo projects. The same narrator reads the entire book, so even if the volume is on the higher or lower end, it tends to be consistent throughout the project.

If you click on the Information tab in Checker, you can see the exact volume of the file. Hopefully this helps.
Thank you for that. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't see the tab before now. That'll make it much easier to be sure next time.
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Prattlepig wrote: May 18th, 2020, 2:37 pm
cadastra wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:59 am

Thank you for that. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't see the tab before now. That'll make it much easier to be sure next time.
No need to feel embarrassed. It's all a learning process!