[COMPLETE][Short stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 05 February 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2020, 5:35 am
queenk8 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 9:42 amSection 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_01_various_128kb.mp3
time: 26:03
aaaaaah, I was screaming aloud in frustration at the ending here. Why oh why can't we know what was written on the card ? This story was extremely agonizing just for that mystery alone. I love a good mystery but it needs to be solved in the end. :evil: Guess we'll never know, but the woman was some supernatural element, otherwise the card would not have been erased in the end. Intriguing somehow.

Wonderfully narrated again, Kate. :9: Thank you so much.

There are a few snippets I would suggest though:

> at 23:10: (p. 9) after "that he see this woman" there is a bit of a coughing sound, which can be cut out
> at 24:14: (p. 9) after "I wanted you to...to..." a pause of 2.5 seconds feels quite long to wait for the story to continue, I would cut this part by one second at least
> at 24:22: (p. 9) "and she fell back" - not sure but I think I hear "he fell back" :hmm:
> at 25:52-25:56: also here, 4 seconds is too long before the end disclaimer

oh and since you are reuploading anyway, please change the filename to only 1 digit (1 instead of 01) since we have less than 10 sections anyway.

thanks

Sonia
Here you go: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
New file length is 25:54
Corrections made from 23:10 forward to (oops) remove the cough and get rid of awkward silences. I agreed on "and he/she fell back" - it was a little slurred, so I grabbed a "sh" from another area and pasted it in - sounds much better.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

queenk8 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:12 pmI agreed on "and he/she fell back" - it was a little slurred, so I grabbed a "sh" from another area and pasted it in - sounds much better.
yes indeed, now I can clearly hear "she" :thumbs: perfect patches all, and PL ok now. Many thanks for another great narration :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
helenmiddlerasen

Post by helenmiddlerasen »

Hello

here we are:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_5_various_128kb.mp3

all corrections made (expent the arm / back - I thought I'd leave that as it was a bit more difficult to fix and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing!) hope its ok - recording is in total 30 minutes and 40 seconds - recorded with a blue yeti, using Audacity
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 11th, 2020, 6:01 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_5_various_128kb.mp3
all corrections made (expent the arm / back - I thought I'd leave that as it was a bit more difficult to fix and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing!) hope its ok - recording is in total 30 minutes and 40 seconds - recorded with a blue yeti, using Audacity
I also use a Blue Yeti and I am very happy with the quality :9:

thank you for the corrections, most of it is correct and I agree, the "back/neck" was an optional correction. It doesn't change the meaning significantly so we can let it pass

However there is still something to adjust at the end disclaimer:

> at 30:32: no need to insert the end-of-book disclaimer. This will only be spoken in the very last section of a project. You can cut that out here

> however, as mentioned before, we need the standard 5 seconds of silence at the end of each recording. You are still breaking up abruptly. Just let the recording run for 5 seconds in another Audacity window, noise-clean it a bit and then copy/paste it over to the masterfile. Quite easily done that way :)

One last upload and then I'm sure we're good 8-)

Sonia
helenmiddlerasen

Ah, OK, I see, right I shall do it in the morning :)
helenmiddlerasen

Hiya,

Here it is - hope this is ok, it's got 5 seconds space and the end now. I love the blue yeti, really happy with the sound quality - she's big though! And heavy!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 12th, 2020, 2:49 am Here it is - hope this is ok, it's got 5 seconds space and the end now. I love the blue yeti, really happy with the sound quality - she's big though! And heavy!
excellent, thank you very much, and this is your first official PL ok section then. Hopefully many many more to come :clap:

:)

Sonia
lunarbaby

Post by lunarbaby »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:9: awww Trish, this was such a romantic story and it was so lively narrated by you, really enjoyable to listen to. The child's funny voice was an interesting touch :thumbs: I love hearing dialogues in character.

This can be marked straight PL ok. :clap: A wonderful final section for this magazine. If I had to note anything, I could only say, 2.4 seconds of silence between the intro and the start of the story feels a bit much for a listener, people may wonder whether there is something wrong with the audio when the silence goes on for so long. You may consider it for future recordings. Anything over 2 seconds is too long, usually even between paragraphs 1.5-maximum 2 seconds is enough.

But no need to reupload just for this, as the rest is totally fine. Only as another note ;) please always state the length of the recording when posting the link, then the MW (magic window) can get updated accordingly.

Thanks ! And I hope I hear you soon in another project, maybe even in a new Black Cat. I will always post the new link in this project once it's up and running, so watch this space if you are interested ;)

Sonia
lunarbaby

Post by lunarbaby »

Thanks, Sonia! And thanks for your input :). I will definitely implement a shorter silence between the intro and start and will remember to state the length of the recording in the post! It was fun to find my inner little girl voice hehe!

Take care!
Trish
Kitty wrote: May 13th, 2020, 12:23 am
:9: awww Trish, this was such a romantic story and it was so lively narrated by you, really enjoyable to listen to. The child's funny voice was an interesting touch :thumbs: I love hearing dialogues in character.

This can be marked straight PL ok. :clap: A wonderful final section for this magazine. If I had to note anything, I could only say, 2.4 seconds of silence between the intro and the start of the story feels a bit much for a listener, people may wonder whether there is something wrong with the audio when the silence goes on for so long. You may consider it for future recordings. Anything over 2 seconds is too long, usually even between paragraphs 1.5-maximum 2 seconds is enough.

But no need to reupload just for this, as the rest is totally fine. Only as another note ;) please always state the length of the recording when posting the link, then the MW (magic window) can get updated accordingly.

Thanks ! And I hope I hear you soon in another project, maybe even in a new Black Cat. I will always post the new link in this project once it's up and running, so watch this space if you are interested ;)

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

And here is section 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_2_various_128kb.mp3 11:20

I hope you enjoy it.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 12:32 pmAnd here is section 2.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_2_various_128kb.mp3 11:20
aww this was such a lovely little story and yes I enjoyed it, not least because it was a cosy without the unnecessary bad ending to little Tang-u. :9: And your reading was excellent again and PL ok straight away. Thank you so much, Julie.

This means we are only waiting for one more section to come in, so I think it is time to launch the next magazine :mrgreen:

Only 5 stories up for grabs this time, so get them while they're hot (if you are still interested). The new project can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=80124

Maybe I'll hear some of you again soon

Sonia
NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ »

feedback / constructive criticism appreciated
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you so much for this wonderfully sensitive narration, J :9: Awww and I loved the story, and I'm glad it had a happy-ending. :D I suspected twins after the mention of the vanished mole, but I was only half right. ;)

Excellently PL ok and that means, I can proceed to cataloguing this issue. 8-)
I'm afraid you missed the launching of Number 6, but maybe I'll hear you again in Number 7. :D

And here are my short teasers for all your stories:

The mysterious card: a man desperately tries to understand the horrible message which utterly destroyed his life
Tang-u: through excellent eyesight, a young boy saves the lives of a battleship-crew
The little brown mole: after several years of separation, a man comes home and finds his wife quite a changed person
A telepathic wooing: too shy to approach the woman he loves, a young doctor tries out an unusual method to propose to her
The Prince ward: a dead woman's ghost takes revenge on the woman who took away her husband
A meeting of royalty: a chance encounter with a young girl sets a man down memory lane

Thank you all for your wonderful story-telling: Kate, Julie, J, Nemo, Helen and Trish !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here we have the link, it all went without a glitch :9:

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/black-cat-01-05-feb1896-by-various/

moving to Completed Projects now...

Sonia