COMPLETE: [WOMEN BIOGRAPHIES] The Empresses of Rome, by Joseph McCabe-leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Billium113 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 3:35 am Hi Leni, I have finished my section. If you wish, you can assign me another section, any section would be fine.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/empressesrome_21_mccabe_128kb.mp3
32 min 46 secs
Hello, Billium

Sorry for the delay in PLing. I started listening to your section, but maybe you have uploaded an unedited file? :hmm: The sound is really low, so it does need some amplification. But other than that, there is a number of stumbvles that need to be edited out. For example:

@04:04 - a stumble "of the opposing schools of historians"
between 04:13 - 04:16 a series of stumbles
@04:24 - stumble "conduct"
@04:31 - stumble "relied"
@05:17 - stumble "Europe... empire"
@05:41 - stumble "contrasts"

So, I will mark this as PL notes, while you re-listen to it and edit it, okay? :) And don't forget to amplify. Thanks!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 17th, 2020, 4:35 am Ok, I'll grab 20 :D
Thanks, Rita! And thanks for section 14, I will PL soon.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

JulieB3 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 5:16 pm Here is the final section - Section 3!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/empressesrome_03_mccabe_128kb.mp3 22:43

Thank you for the extra few days. It really helped. I hope you enjoy the recording.
And it's PL OK! Thanks, Julie!
Leni
=================
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

You're welcome! :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here's a question for someone more expert in Latin and perhaps other pronunciations than me. I'm doing two chapters, Julia Domna and Justina.

I know from taking Latin way back in HS and from double checking via Forvo that Julia is pronounced Yulia in the Latin. But by the time we get to Justina, the empire is based in the east in Constantinople and I'm wondering if that affects the pronunciation. I can't find a specifically Latin tagged pronunciation of Justina, and the other pronunciations vary between pronouncing with a J and with a Y sound. Meanwhile, the similar name Justinian, also a Constantinople emperor, is usually pronounced with the J, but I'm not sure if that's Anglicized or correct.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ColleenMc wrote: May 17th, 2020, 10:33 am Here's a question for someone more expert in Latin and perhaps other pronunciations than me. I'm doing two chapters, Julia Domna and Justina.

I know from taking Latin way back in HS and from double checking via Forvo that Julia is pronounced Yulia in the Latin. But by the time we get to Justina, the empire is based in the east in Constantinople and I'm wondering if that affects the pronunciation. I can't find a specifically Latin tagged pronunciation of Justina, and the other pronunciations vary between pronouncing with a J and with a Y sound. Meanwhile, the similar name Justinian, also a Constantinople emperor, is usually pronounced with the J, but I'm not sure if that's Anglicized or correct.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Colleen
Hey Colleen!

Thanks for asking. I feel that in this book, we have been using the English names. All these historical figures have had their names Anglicized (Frenchized, Spanishized... :mrgreen: ) through time, so, since the reading is in English, I suppose the names can just be read in English, really. Just like I imagine nobody would say "Cristoforo Colombo" in a book in English, but Christopher Columbus, we can jusy say Julia, Justinian and Constantine as in English.
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Oops, well, I just finished editing the Julia Domna chapter and I used the Yulia pronunciation throughout...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here it is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/empressesrome_15_mccabe_128kb.mp3

32:58

Please let me know if you need me to re-record for consistency of pronunciation across the other chapters since there is more than one Julia in the book!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ColleenMc wrote: May 17th, 2020, 11:54 am Here it is uploaded:

Please let me know if you need me to re-record for consistency of pronunciation across the other chapters since there is more than one Julia in the book!

Colleen
Thanks, Colleen. It's fine, don't worry. Since it will be consistent throughout your chapter, I think people will understand who you are talking about. :mrgreen: I will PL soon.
Leni
=================
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Okay thanks!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

ColleenMc wrote: May 17th, 2020, 11:54 am Here it is uploaded:

Colleen
Section 15 is great! :D
Leni
=================
michellemo5

Post by michellemo5 »

HI!

Getting ready to start recording my sections but I have a quick question. My sections are 16-18 but the text has them as Chapters 14, 15 and 16. Which do I use in the recording?
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

michellemo5 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 1:45 pm HI!

Getting ready to start recording my sections but I have a quick question. My sections are 16-18 but the text has them as Chapters 14, 15 and 16. Which do I use in the recording?
Hello!

Please use what is in the first post:

"Section [number] of The Empresses of Rome. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"The Empresses of Rome, by Joseph McCabe. Chapter [number] (Part [number], if applicable). [Chapter title]"

Thanks!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, Rita!
Leni
=================