[COMPLETE] How To Write Short Stories (with samples), by Ring Lardner - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

9 and 10 are splendidly PL OK, Adrian, and the story is quite meritorious after all. What a thoroughly rotten character that Mitch is, and why girls fall all over themselves for him I can't imagine. Well done!

FYI, on the IA screen showing the book, you can do a search for a word, and each instance shows up as teardrops along the bottom of the scroll bar. Hover over one and up pops the text with the page number. That makes it a bit easier to find words you are looking for. No such help, however, in Audacity, or I would have cited the instances myself.
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

msfry wrote: April 28th, 2020, 7:49 am 9 and 10 are splendidly PL OK, Adrian, and the story is quite meritorious after all. What a thoroughly rotten character that Mitch is, and why girls fall all over themselves for him I can't imagine. Well done!

FYI, on the IA screen showing the book, you can do a search for a word, and each instance shows up as teardrops along the bottom of the scroll bar. Hover over one and up pops the text with the page number. That makes it a bit easier to find words you are looking for. No such help, however, in Audacity, or I would have cited the instances myself.
Thank you, Michelle. I appreciate your thorough review.

Finding the words in the text is no problem (I download the book as a .pdf, and use foxit reader where I can list all occurances of the word), it's finding the darned word in the recording itself that take the time. I have to listen for a phrase, then search for the phrase in the .pdf and determine whether I'm before or after my target. Usually took about 5 trials per location.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
msfry

Post by msfry »

adrianstephens wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:04 pm Finding the words in the text is no problem (I download the book as a .pdf, and use foxit reader where I can list all occurances of the word), it's finding the darned word in the recording itself that take the time. I have to listen for a phrase, then search for the phrase in the .pdf and determine whether I'm before or after my target. Usually took about 5 trials per location.
I know it's a pain. Sorry I didn't catch them as I went along. My bad. There are still 3 stories open, in case you want to give me another chanct. :|
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

msfry wrote: April 29th, 2020, 6:47 am ... give me another chanct. :|
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
sulema

Post by sulema »

Hello, I would like to record sections 15 and 16 please. Thank you for your time!
chabeeb

Post by chabeeb »

6.1, 6.2 My Roomy
To be read by Claudia Habeeb
msfry

Post by msfry »

To Sulema and Chabeb. Welcome to Librivox. I know you are excited to be here and I don't mean to discourage you, but before you claim sections on any projects, we ask you to review your Welcome Letter carefully and follow directions there.
Especially, please submit your 1 minute test.
Then, it helps if you Introduce Yourself, to let us know what kind of audio experience you might have, what setup and equipment you are using, and anything else you'd care to share about yourself (multilingual, accents, books you like, etc.) This helps us help you as needed.
That done, it is almost always better to start out with short projects (like 1500 words or less, basically 10 minutes or less), to get the hang of recording, editing, naming and uploading files here at Librivox, before you tackle an hour long story like those on this project (which could involve up to 5 hours to edit). The poetry weekly and fortnightlies (Readers Wanted, Short Works) are a great place to start, and you get to know lots of people quickly there.

Once you've done these preliminaries, come on back.
Mrscottfins

Post by Mrscottfins »

Hi there

This is my first post. I would like to do sections 11 and 12.
Here is my test
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/test_scottfins.mp3

Have a great day

Scott
msfry

Post by msfry »

Mrscottfins wrote: May 11th, 2020, 10:12 am Hi there

This is my first post. I would like to do sections 11 and 12.
Here is my test
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/test_scottfins.mp3

Have a great day

Scott
Hi, Scott. It looks like someone is checking out your 1 minute test and giving you good advice on settings and volume issues. Thank you for introducing yourself, too! That is much appreciated. Do you have experience editing audio files? These long files can be really frustrating if you don't know the time saving tricks. I highly recommend you read the post I just made above to two other newbies, and seek out some shorter pieces before tackling these long files. But if you do have experience, and as you like comedy, and as I am looking for a comedian to ham up these wacky stories, I will reserve 11 and 12 for you to claim within a few weeks. Let me hear back from you soon.
specj5

Post by specj5 »

Hello, are Sections 15-16 ('A Frame-Up') still available? If so, can I please reserve them? Thank you in advance! :)
Jeanne Viray | Australia | (she/her)
msfry

Post by msfry »

specj5 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:18 am Hello, are Sections 15-16 ('A Frame-Up') still available? If so, can I please reserve them? Thank you in advance! :)
Well, you are pretty new here and I don't see that you have done any sections longer than a few minutes, but if you think you're up to 50 or 60 minutes of edited product, have at it. I'll put you in the MW and you have 2 months to complete it. This is a good place to hone your "ham it up" skills, and I look forward to being entertained. :D
specj5

Post by specj5 »

msfry wrote: May 17th, 2020, 10:56 am
specj5 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:18 am Hello, are Sections 15-16 ('A Frame-Up') still available? If so, can I please reserve them? Thank you in advance! :)
Well, you are pretty new here and I don't see that you have done any sections longer than a few minutes, but if you think you're up to 50 or 60 minutes of edited product, have at it. I'll put you in the MW and you have 2 months to complete it. This is a good place to hone your "ham it up" skills, and I look forward to being entertained. :D
Hi Michele! It definitely is something I've not done before so I hope I do it justice. Which brings me to my first query: I'm tossing up between what accent to do. The way it's written seems a bit 'hokey' but then the characters themselves are from the Chicago and Michigan areas and research suggests they should have Midwestern accents.

As an Australian, I'd just like to get it right! :lol: Didn't even realise there were these many accents. I also wouldn't want to offend anyone, just in case.

I'd be up for trying anything, but I'd appreciate any directions for which accent to go for! While practising the story, I've been able to do a light 'hokey' Southern accent, or just a general American accent. The Midwestern accent itself is a little hard to get right. :hmm:
Jeanne Viray | Australia | (she/her)
msfry

Post by msfry »

I think "Hokey" comes in all accents. Run with the one you are most comfortable with to get the point across. No one will be offended around here. :D

And not every reader does different voices for each character, and the stories still sound good. Some readers just like to do characters.

And one more thing . . . . Lardner's spelling is atrocious on purpose, so don't try to correct it. Therein lies some of his humor.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

I would like to claim the last two open sections (Horseshoes):

19 10.1 Horseshoes
20 10.2 Horseshoes

Thanks in advance!

--Kurt
msfry

Post by msfry »

kwpapke wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:01 am I would like to claim the last two open sections (Horseshoes):

19 10.1 Horseshoes
20 10.2 Horseshoes

Thanks in advance!

--Kurt
Well now, looks like we might be sailing into home port. I suspect you'll give me a Ringer! MW updated. 8-)