COMPLETE - [solo] The Sworn Brothers, a Tale of the Early Days of Iceland - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland by Gunnar Gunnarsson (1889 - 1975). Translated by Claud Field (1863 - 1941)

This project is now complete. You may listen from our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-sworn-brothers-a-tale-of-the-early-days-of-iceland-by-gunnar-gunnarsson/

Volunteers outside the USA: Gunnar Gunnarsson died in 1975. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
This is the story of the close but sometimes contentious relationship of two young Icelandic kinsman who elect to undergo the solemn ceremony of initiation into blood-brotherhood which includes blood sacrifice to the pagan gods, Odin and Thor. In the era of Viking exploration, these cousins travel in dragon-ships to such destinations as Norway, the Orkneys, England, Ireland, the Isle of Man, etc. The sworn brothers fight for life and death in these treacherous journeys with storm and sea. ( Rita Boutros)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62123
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: Gi5f8Sz8

============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: vikings, thor, odin, brotherhood, dragon-ships, pagans

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland, by Gunnar Gunnarsson. Translated by Claud Field (1863 - 1941) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland by Gunnar Gunnarsson. Translated by Claud Field (1863 - 1941) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland, by Gunnar Gunnarsson. Translated by Claud Field (1863 - 1941)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename swornbrothersataleoftheearlydaysoficeland_##_gunnarsson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. swornbrothersataleoftheearlydaysoficeland_01_gunnarsson_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags - ignore tags. These are automatically generated during cataloging.
      Artist: Gunnar Gunnarsson
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Sworn Brothers, A Tale of the Early Days of Iceland

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Rita,
This sounds like a very interesting story. I can MC for you.

Do you have a DPL lined up?

I'm going to change the link to the text to the main page.

You are free to shorten the file name. Currently it is swornbrothersataleoftheearlydaysoficeland_01_gunnarsson_128kb.mp3 maybe something like swornbrothersoficeland_01_gunnarsson_128kb.

I'll be back in a moment with your MC.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Thank you Linny
Yes, I will shorten the file name when saving.

I do not have a DPL lined up
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Rita!

I’d be happy to DPL if you don’t already have one.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

wow - thank you!
linny

Post by linny »

Jenn added as DPL and we are off to going solo. :D
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

I am wondering if you could do me a favor (something that's been bugging me): When I input the information in the template, I was trying to put in C. Field as the interpreter, but the drop down INSISTED that Claud Field's name be put in. Can you fix?

Also, there's a second interpreter whose name should be added, and that is W. Emme.
Even though I'm sure these people are dead, it still matters.

Thank you sincerely. Rita
linny

Post by linny »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 17th, 2020, 8:27 am I am wondering if you could do me a favor (something that's been bugging me): When I input the information in the template, I was trying to put in C. Field as the interpreter, but the drop down INSISTED that Claud Field's name be put in. Can you fix?

Also, there's a second interpreter whose name should be added, and that is W. Emme.
Even though I'm sure these people are dead, it still matters.

Thank you sincerely. Rita
Is it that you think C. Field and Claud Field are different people?

I added in the second interpreter as W. Emme.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

It is not clear to me whether it is Claud Field or not on this translation. In researching Claud Field, I see that he was a known translator, but his list of works does not mention The Sworn Brothers.
Claud Field apparently spoke German, Arabic and Russian. Icelandic? Not so sure.

Maybe just to be on the safe side, we should just list it as C. Field, as it states at the Gutenberg site.
Many thanks
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Actually, I just found another reference on the Gutenberg site that indicates it WAS Claud Field as the translator. See link: http://dev.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62123
linny

Post by linny »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 17th, 2020, 9:42 am Actually, I just found another reference on the Gutenberg site that indicates it WAS Claud Field as the translator. See link: http://dev.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62123
Perfect! Then you are all set. :thumbs:
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Rita!

I downloaded Chapter 1 to listen to this evening, but just wanted to give you a heads up it isn't in the MW. Looking forward to listening!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
linny

Post by linny »

Rita,
Are you able to get into the MW? As soloist you are also the BC. You are responsible for placing the link in the MW and listing the length of the recording in the notes column. Lastly you need to update the workflow dropdown from assigned to ready for pl.

Please let me know if you have any questions.