COMPLETE (Religion) Mountains in the Mist, FW Boreham (d. 1959)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Grainneog wrote: May 15th, 2020, 1:52 am Hullo,

I'm just wondering, is it possible to claim section 27 to read, or do I need to wait until I have the 'PL OK' on my first submission?

Thanks!
No, no need to wait! I'll go ahead and assign it. And I now have your section 18 in the MW. I forgot to enter it before, I'm sorry! :oops:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Grainneog wrote: May 10th, 2020, 7:01 am Hi!

This is section 18 - part 2, chapter 8. It's 20 minutes long. It passed the checker, but I'm not sure how well I did with editing my mistakes, and trying to keep a consistent volume! I've never been so aware of my breathing :)

Also, I made two mistakes when uploading - first I accidentally uploaded with chapter number instead of section number, and then botched renaming by writing mp3 at the end. I know clearing doesn't delete the file, so do I need to contact an admin? Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_18_boreham_128kb.mp3
Tremendous!
Thank you for a most excellent recording of this chapter. :D

Another gem from Boreham! It is a subject near and dear to my heart as someone who is both a medical professional and minister have served in missions, local pastorate and later as hospital chaplain. Let no man put asunder what God has joined together. ( I have stories to tell). :lol:

So glad you'll be reading another chapter. :D
Looking forward to listening to you again.

PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cimt wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_25_boreham_128kb.mp3
This is part 25 ready for PL.
It is 14:02.
First, Section 24 is PL OK.
You missed a few, but this is quit acceptable.

Section 25

The audio quality on this one doesn't sound quite as good. I'm not sure if it is the mic or overprocessing. I did some noise reduction that seemed to help. But, still, it is in the acceptable range.

I would, however, request a couple of changes. At, 10:21 :25 :45 the name "Wesley" is mispronounced as "Weesley" It is a short "e" as in "west" or "less." Normally we don't comment on pronunciation in Standard PL, but this name is so well-known that this really stands out. So, please see what you can do.

Thanks!
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:45 am
cimt wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_25_boreham_128kb.mp3
This is part 25 ready for PL.
It is 14:02.
First, Section 24 is PL OK.
You missed a few, but this is quit acceptable.

Section 25

The audio quality on this one doesn't sound quite as good. I'm not sure if it is the mic or overprocessing. I did some noise reduction that seemed to help. But, still, it is in the acceptable range.

I would, however, request a couple of changes. At, 10:21 :25 :45 the name "Wesley" is mispronounced as "Weesley" It is a short "e" as in "west" or "less." Normally we don't comment on pronunciation in Standard PL, but this name is so well-known that this really stands out. So, please see what you can do.

Thanks!
Note, please, that the section numbers on these have changed! This was actually supposed to be, and is now once more, sections 25 and 26!

So, to avoid further confusion, part 3 chapter 5 is PL ok, and part 3 chapter 6 needs a correction. When re-uploading, please name it as section 26 and upload it to maryannspeigel's folder!
Grainneog

Post by Grainneog »

mightyfelix wrote: May 15th, 2020, 4:54 am
Grainneog wrote: May 15th, 2020, 1:52 am Hullo,

I'm just wondering, is it possible to claim section 27 to read, or do I need to wait until I have the 'PL OK' on my first submission?

Thanks!
No, no need to wait! I'll go ahead and assign it. And I now have your section 18 in the MW. I forgot to enter it before, I'm sorry! :oops:
Not at all - thank you so much! :clap:
Grainneog

Post by Grainneog »

Hi - here is part 27 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_27_boreham_128kb.mp3

It passed the checker, but again, not entirely sure whether I just squeaked by on volume, or how obvious my editing is! :)

Also, thank you very much for the PL on my previous part. I found this chapter very interesting...I'd never heard of Frank Boreham before, but as he points out, Mount Disappointment is a universal experience - it was nice to feel like I met the author on common ground :)

I'm really enjoying the librivox experience - and I appreciate any and all advice for improvement!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Grainneog wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:54 am Hi - here is part 27 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_27_boreham_128kb.mp3

It passed the checker, but again, not entirely sure whether I just squeaked by on volume, or how obvious my editing is! :)

Also, thank you very much for the PL on my previous part. I found this chapter very interesting...I'd never heard of Frank Boreham before, but as he points out, Mount Disappointment is a universal experience - it was nice to feel like I met the author on common ground :)

I'm really enjoying the librivox experience - and I appreciate any and all advice for improvement!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Please remember to include the run time for every recording you submit. How long is this file?

As long as Checker gave you a green light, I'm not going to be picky. :) Some readers want every edit to be perfectly seamless, and others are less bothered by it. But the more you edit, the better you'll get at figuring out how to smooth them out.

Boreham was very famous in his day. It seems to me that he's making a bit of a comeback these days. I've been working down the list of his many books, starting another as each one is finishing up. It's almost time for me to get started planning the next one, so stay tuned!
Grainneog

Post by Grainneog »

mightyfelix wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:25 am

Thanks so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Please remember to include the run time for every recording you submit. How long is this file?

As long as Checker gave you a green light, I'm not going to be picky. :) Some readers want every edit to be perfectly seamless, and others are less bothered by it. But the more you edit, the better you'll get at figuring out how to smooth them out.

Boreham was very famous in his day. It seems to me that he's making a bit of a comeback these days. I've been working down the list of his many books, starting another as each one is finishing up. It's almost time for me to get started planning the next one, so stay tuned!
Apologies - the recording is 18 minutes long :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Grainneog wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:40 am Apologies - the recording is 18 minutes long :)
No problem. It takes a little time to learn the ins and outs. 18 minutes exactly? When I download it, it looks like 18:07. Minutes and seconds is what we need. It's partly to make sure that there weren't any upload issues that cut off part of the recording.
Grainneog

Post by Grainneog »

I'm doing so well, clearly! Recording is exactly 18 minutes 7 seconds - sorry for the extra checking and hassle!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for confirming! :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Your reading is quite lovely and expressive!
This section is PL OK

Loved his treatment of Mount Disapointment.
The bitterest ones so often lead to the sweetest joy on the other side.
We all have our stories, don't we?

The greatest of all - the cross and the empty tomb!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Devorah,

Your Section 28 is PL OK, although, personally, I'd apply a little noise cleaning.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 17th, 2020, 10:41 pm Devorah,

Your Section 28 is PL OK, although, personally, I'd apply a little noise cleaning.
I did use noise cleaning. :hmm: And I don't hear or see any noise when I click through. I think I have had some inconsistent noise lately, though, and that noise cleaning may not be as effective for the entire recording as it used to be. I'm not sure why that is. Was it only at certain places, or all the way through?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here is a snippet, testing out a high filter pass rather than noise reduction. When I listened through headphones, I thought I could hear a low buzz, but only for the first few minutes. Is that like what you were hearing? And did this fix it? If so, I'll run the same effect on the whole file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_28_test.mp3