[SHORT ARTICLES] The Rural Magazine and Literary Evening Fire-Side Vol 1 No 1 by Various - tg

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
silverquill
Posts: 13385
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 11th, 2020, 7:59 am

andybeddy wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 3:15 am
Hi. Here is section 15 James Watt running time 16:37

Please let me know if anything needs fixing. I am out working Tuesday to Friday this week so I won't be at home until Saturday afternoon to do anything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_15_various_128kb.mp3
Well, thank you so much!
We will have a PL report for you soon.
~Larry

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8993
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » May 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Hi Andy! What a perfect recording setup you have! I admire the clarity of your sound. The reading is also impeccable!
I only have one comment, but maybe it's a personal feeling; the pause between the intro and the actual article felt too long. I would say that deleting the "Section 15, James Watt" to avoid repetition and shortening the following silence would improve the flow of the transition from intro to main text. What do you think? I'll mark it PL OK, since this is not an issue, but feel free to re-upload if you decide to make changes. :wink:
The king of England is now in the 60th year of his reign—a reign longer in its duration, by nearly four years, than that of any sovereign of England, that of Henry the 3d being only 56 years.
Queen Elizabeth II has surpassed them all! 8-)

andybeddy
Posts: 35
Joined: August 23rd, 2019, 12:20 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by andybeddy » May 12th, 2020, 12:21 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Hi Andy! What a perfect recording setup you have! I admire the clarity of your sound. The reading is also impeccable!
I only have one comment, but maybe it's a personal feeling; the pause between the intro and the actual article felt too long. I would say that deleting the "Section 15, James Watt" to avoid repetition and shortening the following silence would improve the flow of the transition from intro to main text. What do you think? I'll mark it PL OK, since this is not an issue, but feel free to re-upload if you decide to make changes. :wink:
Hi. Thanks for the very encouraging comments. Especially about my set up and my reading. I've always enjoyed reading and doing this is like having a dream come true, to get such encouraging comments is brilliant, thank you. The set up is actually what I use to record my guitar with, I'm using a condenser mic through a £50 audio interface into a recording software called "Reaper" on my old desktop PC that was gathering dust in the corner of my cabin. I always think I read too fast. I'd like to audition to ACX but haven't plucked up the courage just yet, plus, I don't know where I would find the time to do a full audiobook as I currently work 12 hour night shifts with a 45 min drive to work, great for listening to books, not great for recording them lol.

P.S. you should hear my blooper reel. I might upload it to the bloopers forum but I don't think it is very family friendly at the moment :D

Anyway, I agree with your comments and I've done the edits as you suggested, here is my new file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_15_various_128kb.mp3

Running tiime 16m:29s

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8993
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » May 12th, 2020, 1:25 am

Well it shows you have recording experience! Once you feel more comfortable with recording your own voice, I'm sure you'll find the courage. Not sure if you'll find the time, as you said :mrgreen: But time spent with something we enjoy is worth finding (making!)
Your reading pace sounded natural to me. Depending on the text you read, the situation might call for a slower or faster reading, but for this text, all was great!
New upload: spot-checked and PL OK! :thumbs:

Ezekiel
Posts: 29
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 5:04 am

Post by Ezekiel » May 14th, 2020, 12:34 pm

I would like to read #3 Letters of a Citizen to his Friends in the Country No. 1
Ezekiel

silverquill
Posts: 13385
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 14th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Ezekiel wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:34 pm
I would like to read #3 Letters of a Citizen to his Friends in the Country No. 1
Ezekiel
Thank you!
Your are in for Section 3
~Larry

Ezekiel
Posts: 29
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 5:04 am

Post by Ezekiel » May 14th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Thank you
Ezekiel

andybeddy
Posts: 35
Joined: August 23rd, 2019, 12:20 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by andybeddy » May 16th, 2020, 2:22 am

Hi there. Got a day off work on Sunday. Could I put myself forward to tackle section 10: Notes and remarks by the editor of the Register?

ColleenMc
Posts: 1311
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 16th, 2020, 7:44 am

Hi,

Recording section 6, there are pretty numerous footnotes. My normal rule of thumb is to read footnotes that have additional information, but not ones that are just a reference to a book location, but the extra information here is pretty trivial and not really necessary, and interrupting for notes makes the main sentences difficult to follow especially when there are multiple notes in a paragraph as in the second to last paragraph.

I've recorded with them but thought I'd check whether to leave them in or remove when I edit.

Colleen

silverquill
Posts: 13385
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 8:17 am

andybeddy wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 2:22 am
Hi there. Got a day off work on Sunday. Could I put myself forward to tackle section 10: Notes and remarks by the editor of the Register?
You've got it!
Thanks.
~Larry

silverquill
Posts: 13385
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 8:21 am

ColleenMc wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 7:44 am
Hi,

Recording section 6, there are pretty numerous footnotes. My normal rule of thumb is to read footnotes that have additional information, but not ones that are just a reference to a book location, but the extra information here is pretty trivial and not really necessary, and interrupting for notes makes the main sentences difficult to follow especially when there are multiple notes in a paragraph as in the second to last paragraph.

I've recorded with them but thought I'd check whether to leave them in or remove when I edit.

Colleen
The rule of thumb is a good one, and you right about these, so it is best to omit them altogether.
~Larry

ColleenMc
Posts: 1311
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 16th, 2020, 8:49 am

Cool, thanks for the quick response! I will "disappear" them on the edit :D

Colleen

ColleenMc
Posts: 1311
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 16th, 2020, 11:47 am

Here is section 6 (Treatise on Agriculture) : https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_06_various_128kb.mp3

06:18

and section 14 (Disease Among Horses/The Arabian Horse): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_14_various_128kb.mp3

06:56

Colleen

silverquill
Posts: 13385
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 16th, 2020, 7:53 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 11:47 am
Here is section 6 (Treatise on Agriculture) : https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_06_various_128kb.mp3

06:18

and section 14 (Disease Among Horses/The Arabian Horse): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_14_various_128kb.mp3

06:56

Colleen
Great!
These are both in the MW Ready for PL.
Thank you.
~Larry

KevinS
Posts: 7496
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 16th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Section 11, please.

Post Reply