COMPLETE: The Chimney Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

susanjhudson wrote: April 21st, 2020, 7:48 am Whoops, copied the wrong link:
Susan
That happens easily enough when you have multiple versions of the same file. What I do is keep the original as is (in my unfinished files folder), then label the succeeding variations b c d thus:
chimneycorner_06b_stowe_128kb
chimneycorner_06c_stowe_128kb
chimneycorner_06d_stowe_128kb

When I save as an mp3 (in my finished files folder), I erase the extraneous letter (b or c or d), so the last iteration I've worked on becomes my only finished file and the one I upload. Occasionally I find I preferred an earlier version, and I have it. Once the file is PL OK'd and the project is catalogued, I get rid of the earlier versions and just keep the good stuff.

That's just what I do, but some sort of filing system becomes important when working multiple projects at once and you find files scattered all over the place. :shock:
alzounes

Post by alzounes »

Hello! I'd like to read Chapter 5, "The Transition"
msfry

Post by msfry »

alzounes wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:03 am Hello! I'd like to read Chapter 5, "The Transition"
Hello alzounes, I see you've completed your 1 minute test and have set up your Catalog Name. Those 's's you complained about can be tamped down considerably if you cover your mike with a sock and/or put the mike at a 45 degree angle to your voice projection path, and not too close to your mouth. Otherwise your quality is clear and voice pleasant. Chapter 5 is about 5000 words, so about 30 minutes of completed file. That's quite a bit of work for a newbie to edit, but as there is no rush to complete this project, my advice is for you to poke around looking for a few shorter sections to practice on first (like 1500 words or less). Little bites of satisfaction are very encouraging as you gain experience.

I've reserved Section 7 for you and look forward to listening whenever you get ready. Thank you for joining my project.
msfry

Post by msfry »

susanjhudson wrote: April 21st, 2020, 7:48 am Whoops, copied the wrong link:
Section 6, Chapter 4
34:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_06_stowe_128kb.mp3

Susan
Settings are right. :thumbs: But background noise is still there and amplification way up. I am sending you more instructions via private message.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 5 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_05_hbstowe.mp3 30:55

Bill, the ball is in your court.

Warning: Just when you think Stowe has covered all facets of a many-faceted subject, she throws in a bunch more stuff you never considered! This chapter seemed so long, and ends with "more to follow"! :shock:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:16 am Section 5 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_05_hbstowe.mp3 30:55

Bill, the ball is in your court.

Warning: Just when you think Stowe has covered all facets of a many-faceted subject, she throws in a bunch more stuff you never considered! This chapter seemed so long, and ends with "more to follow"! :shock:
Section 05 PL NOTES:

What an idealistic dissection of the Working Class vs the Aristocratic Class!! If everyone were a practical philosopher, her dream world might be feasible, but highly unlikely, IMHO!

Acute observation:
"The aristocracies of the Old World claim that their only labor should be that of the brain ; and they keep their physical system in order by violent exercise, which is made genteel from the fact only that it is not useful or productive."
Tennis anyone?

A couple of divergences from the original text, to be handled as you will:

9:37
Heard "All OVER New England"
s/b "All OUR New England"

10:11
heard: "amount of real work" -- hard was omitted
s/b "amount of real hard work"

18:35
heard: "that Lincoln began is "[SO] thoroughly done..." -- "SO" omitted
s/b "that Lincoln began is so thoroughly done..."
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill, I made the changes, and re uploaded. No time change.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_05_hbstowe.mp3

As to tennis, I suspect it's no different than people who work out at the spa 3 to 4 days a week -- after putting in a full day of productive labor at the office. I don't know how many house painters or crane operators go to the spa, or play tennis. They are probably tuckered out when they get home. We are all somewhat aristocratic these days, I suppose, but in lieu of servants we have our flushaway sewerage, indoor plumbing, washer & dryer, dishwasher, cars, pressure washers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, central air and heat, etc. to keep our homes in order. (There is still enough housework left for me to resent, though.) :roll:
weezer

Post by weezer »

I would like to narrate chapter six "Bodily Religion: A Sermon On Good Health"; from -The Chimney :) Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe :)
Thanks. Weezer
msfry

Post by msfry »

weezer wrote: May 7th, 2020, 10:10 am I would like to narrate chapter six "Bodily Religion: A Sermon On Good Health"; from -The Chimney :) Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe :)
Thanks. Weezer
Hi, Weezer. I see you are new, and I don't find your 1 minute test, but I do see you've recorded for another project and had it accepted so I presume your tech specs are okay. And you are familiar enough with recording, editing, reading the First Post for directions, naming and uploading files, etc. (so frequently confusing to newcomers to LV). All that said, I'm happily assigning Section 8 to you. Thank you.
weezer

Post by weezer »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_08_hbstowe_128kb.mp3
This is a correction to my original submission. Duration is 37:32 minutes.
Thanks. Weezer
msfry

Post by msfry »

weezer wrote: May 15th, 2020, 4:30 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_08_hbstowe_128kb.mp3
This is a correction to my original submission. Duration is 37:32 minutes.
Thanks. Weezer
PL Notes Section 8, Bodily Religion

I listened to the first 8 minutes and found so many interjections of Page Numbers, I stopped PLing. I guess they showed up in the OCR text, but of course should be ignored. Please listen to your file again and remove all of these, then resubmit. I only found one significant error worth mentioning so far, so go ahead and correct that too, and maybe that will be all I find. Otherwise, I hear your hearty enjoyment throughout. You are doing a fine job. :thumbs:

1:21 "Bodily religion 143"
2:57 "144, The Chimney Corner"
4:33 "Bodily Religion 145"
6:14 "146 the chimney corner"
7:45 "bodily religion 147

5:58 with wonderful condescension, you say condensation
weezer

Post by weezer »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_06_stowe.mp3
Here is the corrected chp 6 of Chimney Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Duration is 34:20 minutes. Thanks. Weezer
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PL Notes for Section 05

I think I have PLed this section twice and the PL Notes or PL OK were not transferred into the MW. Us poor DPLs rely on the "Ready for PL" comment in the MW to know when there's something to PL.

THIS TIME thru the file, I found only one tiny glitch, and it occurred at the 3rd word of the text:
00:29 Heard: "My dear [Mr.] Theophilus" "Mr." was omitted
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

weezer wrote: May 20th, 2020, 9:55 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_06_stowe.mp3
Here is the corrected chp 6 of Chimney Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Duration is 34:20 minutes. Thanks. Weezer
Oops, you have uploaded your file with the Chapter Number 06, instead of the Section Number 08 in the file name, and named it _stowe_ rather than _hbstowe_ as shown in the First post.
Please rename your file _08_hbstowe, and reupload, and post it here, after which I look forward to PL'ing it. I know, it is confusing, but very important to remember that files are named after Section numbers, not Chapter numbers. Chapters are often divided into 2 or 3 sections due to their long length, so they often don't match up.
weezer

Post by weezer »