Intermittent clicking sound

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Jkhoriaty

Post by Jkhoriaty »

Hello!
I'm getting an irregular intermittent clicking sound when I'm recording. I recorded last week, same setup, and did not have this problem. I'm using a Mac, Audacity, and a Roland duo-capture ex. Not sure what's changed since then, but the clicks are frequent and very annoying.
I tried updating Audacity to fix my problem, as well as restarting my computer. No luck. As far as I can tell, I'm also not getting any clicks if I record with just the mic in my computer (so I don't think it's Audacity's problem).
Anyone got any advice?
Edit: It's a Rode microphone.
they/them pronouns
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please post a sample of a recording with the clicks - up to a minute's worth is all we'd need.

You can upload it to the Tests folder. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Jkhoriaty

Post by Jkhoriaty »

Here ya go!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/clicktest_jkhoriaty.mp3

About 30 seconds, but I think you've got a couple good examples in there. They sound like mouse or keyboard clicks but there's no one around to be making them.
they/them pronouns
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jkhoriaty wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm Here ya go!

About 30 seconds, but I think you've got a couple good examples in there. They sound like mouse or keyboard clicks but there's no one around to be making them.
I'm not the best judge, but I don't hear any clicking.

EDIT: The volume is quite low, so I raised the recording by nearly 15 dB. Even then I heard no clicking.

P.S. It's a nice recording.
Jkhoriaty

Post by Jkhoriaty »

KevinS wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:04 pm
Jkhoriaty wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm Here ya go!

I'm not the best judge, but I don't hear any clicking.

EDIT: The volume is quite low, so I raised the recording by nearly 15 dB. Even then I heard no clicking.

P.S. It's a nice recording.
Yeah, I know the volume is low - wasn't too worried about getting my dB levels perfect while I'm dealing with this problem. Sorry about that!

I'm hearing it especially on the line "scheme of the universe was devised" - you don't hear it at all there?
they/them pronouns
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When I amplify that part, I don't hear any clicks, either. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to listen to a longer segment, if you'd like to post it.

I think you may just be too per-clickety. (I'm sorry, I can never pass up a chance for a pun.)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I hear a single one at 00:24 after the "alike". This might be a mouth click, we all make them all the time. No need to worry about it - just try to keep hydrated!

I'd say leave it be, if nobody can hear it, you're being too hard on yourself. We're not looking for perfection here. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Jkhoriaty

Post by Jkhoriaty »

Well. If all of you agree that there's no clicking, guess everything is good!
Thanks!
they/them pronouns
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It's always best to record just room sound for about a minute or two - no voice, when giving examples of noise or clicks. And make sure the gain is fairly high. I also think you are making the clicks. Try recording an extra 6 inches away from mic and increase the gain to compensate. Or you could angle the mic and/or use a pop filter. But in any case the clicks are so little that it won't matter too much.
ADJDVO

Post by ADJDVO »

As Availle said... this is definitely just mouth noise. Your mouth is getting dry while reading and so it creates more saliva which causes these smacking noises.

Perfectly normal. Just drink water or tea (I find mint tea really helps) and give your voice a rest during long chapters.