[Complete] Leave it to Doris by Ethel Hueston - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

jigraves wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm Here's section 14 The Doctor. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/leaveittodoris_14_hueston_128kb.mp3
Time is 13:44
Hello, Jackie! Nice reading! Just a couple of areas to consider:

1. At the beginning of the recording there should be from 1/2 to 1 second of silence. (You can "add" that by copying a bit of silence from either that same spot or another spot, and then pasting it at the beginning, repeating the paste until you have between 1/2 and 1 second.)

2. Your lovely voice is obscured a bit by what seems to be either over-processing on the one hand or too much background noise on the other, in addition to noises during the recording.
As for the noises, they remind me of scrolling sounds. In my case, I record using a roller ball mouse and pausing before and after scrolling my text so that I can easily delete those sounds later. I don't use anything on the keyboard during recording, as those were more difficult for me to avoid and delete. So, my suggestion for future recordings is to experiment with different scrolling or page turning techniques until you find the easiest and quietest for you.
Re over-processing -- perhaps you are doing too much general editing. De-clicker, for instance, is a great tool when used for individual words and phrases, but used too much, the words become less distinct. This takes practice, too, to find what is best given your environment.
And, re background hum, could that be from large fluorescent light fixtures, fans, metal table legs? Look around and see what is in your control to reduce while recording. Some of us fight with the computer fans themselves. As for me, I live under a train bridge! But we've learned tricks along the way.

Jackie, I'm mentioning these things in "2" for your information, not for you to fix for this project. You may want to do a 5 minute recording just for yourself and play around with the recording variables, as well as with editing techniques.
Are you recording with Audacity? If so, there are some helpful videos here which will make all of this so much simpler. Let me know and I'll post a few relevant links.

Best wishes!

Peace be with you,
Sister
jigraves

Post by jigraves »

Monaxi wrote: May 11th, 2020, 11:30 am
jigraves wrote: May 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm Here's section 14 The Doctor. Thank you!

Hello, Jackie! Nice reading! Just a couple of areas to consider:

1. At the beginning of the recording there should be from 1/2 to 1 second of silence. (You can "add" that by copying a bit of silence from either that same spot or another spot, and then pasting it at the beginning, repeating the paste until you have between 1/2 and 1 second.)

2. Your lovely voice is obscured a bit by what seems to be either over-processing on the one hand or too much background noise on the other, in addition to noises during the recording.
As for the noises, they remind me of scrolling sounds. In my case, I record using a roller ball mouse and pausing before and after scrolling my text so that I can easily delete those sounds later. I don't use anything on the keyboard during recording, as those were more difficult for me to avoid and delete. So, my suggestion for future recordings is to experiment with different scrolling or page turning techniques until you find the easiest and quietest for you.
Re over-processing -- perhaps you are doing too much general editing. De-clicker, for instance, is a great tool when used for individual words and phrases, but used too much, the words become less distinct. This takes practice, too, to find what is best given your environment.
And, re background hum, could that be from large fluorescent light fixtures, fans, metal table legs? Look around and see what is in your control to reduce while recording. Some of us fight with the computer fans themselves. As for me, I live under a train bridge! But we've learned tricks along the way.

Jackie, I'm mentioning these things in "2" for your information, not for you to fix for this project. You may want to do a 5 minute recording just for yourself and play around with the recording variables, as well as with editing techniques.
Are you recording with Audacity? If so, there are some helpful videos here which will make all of this so much simpler. Let me know and I'll post a few relevant links.

Best wishes!
Hello,

I have added the silence at the beginning. Hope this works better.

Thank you for the feedback. I use Audacity and I'm not sure what is making the background hum or scrolling noises. I don't live in a noisy area and have no fluorescent lights or fans. I will try to look around and see if there is something I can do for the future.

Thanks again and let me know if you need anything else.

Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 4 is ready for PL.
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Lynnet wrote: May 12th, 2020, 4:34 pm Chapter 4 is ready for PL.
God willing, I'll be back tomorrow for PLing.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

jigraves wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I use Audacity and I'm not sure what is making the background hum or scrolling noises. I don't live in a noisy area and have no fluorescent lights or fans. I will try to look around and see if there is something I can do for the future.

Hello, Jackie, Somehow the recording has just about tripled in length. Please delete the repeated section(s), leaving 1/2 - 1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end.

Also, I'd suggest doing all edits and final listenings using head phones. This will help you catch many things before uploading. Thanks!

Best wishes!

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Lynnet wrote: May 12th, 2020, 4:34 pm Chapter 4 is ready for PL.
Chapter 4 -- PL OK :thumbs:

Peace be with you,
Sister
jigraves

Post by jigraves »

Monaxi wrote: May 13th, 2020, 12:15 pm
jigraves wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Hello,

Hello, Jackie, Somehow the recording has just about tripled in length. Please delete the repeated section(s), leaving 1/2 - 1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end.

Also, I'd suggest doing all edits and final listenings using head phones. This will help you catch many things before uploading. Thanks!

Best wishes!
My apologies, here's the correct one.

Time is 13:45
Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!
ShamaAbbasi

Post by ShamaAbbasi »

I am happy to take up the last open section - 15 Rising to the Manse
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ShamaAbbasi wrote: May 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm I am happy to take up the last open section - 15 Rising to the Manse
Thank you
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

jigraves wrote: May 14th, 2020, 11:47 am

My apologies, here's the correct one.

Time is 13:45
Section 14 is PL OK! :D

Peace be with you,
Sister
Shuikofod

Post by Shuikofod »

Hi, may I claim section #13? This would be my first recording, I am a newbie.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Shuikofod wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:19 pm Hi, may I claim section #13? This would be my first recording, I am a newbie.
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
booksnchocolate

Post by booksnchocolate »

Hello!
I have uploaded chapter 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/leaveittodoris_07_hueston_128kb.mp3

The time is 17:10.95

Thanks!
Jan
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

booksnchocolate wrote: May 21st, 2020, 5:37 pm Hello!

Thanks!
Jan
Thank you
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

booksnchocolate wrote: May 21st, 2020, 5:37 pm Hello!

Thanks!
Jan
Jan, I'll be away today, but I'm looking forward to listening tomorrow.

Peace be with you,
Sister