COMPLETE (Religion) Mountains in the Mist, FW Boreham (d. 1959)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

cimt wrote: May 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm This is section 24- https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_24_boreham_128kb.mp3

It is 10:46.
You were right! This was a good section and I enjoyed reading it. :)
That was fast, thank you! :D Would you like another? Only a few left. :wink:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

21 and 29 and now both PL OK.
Thanks for your excellent reading! :)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
cimt

Post by cimt »

Could I have section 25?
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cimt wrote: May 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm This is section 24- https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_24_boreham_128kb.mp3

Thank you for a nice recording!

My only comment is that throughout the recording, in between phrases, there are a lot of clicks. Most of these are minor, a few louder. If it were my recording, I would clip out most of these, but I'll leave it up to you. The loudest one is at 0:21 clunk – can be cut.

I started highlighting some of the others which you will find at 0:28, 0:41, 0:54, 1:28, 2:01, 2:33, 2:55,2:57, 3:11, 3:40, 3:45, 4:54, 06:51, but you might want to listen to the whole thing again with attention to those spaces. There are also several places where there is some noise during the reading, perhaps shifting in a chair or moving something on a desk. Again, minor not needing correction, but just something to be aware of for future recording, as are those clicks.

Again, these are just pointers to help you have the best results possible.

Beyond that, there is quite a bit of reverb overall. I struggled with this, and finally got a mike stand with a pop filter that brought the mike closer to my mouth, hung some blankets in the back of my recording space to catch some of the reverb, esp bass frequencies, and got a better result. (I just have to unplug a noisy appliance :lol: ) Very few of us have a dedicated studio space, (I have hopes) so we all do the best we can, and your sound is perfectly acceptable! Just having a conversation here.

Glad to see you're taking another section. :clap:

Boreham ("h" is silent), is a fascinating writer, isn't he? I like the message of this one. We tend to glamorize the testimonies that are escapes from corrupt lifestyles, the prodigals, and so forth. Great miracles of redemption, indeed! Then I point to my two daughters and say, "There is the real miracle!" Ask for a testimony and you'll hear something like, "I never really remember a time when I wasn't a Christian." They are a blessing.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

cimt wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:42 am Could I have section 25?
Absolutely! Glad that you are up for another!

I'd like to also comment on Larry's (silverquill's) PL notes to you, regarding the clicks and bumps. As you record, it's good to become aware of the noises around you. If you can hear it, your mic probably can too. Even things like bumping the table or the mic cord can sound quite loud, and these noises will be very startling to a listener who isn't expecting them. Some of them may be unavoidable, but it's best to cut these in editing.

Also, in case it helps, when reading from archive.org, you can set it to display just one page at a time, so you can just continually scroll, instead of clicking to "turn" the page! There's a button at the lower right corner. :) It was a game-changer for me when I discovered that!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hey, everyone. I apologise, but somehow one of the sections in the MW has gotten moved around, which throws off the numbering a bit. I won't have a chance to fix it until later tonight, so please hold off on uploading until I post that it's been fixed. And then double check your section numbers! Thanks for understanding!
cimt

Post by cimt »

silverquill wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:15 am

Thank you for a nice recording!

My only comment is that throughout the recording, in between phrases, there are a lot of clicks. Most of these are minor, a few louder. If it were my recording, I would clip out most of these, but I'll leave it up to you. The loudest one is at 0:21 clunk – can be cut.

I started highlighting some of the others which you will find at 0:28, 0:41, 0:54, 1:28, 2:01, 2:33, 2:55,2:57, 3:11, 3:40, 3:45, 4:54, 06:51, but you might want to listen to the whole thing again with attention to those spaces. There are also several places where there is some noise during the reading, perhaps shifting in a chair or moving something on a desk. Again, minor not needing correction, but just something to be aware of for future recording, as are those clicks.

Again, these are just pointers to help you have the best results possible.

Beyond that, there is quite a bit of reverb overall. I struggled with this, and finally got a mike stand with a pop filter that brought the mike closer to my mouth, hung some blankets in the back of my recording space to catch some of the reverb, esp bass frequencies, and got a better result. (I just have to unplug a noisy appliance :lol: ) Very few of us have a dedicated studio space, (I have hopes) so we all do the best we can, and your sound is perfectly acceptable! Just having a conversation here.

Glad to see you're taking another section. :clap:

Boreham ("h" is silent), is a fascinating writer, isn't he? I like the message of this one. We tend to glamorize the testimonies that are escapes from corrupt lifestyles, the prodigals, and so forth. Great miracles of redemption, indeed! Then I point to my two daughters and say, "There is the real miracle!" Ask for a testimony and you'll hear something like, "I never really remember a time when I wasn't a Christian." They are a blessing.
Thank you so much for the feedback, I will revisit the recording in little bit and fix it up. I will take up your notes for next time too. :)
Carisa

cimt

Post by cimt »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_24_boreham_128kb.mp3

This is the fixed Section 24. I think I got all of the click out and it should be already. Just let me know if I need to do anything else.
It is 10:30.
Carisa

cimt

Post by cimt »

Carisa

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Despite the confusion, I thought I'd take a break from Dolittle and get this one in.
The metaphors and a a bit dated in the (dis)information age, but the truth is eternal.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_02_boreham_128kb.mp3 14:08
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

cimt wrote: May 12th, 2020, 10:41 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_24_boreham_128kb.mp3

This is the fixed Section 24. I think I got all of the click out and it should be already. Just let me know if I need to do anything else.
It is 10:30.
cimt wrote: May 12th, 2020, 12:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/mountainsinthemist_25_boreham_128kb.mp3
This is part 25 ready for PL.
It is 14:02.
Well, I just noticed that these were uploaded to the wrong folder. I am the BC of this project, but MaryAnn is the MC. It may seem confusing, but don't worry! You'll get the hang of it. Every time you upload a file, double check the first post of the project you're uploading for. Close to the link to the uploader, you'll also see the name of the MC, which is the folder you'll need to choose. The name will be in blue, so it makes it easier to find.

However, in this case, your mistake and my mistake worked together in beautiful harmony! :lol: Somehow one of the sections got moved to the wrong spot, which meant that some of the other section numbers got thrown off. These two sections really should have been 25 and 26, not 24 and 25. (But don't worry. That part was my mistake!) Anyway, the lucky part about all this is that because you put them in my folder instead of MaryAnn's, nothing got overwritten! :clap:

Larry, I'll leave the links as they are for now, pointing to my folder. After they both have their PL ok, I'll just download them and get them over to where they need to be. I think I've got everything else sorted.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:17 am Despite the confusion, I thought I'd take a break from Dolittle and get this one in.
The metaphors and a a bit dated in the (dis)information age, but the truth is eternal.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_02_boreham_128kb.mp3 14:08
Wow, what a good chapter! This was the part that struck home for me: "It is always safe to conclude, if we do not love a man, that it is because we do not know him."

PL ok, thank you! :thumbs:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Devorah,
As long as the links in the MW point to the correct files, it doesn't matter whose folder they are in. We are so close to finished here that you might as well leave them where they are until after the cataloging is finished.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 14th, 2020, 6:15 pm Devorah,
As long as the links in the MW point to the correct files, it doesn't matter whose folder they are in. We are so close to finished here that you might as well leave them where they are until after the cataloging is finished.
MaryAnn
Oh ok! Thanks, I didn't know that! :)
Grainneog

Post by Grainneog »

Hullo,

I'm just wondering, is it possible to claim section 27 to read, or do I need to wait until I have the 'PL OK' on my first submission?

Thanks!