COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 074 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

soupy wrote: May 11th, 2020, 12:50 pm Thanks Daniel :thumbs:

Very nicely read - easy to understand :D

A few errors noted:

4:05 – I confess that, while with them (the theologians) – you forgot to say while

8:26 The reason is, he says, - you left out is

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end

Craig
Craig -

I revised Part 1 and uploaded. Thanks for catching those errors.

Title: Spinoza and The Bible (Part 1)
Author: Matthew Arnold (1822-1888)
Text URL: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924060445446&view=1up&seq=168
Duration: 31:29
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf074_spinozabiblepart1_arnold_dwd_128kb.mp3
Reader’s Name: Daniel Davison
soupy

Post by soupy »

I was sure off on those time stamps :oops:

PLOK now :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

soupy wrote: May 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm Thanks for part 2 Daniel -

I coudn't tell if he liked Spinoza or not from the first part but he surely did in the second.

a few errors noted:

1:41 He points out how the account of Og’s iron bedstead: you said bed – later it refers to bedstead again

4:17 important to observe that nowhere distinctly gives his opinion about the Bible’s fundamental character – you said he does not give

6:02 but he asserts that the divine voice which uttered the commandments on Mount Sinai was a read voice – you forgot to read divine

6:22 Still he asserts the divine voice to have been a real one – forgot to say divine

11:51 the perpetual reproach of impurity and rejection cast upon the priesthood of the tribe of Levi? You said cast upon the masses of the Hebrew nation -- p. 189 bottom – reread the section

14:27 A philosopher’s real power over mankind resides not in his metaphysical formulas – you said real power of mankind

25:11 That name does not precisely fit any quality which they exhibit – you said same

25:26 still, because, handling religious ideas, he yet, with all his wit and clear sense, he handles them wholly without the power of edification, his fame as a great man is equivocal– jumbled that sentence up bottom of p. 199

27:00 he turns so sternly upon the worshippers of the letter, - you said worship

At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"

Craig
Craig -

Thanks so much! I'll correct these points tomorrow. I'll need to bring this internet version up onto my ipad, because apparently there were some significant editorial changes made to the copy of the essay that I was reading from. It was one I had on my bookshelf. But I realize that that just won't do, since the hyperlink will need to point to the online version that corresponds with the libribox recording.

On a separate note, I've downloaded the gutenberg edition of Hazlitt's "Spirit of the Age" to my Kindle, so that I can adjust the font for my eyes. And since it's the only copy I have of that, there shouldn't be these problems.

Daniel
soupy

Post by soupy »

It's strange that texts change so much in reproduction but that the way it goes from text to text. No problem - looking forward to hearing William Godwin by Hazlitt. Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Kevin, Thank you for your contribution to Vol. 074! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Kevin :thumbs:

I'll listen in the morning.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: May 11th, 2020, 5:02 pm Thanks Kevin :thumbs:

I'll listen in the morning.

Craig
No rush!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Women and Holy Orders is PLOK Kevin :thumbs:

Will women ever be ordained in the Catholic Church?

She has been in many denominations :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

soupy wrote: May 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm Thanks for part 2 Daniel -

I coudn't tell if he liked Spinoza or not from the first part but he surely did in the second.

a few errors noted:

1:41 He points out how the account of Og’s iron bedstead: you said bed – later it refers to bedstead again

4:17 important to observe that nowhere distinctly gives his opinion about the Bible’s fundamental character – you said he does not give

6:02 but he asserts that the divine voice which uttered the commandments on Mount Sinai was a read voice – you forgot to read divine

6:22 Still he asserts the divine voice to have been a real one – forgot to say divine

11:51 the perpetual reproach of impurity and rejection cast upon the priesthood of the tribe of Levi? You said cast upon the masses of the Hebrew nation -- p. 189 bottom – reread the section

14:27 A philosopher’s real power over mankind resides not in his metaphysical formulas – you said real power of mankind

25:11 That name does not precisely fit any quality which they exhibit – you said same

25:26 still, because, handling religious ideas, he yet, with all his wit and clear sense, he handles them wholly without the power of edification, his fame as a great man is equivocal– jumbled that sentence up bottom of p. 199

27:00 he turns so sternly upon the worshippers of the letter, - you said worship

At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"

Craig -

I just updated the revised version of this to the shared drive with the corrections based on the online text. I'm going start on the Godwin piece for "Spirit of the Age" today. This is all so fun!

Daniel

Craig
soupy

Post by soupy »

I just updated the revised version of this to the shared drive with the corrections based on the online text. I'm going start on the Godwin piece for "Spirit of the Age" today. This is all so fun!
Thanks Daniel,

Glad your sticking with Librivox - you have a great reading style -

Good Latin skills too :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Good morning!

I had a general question about the SNF collections, since I'm thinking of contributing to the next iteration as well.

Is there a mechanism in place whereby if I contributed 1 or 2 chapters (or sections) of a larger work, that these snippets could later be ported over to a full collection—like an entire book, if that project ever materialized? I was thinking of reading Moses Maimonides "The Guide for the Perplexed" (GFP) in the Michael Friedländer edition and translation, specifically (to start out with) the introductory sections by Friedländer (i.e. on the Life of Maimonides and the contents of the GFP). I thought that before committing to a "full reading" of the text, because that might be a tall order, it would be best to do something like that, but then I wasn't sure whether it would be permissible to eventually transfer these snippets into a MW for a larger project, again, assuming I had the time to do such a thing. I'm relatively comfortable with the philosophic terms, and have a passing knowledge of Biblical Hebrew and Medieval Arabic, and think I could do justice to the work. Below were a couple of the links that I found online for the Friedländer edition.

Link 1: https://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/gfp/
Link 2: https://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/maimonides-a-guide-for-the-perplexed

Daniel
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 13th, 2020, 6:42 am Good morning!

I had a general question about the SNF collections, since I'm thinking of contributing to the next iteration as well.

Is there a mechanism in place whereby if I contributed 1 or 2 chapters (or sections) of a larger work, that these snippets could later be ported over to a full collection—like an entire book, if that project ever materialized? I was thinking of reading Moses Maimonides "The Guide for the Perplexed" (GFP) in the Michael Friedländer edition and translation, specifically (to start out with) the introductory sections by Friedländer (i.e. on the Life of Maimonides and the contents of the GFP). I thought that before committing to a "full reading" of the text, because that might be a tall order, it would be best to do something like that, but then I wasn't sure whether it would be permissible to eventually transfer these snippets into a MW for a larger project, again, assuming I had the time to do such a thing. I'm relatively comfortable with the philosophic terms, and have a passing knowledge of Biblical Hebrew and Medieval Arabic, and think I could do justice to the work. Below were a couple of the links that I found online for the Friedländer edition.

Link 1: https://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/gfp/
Link 2: https://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/maimonides-a-guide-for-the-perplexed

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

The rule at LibriVox is that any specific reading (for instance a specific reading of a chapter of book read by a specific person on a specific date) can only be used once. However, there is no rule that the same material (for instance a chapter of a book, or a whole book) cannot be read more than once, by the same person or by other persons. There are many duplicates of poems, books, etc. in the catalog. I have, myself, recorded a snippet of a book I had read in its entirety as a contribution to the SNF.

Therefore, to answer your question, no, there is no way that snippets of Moses Maimonides could be transferred over to a later reading of the full text. There, are, however, also good reasons for reading something like an introductory section of an important text for the Short Nonfiction Collection. It introduces that text to listeners who might not otherwise be familiar with it, but who might enjoy or profit by the full book later on. It also might be a good way to interest somebody in becoming the proof listener for the full text.

Of the sources you posted, I personally favor the Facsimile PDF from the Online Library of Liberty, which is also available on archive.org:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=guide+for+the+perplexed+maimonides&&and[]=year%3A%221904%22. (You've already experienced what can happen as texts are transcribed from one edition to another, and from one format to another.)

I would think you could also consider starting Maimonides as a solo, and seeing how it goes. There is no time limit for completion of solos, only the expectation that there will be a steady effort (say new chapters every month or two) on the part of the reader to finish. [There are some books in the catalog which have taken readers years to complete!] Given how fast you seem to be able to read and proof your own work, my guess is you would succeed with Maimonides as a solo.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

soupy wrote: May 12th, 2020, 5:37 am Women and Holy Orders is PLOK Kevin :thumbs:

Will women ever be ordained in the Catholic Church?

She has been in many denominations :D

Craig
That's always an interesting question. For myself, I think the religious---that is, the professed---will hold on to their traditions for a long time, but that their numbers will continue to diminish to some figure that would be in keeping with people's general preference. (That is, some figure that reflects the percentage of this personality and mindset among the wider population.

I think, too, that the secularizing influences of society will be matched with a greater appearance of what one might be called 'home churches,' and there nearly anything might be expected.

I won't go on, as some seem uncomfortable with religious discussion here, but, in fact, what I am discussing is simply a matter of sociology. Hardly a frightening thing, but people are funny.
BWoodvig

Post by BWoodvig »

I'd like to read Thoughts by Myra Viola Wilds.

https://poets.org/poem/thoughts-0

That OK? Thanks
Brian