COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 074 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Or you could read a nicely selected excerpt.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Sue, Craig, and Joe -

Thank you for all of the research and advice. (And thank you, Jo, for finding a clean copy online!) I started a preliminary recording earlier today. Although it looks like a lot of pages online, it doesn't strike me as overwhelmingly long—although, again, this is all new to me, so I shouldn't go making bold pronouncements.

There is a full section break just shy of the midway point. I think I can divide this nicely into two sections, the first of which will be shorter than the second. Each section will be under the minutes required for the SNF submissions. If I can't get these done by the time the finishing touches are being made on Vol. 074, maybe it can be added to a subsequent SNF collection?

Daniel
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 8th, 2020, 6:34 pm Sue, Craig, and Joe -

Thank you for all of the research and advice. (And thank you, Jo, for finding a clean copy online!) I started a preliminary recording earlier today. Although it looks like a lot of pages online, it doesn't strike me as overwhelmingly long—although, again, this is all new to me, so I shouldn't go making bold pronouncements.

There is a full section break just shy of the midway point. I think I can divide this nicely into two sections, the first of which will be shorter than the second. Each section will be under the minutes required for the SNF submissions. If I can't get these done by the time the finishing touches are being made on Vol. 074, maybe it can be added to a subsequent SNF collection?

Daniel
Your planning for the sections sounds great! :) If you aren't done in time for 074, of course the essay can go into a subsequent volume.
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Sue, Craig, and Joe -

I just uploaded part 1 of the Matthew Arnold piece. I'm slowly starting to find some shortcuts in the recording process, such as taking a long breath and just repeating parts of the text I flubbed up in the first read and then simply cutting that when I listen through it again; but I'm still a novice at this, so any criticism will be welcome. I'm thick skinned, so I can take the punishment. I honestly think I can get part 2 finished and uploaded by Tuesday, since I'm still under quarantine, so that should be sufficient time enough to get that done. I have part 1 saved as a project, so that I can go back and revise any sections that need to be redone. I'm discovering new things about Audacity every day. Incredible program.

Title: Spinoza and The Bible (Part 1)
Author: Matthew Arnold (1822-1888)
Text URL: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924060445446&view=1up&seq=168
Duration: 34:01
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf074_spinozabiblepart1_arnold_dwd_128kb.mp3
Reader’s Name: Daniel Davison

Daniel
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Since you are new to Audacity, Daniel, let me make a suggestion. Instead of saving the audacity .aup project file, backup your original by exporting as either a .wav of .flac file in addition to the mp3 that you upload for LV. Both wav and flac are lossless formats (flac is a considerable smaller file), and will save you space in the long run. Along with a .aup file, Audacity saves tons of small files in an folder with the same name and these latter can run to gigabytes. Also if you accidentally delete or move said folder the .aup file will be useless. The other two formats are standalone files that you can open in any audio program. While the native Audacity files are useful when mixing multiple tracks as musicians do, there is no advantage to having this backup for a one track voice recording.
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Consciousness and Experience has been postponed for edits, following the guidelines in #5 of the instructions for the Short Nonfiction Collection (2-week deadline for edits unless extension requested and approved by the BC). PessimisticIdealism has been informed of the postponement by PM, as an edit to the PM which I sent him on April 27, 2020. The April 27th PM, however, has not been opened by the reader as of today's date, May 10, 2020. Consciousness and Experience has, in the meantime, been uploaded to the reader's U-Tube channel. The Bradley essay will be welcome in a future volume of SNF once the edits and the volume issue have been satisfactorily addressed. Essay was originally submitted to the SNF on April 20, 2020.
Last edited by Sue Anderson on May 10th, 2020, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm Since you are new to Audacity, Daniel, let me make a suggestion. Instead of saving the audacity .aup project file, backup your original by exporting as either a .wav of .flac file in addition to the mp3 that you upload for LV. Both wav and flac are lossless formats (flac is a considerable smaller file), and will save you space in the long run. Along with a .aup file, Audacity saves tons of small files in an folder with the same name and these latter can run to gigabytes. Also if you accidentally delete or move said folder the .aup file will be useless. The other two formats are standalone files that you can open in any audio program. While the native Audacity files are useful when mixing multiple tracks as musicians do, there is no advantage to having this backup for a one track voice recording.
Thank you, Jo, for this technical advice on saving files. Good advice for all of us! :thumbs:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 10th, 2020, 2:30 pm Sue, Craig, and Joe -

I just uploaded part 1 of the Matthew Arnold piece. I'm slowly starting to find some shortcuts in the recording process, such as taking a long breath and just repeating parts of the text I flubbed up in the first read and then simply cutting that when I listen through it again; but I'm still a novice at this, so any criticism will be welcome. I'm thick skinned, so I can take the punishment. I honestly think I can get part 2 finished and uploaded by Tuesday, since I'm still under quarantine, so that should be sufficient time enough to get that done. I have part 1 saved as a project, so that I can go back and revise any sections that need to be redone. I'm discovering new things about Audacity every day. Incredible program.

Title: Spinoza and The Bible (Part 1)
Text URL: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924060445446&view=1up&seq=168
Duration: 34:01
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf074_spinozabiblepart1_arnold_dwd_128kb.mp3

Daniel
Thank you, Daniel, for this first part of the Matthew Arnold essay! :) I have saved you a second spot in the Magic Window for the second part of Spinoza and the Bible. Don't miss the informative advice from our metacoordinator, Jo, on file formats, which is in the post just after yours above! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Weezer's recording has been moved to The Spirit of the Age; Or, Contemporary Portraits by William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Weezer you'll find your recording here :D

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78396

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Craig!
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Sue, Craig, and Joe -

Here's Part 2 of the Matthew Arnold Essay:

Title: Spinoza and The Bible (Part 2)
Duration: 34:44
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf074_spinozabiblepart2_arnold_dwd_128kb.mp3

Daniel
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Daniel :thumbs:

I'll listen later today.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: May 11th, 2020, 9:44 am Sue, Craig, and Joe -

Here's Part 2 of the Matthew Arnold Essay:

Title: Spinoza and The Bible (Part 2)
Duration: 34:44
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf074_spinozabiblepart2_arnold_dwd_128kb.mp3

Daniel
Thanks, Daniel! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Daniel :thumbs:

Very nicely read - easy to understand :D

A few errors noted:

4:05 – I confess that, while with them (the theologians) – you forgot to say while

8:26 The reason is, he says, - you left out is

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for part 2 Daniel -

I coudn't tell if he liked Spinoza or not from the first part but he surely did in the second.

a few errors noted:

1:41 He points out how the account of Og’s iron bedstead: you said bed – later it refers to bedstead again

4:17 important to observe that nowhere distinctly gives his opinion about the Bible’s fundamental character – you said he does not give

6:02 but he asserts that the divine voice which uttered the commandments on Mount Sinai was a read voice – you forgot to read divine

6:22 Still he asserts the divine voice to have been a real one – forgot to say divine

11:51 the perpetual reproach of impurity and rejection cast upon the priesthood of the tribe of Levi? You said cast upon the masses of the Hebrew nation -- p. 189 bottom – reread the section

14:27 A philosopher’s real power over mankind resides not in his metaphysical formulas – you said real power of mankind

25:11 That name does not precisely fit any quality which they exhibit – you said same

25:26 still, because, handling religious ideas, he yet, with all his wit and clear sense, he handles them wholly without the power of edification, his fame as a great man is equivocal– jumbled that sentence up bottom of p. 199

27:00 he turns so sternly upon the worshippers of the letter, - you said worship

At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge