COMPLETE Book of Tobit (Douay-Rheims)-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

I forgot to mention I didn't read the titles and summaries which I assume are not part of the text since they don't have verse numbers.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ancientchristian wrote: May 10th, 2020, 12:03 am I forgot to mention I didn't read the titles and summaries which I assume are not part of the text since they don't have verse numbers.
As to this, my take on it is that, although they were not part of the original text of Tobias, they are part of this translation/this version of the text and should therefore be included. Since what we're presenting is the Douay-Rheims version, and these are present in every copy I can find, I believe it would be unfaithful to this version to omit them.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I do have a question for you regarding footnotes, for example:
For as the kings insulted over holy Job: so his relations and kinsmen mocked at his life, saying:

Kings… So Job's three friends are here called, because they were princes in their respective territories.
Normally we include footnotes if they add additional information or help to illumine the meaning of the text, as I believe this does. However, we usually also leave the final decision up to the BC/soloist.

For the same reason I gave regarding headings, I would include this if I were you. If you do read a footnote, you should wait for the first natural break in the flow, at the end of a clause or sentence, then say "Footnote." Read the footnote, then "End of footnote" and then continue on. Here it would be something like:
For as the kings insulted over holy Job -- (Footnote: Kings... So Job's three friends are here called, because they were princes in their respective territories. End of footnote.) --so his relations and kinsmen mocked at his life, saying:
For now, I will note these in my PL notes to you, until I hear otherwise.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here are the notes that I have for you for section 1:

0:16 Heading: "Tobias's early piety: his works of mercy, particularly in burying the dead."
3:22 Missing word (underlined). Doesn't change the meaning, but leaves out a detail. Optional to fix: "But Tobias fleeing naked away with his son and with his wife..."
3:40 Heading: "Tobias leaveth his dinner to bury the dead: he loseth his sight by God's permission, for manifestation of his patience."
5:38 Footnote: "Kings… So Job's three friends are here called, because they were princes in their respective territories."
6:39 Heading: "The prayer of Tobias, and of Sara, in their several afflictions, are heard by God, and the angel Raphael is sent to relieve them."
7:39 Footnote: "Rages… In the Greek it is Ecbatana, which was also called Rages. For there were two cities in Media of the name of Rages. Raguel dwelt in one of them, and Gabelus in the other."
10:11 Heading: "Tobias thinking he shall die, giveth his son godly admonitions: and telleth him of money he had lent to a friend."
13:04 Heading: "Young Tobias seeking a guide for his journey, the angel Raphael, in shape of a man, undertaketh this office."
15:29 Footnote: "Azarias… The angel took the form of Azarias: and therefore might call himself by the name of the man whom he personated. Azarias, in Hebrew, signifies the help of God, and Ananias the grace of God."

As I said, I'd opt to include both headings and footnotes. I'd consider both to be an important part of this version, and to help the reader to understand the story. If you want to insert these, the easiest way (and forgive me if you already know this trick) is to start at the end of the list and work your way backwards. This way, the time stamps don't change, and it's easier to find each spot.
ancientchristian

You're right they are part of both those links, and they are certainly informative. But is there any chance I could change the link to a version which doesn't have the footnotes or headings?

https://ebible.org/engDRA/TOB01.htm

or,

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Tobit+1&version=DRA

or,

https://archive.org/details/engDRA_all/mode/2up

I'm a bit of a Bible purest and a bit lazy, so I'd rather skip them.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

There's actually no need to change the source text. What I posted to you was my own initial take on it, nothing more. I then went and asked the opinion of some other admins, and the general consensus was that they're optional.
Chapter summaries at the beginning of chapters that just list all the topics covered in that chapter are generally considered optional. Some readers like to include them, while others think they are redundant. Omitting these is discretionary. However, if it's more on the order of the title of the chapter, then they should be included.
And footnotes have always been optional. So if you want to commit them both, that's ok. In that case, the only other note I had for you for section 1 (which was also optional, so let me know if you plan to address it or not) was:

3:22 Missing word (underlined). Doesn't change the meaning, but leaves out a detail. Optional to fix: "But Tobias fleeing naked away with his son and with his wife..."
ancientchristian

OK great. That saves me some serious editing. I uploaded the change and also did some editing of the sound (put more bass in and removed some silent sections).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sorry I haven't had the chance to finish PLing over this last week, but here it is!

Section 1 is PL ok.

Section 2:

2:10 There's a change here that alters the meaning. Text reads "and whereas I am the only child of my parents..." I hear "and whereas I am only a child of my parents..."
7:52 Pronoun switch here that is confusing. Text reads "Send one of thy maids, and let her see if he be dead." I hear "and let her see if she be dead."
Kind of nitpicky, but there are only four seconds of silence at the end. Should be five. It'll be easy to just copy/paste an extra second of silence in.

Section 3 is PL ok. :thumbs:
ancientchristian

OK changes made... even though I'm only a child of my parents... I'm glad you noticed that.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great, I'll get started cataloguing!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/bible-drv-apocryphadeuterocanon-book-of-tobit-tobias-version-2-by-douay-rheims-version-drv/