[SCIENCE] The Outline of Science Vol. 4 by J. Arthur Thomson - availle

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
tcjsavannah

Post by tcjsavannah » May 7th, 2020, 7:39 am

chulsky wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:23 am
Great reading, TCJ!
Just a little too quiet. We should add some 4 dB, but you may have to compress the recording with Audacity first.

Ava, I tried to find some help re. compression for TCJ, but the search in our wiki is not working, would you please alert support people? Thank you!
Hi there. I have re-uploaded after amplifying the recording. I checked it with the Checker app as well as it says it passed. Hopefully this does the trick!

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outlineofsciencevol4_thomson_128kb.mp3

-- Chad

chulsky

Post by chulsky » May 7th, 2020, 8:29 am

Thank you, Chad,
The volume is at the lower threshold, but acceptable. Try to find youtube help clips for Audacity made by Phil Chenevert, there is a lot of good stuff there.
Now, the file name is wrong, it should be outlineofsciencevol4_23_thomson_128kb.mp3, not outlineofsciencevol4_thomson_128kb.mp3. Please rename and re-upload, no other changes please.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова
PL/DPL in Russian invited: Аграфена

EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman » May 7th, 2020, 9:01 am

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 7th, 2020, 9:20 am

Hi, I would like to take the 2 sections of Science of the Sea, please :)
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

tcjsavannah

Post by tcjsavannah » May 7th, 2020, 10:57 am

chulsky wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 8:29 am
Thank you, Chad,
The volume is at the lower threshold, but acceptable. Try to find youtube help clips for Audacity made by Phil Chenevert, there is a lot of good stuff there.
Now, the file name is wrong, it should be outlineofsciencevol4_23_thomson_128kb.mp3, not outlineofsciencevol4_thomson_128kb.mp3. Please rename and re-upload, no other changes please.
Uploaded with right filename.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outlineofsciencevol4_23_thomson_128kb.mp3

-- Chad

chulsky

Post by chulsky » May 7th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Sec.23 PL OK, thank you, Chad :thumbs:

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 7th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Thank you all for your claims/files/PLing! :clap:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

jeremy1111

Post by jeremy1111 » May 7th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Hello! Could I take section 13 please?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 7th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Hi there and welcome to LV and to this project! :D
Before I sign you up for this section, please do your one-minute test. It's not so much a test for you than for your equipment, so we can be sure everything works perfectly (or at least: good enough for us). Do your test and post it over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted". Your welcome mail has more info about it.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 8th, 2020, 9:53 am

Hi. I'm pre-reading my section and have some questions. What do we do in the following cases:
- ("see [TITLE OF A DIFFERENT CHAPTER]")
- in-line reference to a page number (e.g "see page xxxx")
- in-line reference to a photo (e.g. "see the picture of ... on page xxx)
- in-line reference to the names of authors of bibliographical material (e.g "so it it with the deep sea and the swells" (Maury and Simonds))

Skip 2 and 3, I guess, since they have no use in an audio material, possibly retain 1. I don't know about 4 (perhaps retain if they are specifially mentioned in the text).

Suggestions?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

chulsky

Post by chulsky » May 8th, 2020, 11:16 am

Piotrek81 wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 9:53 am
Hi. I'm pre-reading my section and have some questions. What do we do in the following cases:
- in-line reference to the names of authors of bibliographical material (e.g "so it it with the deep sea and the swells" (Maury and Simonds))

Skip 2 and 3, I guess, since they have no use in an audio material, possibly retain 1. I don't know about 4 (perhaps retain if they are specifially mentioned in the text).

Suggestions?
I suggest, retain 1 and 4, skip 2,3. My reasoning: imagine someone listens to research the history of science, then a reference to authors or bibliography would be useful. OTOH, I doubt anyone would use this production to learn, as it was intended 100 years ago, so 2 and 3 are useless.
FWIW.

hertzm

Post by hertzm » May 8th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Availle wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:15 am
Are you following me around somehow? :lol:

Same things as I posted in the Fossil Hunter's thread: viewtopic.php?p=1712567#p1712567
Please do your test, think about a forum name and get back to me.

Have fun on here! :D
haha, it looks like we just have very similar tastes! here's a my one-minute test:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79862

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 8th, 2020, 5:01 pm

chulsky wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 11:16 am
Piotrek81 wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 9:53 am

Suggestions?
I suggest, retain 1 and 4, skip 2,3. My reasoning: imagine someone listens to research the history of science, then a reference to authors or bibliography would be useful. OTOH, I doubt anyone would use this production to learn, as it was intended 100 years ago, so 2 and 3 are useless.
FWIW.
:lol: Yes yes, 3 people - 3 opinions.

The only thing I would leave out is 4 - IF this is indeed in parenthesis. This could just as well be a footnote and we usually omit the purely bibliographical ones.
2&3 is more tricky. Again, if it's in parenthesis, I would leave it out in any case. As part of a sentence... well... I guess the question is whether the sentence makes sense after you left out the reference. I agree that refering to page numbers in an audiobook is a bit weird, but at the same time, we don't know if the listener doesn't have the book open and/or nearby and would like to quickly have a look at that image.

So yeah. No fixed rules, really. :D
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 8th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Thanks for your opinions :) We're not supposed to read the bibliography hence my idea to possibly skip 4. If someone is following the text while listening, they will know what is going on and consult the bibliography anyway, if they are interested. Same with 2 and 3. One still makes sense while only listening (again, if someone is reading along, they will know what is going on, anyway).

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » May 9th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Hi,

Maybe it is still available because people are superstitious, but may I claim Section 13?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Food may be the best fuel for the machine, but where life's wheels grate dry, happiness is a good oil. -J. Arthur Thomson