[COMPLETE][Short stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 05 February 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
helenmiddlerasen

Post by helenmiddlerasen »

Brilliant! Thanks - Helen Taylor from Lincolnshire UK please - also, I have a question about the text, on page 43 there's a section that says B_______ and I can't figure out what that is? Can you help?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:25 am Brilliant! Thanks - Helen Taylor from Lincolnshire UK please - also, I have a question about the text, on page 43 there's a section that says B_______ and I can't figure out what that is? Can you help?
I'll have a look, wait a second.

Just to make clear, you want the shire included as well in your name ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:25 amI have a question about the text, on page 43 there's a section that says B_______ and I can't figure out what that is? Can you help?
ah ok, this is often a device to keep place names or dates anonymous, for example you also sometimes have "in the year 18__", so as not be too specific about the date.

There are several ways to say this, what I personally would do is let my voice drift off a bit "sent Mrs Prince to Beee... by mistake". Two lines down you have the same thing with "I am in the __ hospital", I would make a short stop before hospital, also to notify the listener that there is something omitted, sort of like "I am in the-uuh (-) hospital". (no need to make it extreme, I only write it this way to give you an accurate impression of what I mean) Other readers would maybe say "I am in the -blank- hospital", but that could lead to confusion as well, thinking the hospital is called blank. The trailing off of the voice would be a good device in that case as well.

I think those are the two methods I already encountered to treat this sort of problem.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:25 amHelen Taylor from Lincolnshire UK please
ok here is your brand new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14245
If you decide to shorten the reader name after all, let me know, I can still change it. :)

Here you will see all your projects listed and can keep track what sections are still on your to do list.

And now have fun with your first section ! :D

Sonia
helenmiddlerasen

Oh fab I'll do the fade away option - re my name, just Helen Taylor! Not the Lincolnshire bit :) ta! I'll get on it tomorrow.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:48 amre my name, just Helen Taylor! Not the Lincolnshire bit :)
ok it's shortened up again :)

Sonia
helenmiddlerasen

Thank you! :thumbs:
helenmiddlerasen

Hi Sonia,

Here is section 5 - please let me know if I need to change anything. It meets the parameters of the checker

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/librivox_helen_taylor_blackcat_princeward.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:54 am Here is section 5 - please let me know if I need to change anything. It meets the parameters of the checker
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/librivox_helen_taylor_blackcat_princeward.mp3
thank you Helen, that was fast ! I will listen to this tomorrow, but a small note right from the start: in the first post you can see an example of how to correctly name the file, which is not how you did it. It should have been: blackcat0105feb1896_5_various_128kb

But wait till I have listened to it, in case there are other errors to correct. No need to reupload right away. What I would need however is the length of the file, please always state that when posting your link :) Then I can update the Magic Window accordingly.

Oh and I sent you a PM this afternoon, I hope you got a notification email :)

More feedback tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Sonia
helenmiddlerasen

I didn't get it! But I will look now - ah, apologies re the file name - I'll sort tomorrow after you tell me if I need to change loads of other things lol! It's quite a lot to figure out at the start :) good, but proper confusing every now and again!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

helenmiddlerasen wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:54 amHere is section 5 - please let me know if I need to change anything. It meets the parameters of the checker
ok here we go, I just had an enjoyable half hour of listening to this really creepy story. :shock: First off, your narrative skill is very cool, I really loved to listen to your voice. You have a calm way of narrating, interspersed with lively action and dramatic reading in character, which I personally like very much. Everything perfectly easy to listen to and follow along.

Careful though, in your excitement you let your volume go up quite a bit, this can create clipping which may distort the voice if it's too often. One can practice to "scream" without raising the voice too much, just like you can convey "whispering" in a volume that is still audible. I practiced that a lot in the drama forum (btw it may interest you to take part there, always looking for new dramatic talents :mrgreen: )

Now here are a few small edits to make, on the whole it was nearly word-perfect, but I found a few bits to correct. Editing is not too difficult, simply re-record the sentence that was wrong into another Audacity window, then noise-clean and amplify as needed, highlight it and copy/paste it into the correct slot in the masterfile. I usually then listen to the sentence before and after and maybe adjust the volume a bit more so it doesn't sound too strange.

Here are the spots that need changing:

> at 0:01: "The Prince ward, by Claude M. Girardeau" as mentioned, please add the correct intro disclaimer, which should start with: "Section 5 of The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 05 February 1896." instead of the title

> at 0:18: the second part of the intro disclaimer is missing here, please add: "The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 05 February 1896. Section 5" and then you can start with the title as you correctly did

> at 24:39: (p. 43) "that sent Mrs Prince to B-- by mistake": I don't hear "B" here at all, :hmm: maybe you cut it out by mistake. Actually it would have been easier if you had said "Be" instead of just "B" without a vowel behind ;)

> at 26:16: (p. 44) missed part of sentence (underlined) "...more critically ill than herself, and the number of nurses was so reduced, that she was of necessity..."

> at 26:56: (p. 44) "two beautiful arms closed about her ample neck" – you say "back", this may be optional, as her back was probably ample as well :lol: and it still conveys a sort of the same meaning of hugging

> at 30:05: the outro also needs to be standardized, in this case: "End of Section 5" (without repeating the title)

> finally at the end of each recording we leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, simply so it doesn't break off abruptly

> since you are reuploading anyway, please also remember to change the filename: blackcat0105feb1896_5_various_128kb

thank you very much, Helen, it's an excellent first recording and I hope to hear many more stories by you (hopefully some in future black cats :9: )

Sonia
helenmiddlerasen

Thank you Sonia, this is great feedback - thank you for being so generous with your time. I'll sort the edits tomorrow. I'm really happy you enjoyed listening, and I'll definitely have a look at the dramatic readings section. And watch my volume. I did notice that, and had a bit of a look at how to sort it with audacity - but decided that level of technical wizardry was probably best saved for a later date, having consumed more hours of 'how to do x' on YouTube.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

queenk8 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 9:42 amSection 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_01_various_128kb.mp3
time: 26:03
aaaaaah, I was screaming aloud in frustration at the ending here. Why oh why can't we know what was written on the card ? This story was extremely agonizing just for that mystery alone. I love a good mystery but it needs to be solved in the end. :evil: Guess we'll never know, but the woman was some supernatural element, otherwise the card would not have been erased in the end. Intriguing somehow.

Wonderfully narrated again, Kate. :9: Thank you so much.

There are a few snippets I would suggest though:

> at 23:10: (p. 9) after "that he see this woman" there is a bit of a coughing sound, which can be cut out
> at 24:14: (p. 9) after "I wanted you to...to..." a pause of 2.5 seconds feels quite long to wait for the story to continue, I would cut this part by one second at least
> at 24:22: (p. 9) "and she fell back" - not sure but I think I hear "he fell back" :hmm:
> at 25:52-25:56: also here, 4 seconds is too long before the end disclaimer

oh and since you are reuploading anyway, please change the filename to only 1 digit (1 instead of 01) since we have less than 10 sections anyway.

thanks

Sonia
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2020, 5:35 am
queenk8 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 9:42 amSection 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0105feb1896_01_various_128kb.mp3
time: 26:03
aaaaaah, I was screaming aloud in frustration at the ending here. Why oh why can't we know what was written on the card ? This story was extremely agonizing just for that mystery alone. I love a good mystery but it needs to be solved in the end. :evil: Guess we'll never know, but the woman was some supernatural element, otherwise the card would not have been erased in the end. Intriguing somehow.

Wonderfully narrated again, Kate. :9: Thank you so much.

There are a few snippets I would suggest though:

> at 23:10: (p. 9) after "that he see this woman" there is a bit of a coughing sound, which can be cut out
> at 24:14: (p. 9) after "I wanted you to...to..." a pause of 2.5 seconds feels quite long to wait for the story to continue, I would cut this part by one second at least
> at 24:22: (p. 9) "and she fell back" - not sure but I think I hear "he fell back" :hmm:
> at 25:52-25:56: also here, 4 seconds is too long before the end disclaimer

oh and since you are reuploading anyway, please change the filename to only 1 digit (1 instead of 01) since we have less than 10 sections anyway.

thanks

Sonia
I'll get those cleaned up today - funny, but I lost my place when I was listening back and indeed, I missed a section. Will get the fixed file resubmitted later. Thanks! And yes, that was frustrating. We'll have to let our imaginations run wild wondering what could have been written.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?