Continuity of accents

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Amanda70

Post by Amanda70 »

Hi there, I’m new to LibriVix and have a question, apologies if it sounds like a silly question! 😄 I am British, so if I were to read a chapter or two of a collaborative book, surely it would be a problem for listeners to hear a switch? If so, is there a way for me to search for projects that are looking for a British voice? Thanks in advance
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It's not a silly question! You don't know what you don't know, right?

But actually, we're not at all concerned with which accents are "right" for certain books, or anything like that. Some readers may be worried about it for themselves, and that's fine. For instance, there are some US readers who would never presume to read Sherlock Holmes, or some European readers who'd never dream of recording Huckleberry Finn. But that's entirely their decision. You'll never be barred from reading something you want to read because you don't have the "right" accent. Which is lucky for me, because my favorite author is Scottish, and I've lived in Texas my whole life!

Are listeners bothered by hearing a variety of accents? Some are, probably, and I'd be lying if I said that no one has ever complained. But, to be blunt, that's really more their problem than ours. :wink: We read what we like. And I'm sure that many listeners, like myself, are delighted with the vast amount of diversity they get to hear. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I would venture that people who are bothered by a change of accent/voice/person during the course of a book would not choose to listen to a group recording anyway.

Which is a pity, really, because they probably lose out on multiple levels.

PS: Welcome to LV! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
loon

Post by loon »

One of the great things about collaborative works is the variety of voices and accents. I especially like it when readers include their names and hometowns - I get the feeling that people all over the world are reading to me. (And they are!)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I welcome all kinds of accents! (I can't really decline anyone for my projects). Honestly, I think it makes this place more alive with how many different sounding people there are. I think it just adds to the fun of everything here :D
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

So, I might do my next book/short story or whatever - in a French accent!
Amanda70

Post by Amanda70 »

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies, sending love and best wishes to the US from here in England! 👋🙏That’s great, I’ll get going then! 🤗