[COMPLETE] The Life of a Fossil Hunter by Charles Sternberg - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Serrata9

Post by Serrata9 »

Changed my mind, can delete this
Last edited by Serrata9 on May 6th, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, sounds just like the project for you. :lol:

Please do your test first, however. It's not for you as such, but to make sure that your equipment can handle what you'll be throwing at it. :wink: Your welcome mail has a "how-to"; just post your finished test over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted" and once you have that [OK], please get back to me.

Also, I'll need a catalog name to sign you up officially. If you're planning on saying your name in the recording, this would be a good choice so that your fans can find you in our catalog, but anything goes, really.

Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Serrata9

Post by Serrata9 »

Delete, accidently made a new post
tjesker

Post by tjesker »

Hi I would like to volunteer for sections 5, 6 and 7 please. Fine to use my real name Tom Esker or TomEsker if no spaces allowed.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Greetings! I'd like to claim 8, 9, 10 and 11
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

tjesker wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:12 am Hi I would like to volunteer for sections 5, 6 and 7 please. Fine to use my real name Tom Esker or TomEsker if no spaces allowed.
Hi there and welcome back!
I see your test got an [OK], so I'll sign you up for those sections. They are pretty long though - more than 30 minutes finished recording - so be warned. :wink:

Let me know if you have questions and: Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

RitaBoutros wrote: May 7th, 2020, 5:02 am Greetings! I'd like to claim 8, 9, 10 and 11
Great, thank you Rita! 3 sections 4u!

Section 11 was claimed a few days back by somebody else - I have suggested he'll do a test first. If you don't mind, I'd prefer to wait a few more days to see if he's coming back before assigning it to you. Thanks for your understanding! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tjesker

Post by tjesker »

Availle wrote: May 7th, 2020, 5:20 am
tjesker wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:12 am Hi I would like to volunteer for sections 5, 6 and 7 please. Fine to use my real name Tom Esker or TomEsker if no spaces allowed.
Hi there and welcome back!
I see your test got an [OK], so I'll sign you up for those sections. They are pretty long though - more than 30 minutes finished recording - so be warned. :wink:

Let me know if you have questions and: Have fun! :D
Thank you very much! I recently read Michael Crichton's posthumously published book "Dragon Teeth" and he used this book as part of his research and even quoted parts of it in his book. In the appendix this book is highly recommended for additional reading. I had planned to read it anyway - so am very excited about having the chance to read some of the chapters for Librivox!
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Hi Availle,
could I PL the first section? :)

Thanks,
Kudrna
Kudrna
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes, please go ahead! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Raviolli

Post by Raviolli »

PROOFLISTEN OF SECTION 1 BY adrianstephens
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning (GOOD)

Original Text: ''weaving willow twigs in..'' - 1:46 - Recording says: Trigs instead of twigs
Original Text: The boy climbed a shock of oats - Recording says ''shock of oaks'' - 05:06
Original Text: as my mother called me, following him, - Recording says ''followed him'' - 05:11
Original Text: rheumatism settled in the lame leg. - Recording says ''into the lame leg'' - 06:22
Original Text: slung-shot wound in my forehead. - Recording says ''wound on my forehead'' 19:25
Original Text: - A tiny tiny jump in volume - don't know, in my opinion just turning the part down a tiny bit would normalize it - 28:48
Original Text: the finest species contained - Recording says '' finest specimens'' 30:47
Original Text: I prize highly, have done more - Recording says ''having done more'' 35:47
Original Text: to the air, began to “weather.” - Recording does not say quote - unquote for the word weather 41:49 - but it has been said previously in the recording for other words.

Didn't hear any repetition or anything like that.
First time posting in LibriVox, sorry for any mistakes. Great recording though! I liked it a lot. :D :D
:9:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LibriVox / this project and thank you for helping with PLing!

However, please don't do it like this again... :shock:
I appreciate that you want to help (especially with PLing), but we are working on a first-claim-first-do basis here, mostly to avoid duplication of effort (finishing an audiobook is a lot of work even without!) As you can see, Kudrna has asked to listen to this one about 5 hours before you did and may have already started with it... :?

So please please before you PL again or even record, do post a quick note in the thread that you want to do something. It helps people see what is already off the table and it avoids awkward situations for the whole team, in particular for the Book Coordinator who will have to smooth out ripples (and who may not be good at it... :oops: ).
Thank you!

However, since it's already done (thank you again!), we can just as well use your notes. Since this is a "standard" project, you don't need to look for minor discrepancies that don't change the meaning of the sentence. So, I would say that this is the only thing that would warrant a change, if you're up for it Adrian:
Raviolli wrote: May 7th, 2020, 2:03 pm Original Text: the finest species contained - Recording says '' finest specimens'' 30:47
Also, Adrian, about the quote/unquote thing: It's fine if you just change your tone of voice for single quotes like the "weather" thing. Personally, I only use quote/unquote for longer quotations from other books or other people. Don't bother about changing it for this recording, but think about it for your next ones. Thank you!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Raviolli

Post by Raviolli »

Since I can't contact directly, Kudrna, I apologize for any time I might've wasted for you. :(
Mistakes were made, I'll be more careful and attentive. Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience once again.
:9:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, it happens. Don't worry about it.

Besides, we still do need a DPL (dedicated proof listener) to listen to the whole project... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Raviolli wrote: May 7th, 2020, 5:33 pm Since I can't contact directly, Kudrna, I apologize for any time I might've wasted for you. :(
Mistakes were made, I'll be more careful and attentive. Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience once again.
Fortunately, I haven't started PLing it, so it's completely ok :lol: I'm afraid I wouldn't handle DPLing this whole project though, so I'll just look around for something else.
By the way, you should be able to send me a private message; when clicking on my profile, there's the button on the bottom of the page. But at least it's clear for anyone here now :D

Cheers,
Kudrna
Kudrna