[COMPLETE][SOLO][CZECH][Fantasy] Krysař by Viktor Dyk - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Wow, that's admirable range of languages! It must be great to know you're able to understand the majority of Europeans :lol:
oh no I would not presume that I really fully understand all these languages, far from it. I only understand some words here and there and can get a gist of it all when I compare to other languages I know. But to really understand and speak I am not good enough.
I tried to make the length of the pauses more appropriate; let me know what you think about it :)
yes absolutely better like this. It's more fluent, there are no unnecessary lengths and still you are not speaking too fast to follow. :thumbs: Perfect like that. Also I didn't hear any errors, so these two are PL ok.

Going good :)

Sonia
Annacerv

Post by Annacerv »

Hi there!
I am another Czech, registered a long time ago and all this time gathering the courage to record the test. I wish to record Karel Čapek's works eventually but it just seemed like a huge project to start with. Can I join yours and practice on it?
What exactly should I say in the test when I am testing Czech? Or should I just record the English version?
Thank you for any advice!
Těším se na spolupráci!
Anna
Anna z Brna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Annacerv wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 11:04 amI am another Czech, registered a long time ago and all this time gathering the courage to record the test. I wish to record Karel Čapek's works eventually but it just seemed like a huge project to start with. Can I join yours and practice on it?
of course you can ! this is an open group project, so the more the merrier. And these sections are very short, so it's perfect to practice for newbies. :D Just let me know which section you would like to claim and what reader name you want to go by, then I can open your reader page.
What exactly should I say in the test when I am testing Czech? Or should I just record the English version?
it doesn't matter what you say or in what language. The test is primarily to check the technical settings. You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Then post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then we can assign you the desired section(s) officially.

Welcome aboard :)

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Annacerv wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 11:04 am Hi there!
I am another Czech, registered a long time ago and all this time gathering the courage to record the test. I wish to record Karel Čapek's works eventually but it just seemed like a huge project to start with. Can I join yours and practice on it?
Thank you for any advice!
Těším se na spolupráci!
Anna
Hi Anna and welcome! :)
Yes, Karel Čapek's works are definitely worth recording; I was actually considering them when picking a Czech book to start with (but I chose Krysař instead because it's shorter and easier for the begining). Maybe I'll launch it when Krysař is done or you can become a Book Coordinator yourself when you gain some experience of how it all works here.
If you wish to contribute to Krysař, I'll be looking forward for your recording! :clap: It's a bit lonely here now, as you can see :D If you have any other questions, please post them here or send me a PM.
Taky se těším :)
Kudrna
Kudrna
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:12 am oh no I would not presume that I really fully understand all these languages, far from it. I only understand some words here and there and can get a gist of it all when I compare to other languages I know. But to really understand and speak I am not good enough.
Well, then it's at least a good start if you decide to learn one of the languages more deeply someday :)

Here are sections 4 and 5:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_04_dyk_128kb.mp3
02:14
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_05_dyk_128kb.mp3
02:57

As I was listening to the recordings, I realized that sometimes the sibilants are quite sharp (hard to say whether it's the Czech language or just my way of pronunciation). So I applied something called Low-Pass Filter in Audacity, to see what it does. It's only on the fifth section, so if you get the impression that it's somehow strange, that's probably it :D I'd say it sounds better, however, I'd like to know what you think about it :)
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: May 5th, 2020, 8:00 amAs I was listening to the recordings, I realized that sometimes the sibilants are quite sharp (hard to say whether it's the Czech language or just my way of pronunciation). So I applied something called Low-Pass Filter in Audacity, to see what it does. It's only on the fifth section, so if you get the impression that it's somehow strange, that's probably it :D I'd say it sounds better, however, I'd like to know what you think about it :)
hm, there were no disturbing sibilants for my ears, but some frequencies I don't hear so well, so you may well have heard something. In any case, both sections are PL ok. The quality for me is totally fine in both sections. I've never applied such a filter, but if you like this method better, feel free to use it :)

Thanks

Sonia
Annacerv

Post by Annacerv »

Hello again :)

Thanks both of you for your kind words!

I have managed to pass the test (:clap:) and will look into which section to record probably tomorrow.
Anna z Brna
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Annacerv wrote: May 7th, 2020, 1:17 pm Hello again :)

Thanks both of you for your kind words!

I have managed to pass the test (:clap:) and will look into which section to record probably tomorrow.
That's great! :thumbs: So just let me know then which section(s) you want to record and also under which name you'd like to be in the LibriVox catalogue, so I can add you as a reader; we can also add your personal URL, if you wish :)
Kudrna
Annacerv

Post by Annacerv »

Great! So I have looked and I can take the next 2 chapters X and XI / sections 10 and 11.

About my name: I would like to call myself "Anna z Brna" on the recordings (there's a nice rhythm to it ;)) but if it is easier to choose one without spaces for the system, you can register me as Annacerv. Let me know if there are any other tips or instructions for me to follow (of course I will follow the ones in the first post here).
Thank you!
Anna z Brna
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Annacerv wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:20 am Great! So I have looked and I can take the next 2 chapters X and XI / sections 10 and 11.

About my name: I would like to call myself "Anna z Brna" on the recordings (there's a nice rhythm to it ;)) but if it is easier to choose one without spaces for the system, you can register me as Annacerv. Let me know if there are any other tips or instructions for me to follow (of course I will follow the ones in the first post here).
Thank you!
The sections are yours :wink:
I think that if something is really important for the pleasure when listening to our recordings, it's the slower pace. It took me some time to realize it (now when I listen to my older recordings, I can't believe it didn't feel weird for me to read it so fast :roll: ). But I think you won't have any problems with it – I listened to your one minute test recording and your pace was pleasant to listen to :)
Have fun! So happy this is now truly "collaborative" project :9:
Kudrna
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Hi Sonia,
I uploaded other three sections (the longest one (probably) done, yay :mrgreen:).
I wonder if it's somehow better for you if I also add the links and durations here or if it's ok just to upload them into the MW and let you know in a post like this.. It's easier to do the copying and pasting of the links and durations just once, but if you prefer having it in the post too, no problem :)

Kudrna
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:38 amI wonder if it's somehow better for you if I also add the links and durations here or if it's ok just to upload them into the MW and let you know in a post like this.. It's easier to do the copying and pasting of the links and durations just once, but if you prefer having it in the post too, no problem :)
well actually since you are also updating the MW it's not necessary for you to post the links here, but you need to make a short note, so I get alerted that something new is posted. However, all the other readers need to post the link here, so that you can copy/paste them into the MW. That's why in group projects we usually all post the links, while in Solos we don't insist much on it, because the reader is also updating the MW.

Will PL this afternoon if all goes well, thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:38 amI uploaded other three sections (the longest one (probably) done, yay :mrgreen:).
and three perfect recordings again :clap: Yes 12 minutes was long for this book :lol: but still, it's a short chapter. For me it's also more easy to listen to shorter chapters, especially in a language I don't know well. I cannot concentrate as long then. But here all went well, you read very well and nicely-paced.

All three sections PL ok.

thank you

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2020, 2:19 am For me it's also more easy to listen to shorter chapters, especially in a language I don't know well. I cannot concentrate as long then.
I know exactly what you mean – I started PLing one project in Spanish, which I don't understand as much as English, and I'm so glad the chapters are only a few minutes long :D

I uploaded other three sections for PL :)

Kudrna
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:02 amI uploaded other three sections for PL :)
and those three are also PL ok. :clap: Thank you for making my job so easy here, it's really an agreeable listen throughout :9: and you are so meticulous about correcting all your mistakes that I don't find anything to note down. Bravo !

Have a nice weekend

Sonia