COMPLETE - GRP - The Suppression of the African Slave Trade by W.E.B. Du Bois - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
democraticnonsense

Post by democraticnonsense »

The Suppression of the African Slave Trade to the United States of America, by W.E.B. Du Bois .

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-suppression-of-the-african-slave-trade-to-the-united-states-of-america-1638-1870-volume-1-by-w-e-b-du-bois/

11/7/2020 KevinS is now the BC and DPL for this project.
The question of the suppression of the slave-trade is so intimately connected with the questions as to its rise, the system of American slavery, and the whole colonial policy of the eighteenth century, that it is difficult to isolate it, and at the same time to avoid superficiality on the one hand, and unscientific narrowness of view on the other. While I could not hope entirely to overcome such a difficulty, I nevertheless trust that I have succeeded in rendering this monograph a small contribution to the scientific study of slavery and the American Negro. (W.E. BURGHARDT Du BOIS)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17700
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    6. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: history, slavery, Europe, United States, colonialism, slave trade, trans-atlantic slavery, african slave trade, plantations
      ============================================
    7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    8. DURING recording:
      Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Suppression of the African Slave Trade to the United States of America, 1638-1870, Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]"
      • Say:
        "The Suppression of the African Slave Trade to the United States of America, 1638-1870, by W.E.B. Du Bois. [Chapter title from the MW]" Please review the notes column. There may be additional titling required.

Do not read the footnotes

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [#], [if applicable, part number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Suppression of the African Slave Trade to the United States of America, 1638-1870, Volume 1, by W.E.B. Du Bois."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    9. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      suppressionafricanslavetrade_##_dubois_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. suppressionafricanslavetrade_04_dubois_128kb.mp3)
    10. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
...Not even the rain...
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LibriVox! :D

I see that you've entered the testing phase already - always a good start!

However, this book as a first solo is not a good start. As a rough estimate, this will run up somewhere around 15 - 20 hours of completed recording, which means we're talking about a total work load of 45 - 80 hours, if not more (because you'll have to do the editing too). Usually, people can record a couple of hours a day maximum, so this is likely to take months until completion, even for an experienced narrator.

I would strongly encourage you to pick something significantly shorter as a first solo (below 5 hours completed length, that's about 40.000 words) before you embark on something extensive like this.

Plus, it's always a good idea to try your hand at a few sections in a group project so you understand how we do stuff here and how much work a single section really is.

Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but I (actually: we all) prefer our newbies not to burn out before they are addicted to LV yet... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kwase

Post by Kwase »

Excellent, will do
democraticnonsense

Availle wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:00 am Hi there and welcome to LibriVox! :D

I see that you've entered the testing phase already - always a good start!

However, this book as a first solo is not a good start. As a rough estimate, this will run up somewhere around 15 - 20 hours of completed recording, which means we're talking about a total work load of 45 - 80 hours, if not more (because you'll have to do the editing too). Usually, people can record a couple of hours a day maximum, so this is likely to take months until completion, even for an experienced narrator.

I would strongly encourage you to pick something significantly shorter as a first solo (below 5 hours completed length, that's about 40.000 words) before you embark on something extensive like this.

Plus, it's always a good idea to try your hand at a few sections in a group project so you understand how we do stuff here and how much work a single section really is.

Sorry to be the wet blanket here, but I (actually: we all) prefer our newbies not to burn out before they are addicted to LV yet... :mrgreen:
Hello,

I appreciate your suggestion.

I will say this: the book is formatted in a way that makes it easy to read.

I am currently furloughed and have quite a bit of time on my hands.

However, if you do not want me to embark on this project, please explicitly say so.
...Not even the rain...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Alexander!

No one here is going to tell you that we don't want you to work on a new project. Of course we want you to! We want as many new projects as we can get! What we don't want, as Ava said, is for someone to bite off more than they can chew, get in over their heads, decide the whole thing isn't worth it, and throw in the towel. We've found from experience that this happens quite often to new volunteers who don't realize the amount of work they are letting themselves in for. You also will have more of a learning curve than people who've done a few sections in a group project, because as a soloist, you'll need to manage your sections yourself, instead of having your BC (book coordinator) take care of it. For that reason, we like to caution new people up front and let them know that their proposed project may take significantly more time and attention than they had anticipated.

Now that you've received that warning, if you are still prepared to jump in and see this through to completion, then we're happy to get you set up. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to DPL.
democraticnonsense

I appreciate the cautiousness surrounding newcomers. At this point in time, it is something I am willing to dedicate time to. The aspect that will be perhaps the most frustrating is ensuring as little background noise as possible but I imagine it doesn't have to be perfect.
...Not even the rain...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No, it doesn't. Most of us have some kind of noise in our recording space. I use noise reduction in every recording I make. I'm not familiar with the software you're using to record and edit, but if there is some type of noise removal effect in it, that would help, I'm sure.
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this. I'll be back soon with some information for you.
linny

Post by linny »

Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/14273
The reader section details link is a great way to keep track of your claims. If you would like a changes made to your catalog name or have a website you would like to link to please let me know.
linny

Post by linny »

You didn't indicate how many sections you wanted for the project. I gave you 13 to start with. We can adjust as you go. Please keep in mind that no single section can run over 74 minutes.

As a soloist you are also the Book Coordinator (BC). That means you are responsible for maintaining the MW. (titles, links to your files, file length, and changing the workflow from Assigned to Ready for PL or from See PL Notes to Ready for spot check.

Here are instructions for getting into the MW. Please note the password is different from your general LV password.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

Also in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Please let me know you have gained access to the MW and update at least one of the section titles so I know you are all set.
democraticnonsense

Thank you for the update. 13 sections is good. I was able to login to the management dashboard.
...Not even the rain...
linny

Post by linny »

Great! We are off to going solo. Enjoy! :D
democraticnonsense

...Not even the rain...
linny

Post by linny »

Please change the file name to match the initial post. You also need to put it in the MW. The duration goes under notes. The section needs a title. Please toggle the last column (workflow) to Ready for PL.