[COMPLETE] The Law by Frédéric Bastiat-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

The Law by Frédéric Bastiat (1801 - 1850).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-law-by-frederic-bastiat/
"The law perverted! The law—and, in its wake, all the collective forces of the nation. The law, I say, not only diverted from its proper direction, but made to pursue one entirely contrary! The law becomes the tool of every kind of avarice, instead of being its check! The law guilty of that very inequity which it was its mission to punish! Truly, this is a serious fact, if it exists, and one to which I feel bound to call the attention of my fellow-citizens." —Frédéric Bastiat
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44800

Text with Section Word counts (please read from this text! Each section has a color.): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RjzFS1VUQUArZkNAXUOWg9kUJ9NlctC0
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Law; *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Law. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Law, by Frédéric Bastiat. [Section]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Law, by Frédéric Bastiat. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      law_##_bastiat_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. law_01_bastiat_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Frédéric Bastiat
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Law

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by LikeManyWaters on May 25th, 2020, 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
April
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

May I DPL?
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Sure, you may.
Thanks.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll MC for you. MW coming up!
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Awesome, Thanks. :) I need one more row (0-9), but I think I can add that myself, right?
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, you can. Sorry, I thought you wanted 9 sections total. Also, we try to limit the number of genres. Preferably no more than two. Is there one of the three you wouldn't mind taking off? You could always add it to the keywords. There's no limit on those.
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Sure, that's fine. Take off the last (religion). I'll add it to the keywords. It's mostly the first two genres.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Got it. You're all set. Ready for Readers Wanted?
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

All ready.
April
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here we go!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great project, which I've been toying for a few years to do myself. May I have Section 1 for starters?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Please, I would like to be assigned sections 2 & 3.
Possible?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Yes to both of you. Great.

Michele, I did see you read a short story by him, although I haven't listened yet.
April
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 is uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/law_01_bastiat_128kb.mp3 15:39
I wish I could read French, for I think some of the charm is missing in the English translations.
Last edited by msfry on May 14th, 2020, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Thank you! Yes, I know what you mean.
April