COMPLETE [CHILDREN] Jacko and Jumpo Kinkytail by Howard R. Garis - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Ok, thanks! I’ll see what it’s sounding like now. :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Shasta wrote: April 29th, 2020, 12:09 pm Hear is Chapter 06 yet again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_06-garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 11:41

I was unable to hear any "ding" at .13 or any "page turning" at 3:26 or any background noise. Nevertheless, I have re-recorded at .13 and at 3:26 and hopefully that will solve the problems you heard. I have also done another noise reduction run and the lines between words seem to me to totally devoid of sound. I hear none. MP3 express didn't need to correct gain as recorded and Checker passed it, as in the past. If you feel that further work is needed just let me know and I will do what I can to address it.
Great work! The noises I was hearing are gone now - PL OK.

At one spot in the filename there is a dash rather than the underscore, so I have made a note in the Magic Window. Kristine can fix that easily enough, so you needn't worry about it.

Thank you!
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapter 7 is PL OK :thumbs:

Chapter 8 needs another round of noise cleaning, then it should be good to go as well.
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapter 10 is also PL OK :clap:
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Thank you! Chapters 11 & 12 are both PL OK :thumbs:
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Before I upload a file I run it by Checker. I only recently discovered that there are "Gentle" and "Strict" modes of validation. I believe I have always been and now am in the Gentle mode. I would like to change to the Strict mode but have not been able to find the way to do it. According to Checker I would find the procedure in the "Validation menu." When Checker opens up there is no "menu" displayed. The only things shown are in the bottom half of the window and, under Welcome to Checker, "To get started, drag and drop some .mp3 files over this window. See the Quick Start Guide or Help Contents for more information." I go to those and am told to go to the "Validation menu" to choose either Gentle or Strict. So I then click on the Validation button but no "menu" appears. In short, I need to know how to bring up the "Validation menu" where I can make that choice. Can you help with this question?
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I think by ‘menu’ it means the list of options you’ll see when you click on the validation button. When you click there, you'll see 'Gentle', 'Strict', & 'Choose Validation Methods'. I run mine on gentle as well, because strict is rather... well, strict. However the one change I did make was to select background noise under 'Choose Validation Methods'. I find that handy, but I don’t entirely go just by that. Anywhere up to 40 dB can still sound OK to the ears depending on what kind of noise it’s reading.

I hope this helps! If anything doesn't make sense, feel free to ask!
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_15_garis_128kb.mp3 Time:11:33

I think I'll leave Validation at "Gentle." No use inviting difficulties.
Russ Bruno
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Shasta wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 2:59 pm Here is a less noisy Chapter 08.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_08_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 12:13
I'm not sure what to say about this file... It does sound quite a bit better, but I do still hear the buzz. Checker still gives a warning about it, and the silence lines still look a little thick in Audacity. I'd really like to just pass it, but I'm wondering if we shouldn't get that buzz down a little more first.? Let me know what you think.
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapter 13 is PL OK :thumbs:

Chapter 14 PL notes:
~Some bumping noises in the intro
~2:49-2:53 sounds like a door opening and shutting

I don't know how much can be done for those, but thought I'd mention them so you can see about it.

You're doing great with this project! Thanks for all the work you're putting in!
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapter 15 is PL OK :clap:

Somehow his stories have quite a bit of a pattern, don't they! :lol:
~Rosebud
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here are Chapters 08 and 14 again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_08_garis_128kb.mp3 Time:12:12
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_14_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 12:19

As previously, I failed to hear any background buzz in 08 and, unlike yours which you indicate is also set on "gentle" rather than "strict", my Checker passed it. But I gave it another shot of Noise Reduction for what it is worth. I can do no more with it. If you wish, I will re-record the entire Chapter.

As to Chapter 14, unlike you, I failed to hear the door opening/closing sounds. But I re-recorded the sections you mentioned, so that should take care of that.
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Here is Chapter 16

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/jackoandjumpo_16_garis_128kb.mp3 Time: 9:07

I think that the reason you have heard some "hum" or "buzz" in some of my files may be because sometimes my files require quite a bit of gain, upward, after I have edited them and that would probably also increase the volume of any little bit of background noise that may remain even after I have run them by Noise Reduction during editing. So I have played around with my Audacity input volume setting and the gain setting on my microphone so as to minimize or even eliminate the necessity of adding "gain." In the case of Chapter 16 I found that, according to MP3 Gain Express, I pretty much succeeded and the amount of gain needed and added by MP3 Gain Express was very minimal. Hopefully you won't find any background buzzing or humming in this or future chapters. I you do, I will fiddle with the settings some more.
Russ Bruno