(Complete) Legends of Charlemagne by Thomas Bulfinch - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

v323838 wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:38 pm Hello, i would be happy to proof listen to the Introduction if that hasnt been done yet.
Thank you for the offer, but we are all caught up in this project.
Layla

Post by Layla »

I'd be happy to take section 3 (The Tournament), if it's still free?
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hi, I'd like to join in with this, but I've not done anything on LV for four years now, and will need to re-learn everything and maybe do the 1 min test again, as I'll be working with a new computer - one of the (several) reasons I stopped before was the fan on my old laptop whined so horribly it needed loads of work with notch filters etc to clean up the recordings. However, if I commit myself here it will give me an incentive to get working on it! I've downloaded and been reading the text and would like to take chapters 10 and 11, The Orc and Astolpho's adventures, please.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Layla wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:41 pm I'd be happy to take section 3 (The Tournament), if it's still free?
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LucyK wrote: April 20th, 2020, 5:17 am Hi, I'd like to join in with this, but I've not done anything on LV for four years now, and will need to re-learn everything and maybe do the 1 min test again, as I'll be working with a new computer - one of the (several) reasons I stopped before was the fan on my old laptop whined so horribly it needed loads of work with notch filters etc to clean up the recordings. However, if I commit myself here it will give me an incentive to get working on it! I've downloaded and been reading the text and would like to take chapters 10 and 11, The Orc and Astolpho's adventures, please.
Welcome back!
Not much has changed in the last 4 years, so you should find it fairly easy to get back into the swing :thumbs:
You could go ahead and record chapter 10 and I can check the specs... or you can submit a portion of it to Listeners Wanted and explain what you are doing, since you are a returner rather than a newbie 8-)
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Thanks! I'll spend a bit of time reacquainting myself with Audacity etc, and get back to you very soon. :)
Layla

Post by Layla »

Lynnet wrote: April 20th, 2020, 7:17 am
Layla wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:41 pm I'd be happy to take section 3 (The Tournament), if it's still free?
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne

Thank you kindly Lynne,
I have created the following test file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_layla_marinos.mp3 and posted in Listeners Wanted Forum as requested.
Could you please use my full name: Layla Marinos for the Catalog?
Thanks again :)
All the best,
Layla Marinos
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Layla wrote: April 20th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Lynnet wrote: April 20th, 2020, 7:17 am
Lynne

Thank you kindly Lynne,
I have created the following test file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_layla_marinos.mp3 and posted in Listeners Wanted Forum as requested.
Could you please use my full name: Layla Marinos for the Catalog?
Thanks again :)
All the best,
Layla Marinos
Please wait for the ok on your test before recording (it may save you time). I have edited your catalog entry. You can see it by clicking on your name in the MW. Any sections you claim will show there.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hello again,

I am underway and about to record chapter 10 as you recommended - it's all coming back to me slowly and the checker is a help!

Just a thought, any preferences as to the pronunciation of the proper nouns? For example are the 'i's long eg 'Angel-eeka', 'Reen-aldo', or short, and where do we put the stresses? Do we attempt authentic Italian/Spanish/French pronunciation (wikipedia will often give phonetic transcription...) or just anglicise them as we see fit (so it may be that British and American pronunciations will vary anyway), are you worried about consistency at all? Maybe as long as we use the consistent pronunciation within our own readings that's enough... :hmm:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LucyK wrote: April 27th, 2020, 3:04 am Hello again,

I am underway and about to record chapter 10 as you recommended - it's all coming back to me slowly and the checker is a help!

Just a thought, any preferences as to the pronunciation of the proper nouns? For example are the 'i's long eg 'Angel-eeka', 'Reen-aldo', or short, and where do we put the stresses? Do we attempt authentic Italian/Spanish/French pronunciation (wikipedia will often give phonetic transcription...) or just anglicise them as we see fit (so it may be that British and American pronunciations will vary anyway), are you worried about consistency at all? Maybe as long as we use the consistent pronunciation within our own readings that's enough... :hmm:
On the whole, I’m not bothered about consistency between readers. As for the foreign words, don’t sweat it. If you know the correct pronunciation, great. Otherwise do your best 8-)
That said, I think Angelica and Rinaldo have short ‘i’s... so Angel-I-ca and RIn-al-do.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hi,

Chapter 10 uploaded,

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlemagne_10_bulfinch_128kb.mp3

Hope it's OK, I put it through the checker :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LucyK wrote: May 4th, 2020, 1:27 am Hi,

Chapter 10 uploaded,

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlemagne_10_bulfinch_128kb.mp3

Hope it's OK, I put it through the checker :)
Thank you
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ch 10 PL OK.
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Hooray! That was speedy 8-)

Chap 11 is underway, can I claim 13, 15 and 19 too?
LucyK

Post by LucyK »

Oops, forgot to give you timing for Chap 10, it was 17mins 20, as I expect you've worked out! sorry :oops: Will remember next time.