[OPEN] Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection 01 - tg

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
PatrickLondon
Posts: 284
Joined: July 10th, 2011, 2:20 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Post by PatrickLondon » May 3rd, 2020, 10:41 pm

I'll have a go at "Two London Hoaxes" from "Famous Impostors" by Bram Stoker:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51391/51391-h/51391-h.htm#A_TWO_LONDON_HOAXES


(Plenty of other stories there, if anyone's interested).

I was thinking of something on the Tichborne Claimant but I haven't yet found anything of the right length.

Or there's the Affair of the Diamond Necklace:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/20055/20055-h/20055-h.htm#h2-25
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com

alanmapstone
Posts: 1966
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » May 4th, 2020, 12:47 am

Hi Adam
This looks an interesting project, if perhaps a bit over ambitious. I have long been fascinated by the poems of Ossian and would like to contribute something, although they probably need a project all of their own. The best known part, the epic poem of Fingal is probably too long for use here. What we could do is to record the dramatic poem Comala as a DR. I could read the Argument, the names of the readers and the Bards at the end. I could also offer to edit the final version. It would need you to create extra sections for the individual characters and to find six other readers which might be rather hopeful. Alternately I could read one of the shorter poems.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

maxgal
Posts: 691
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » May 4th, 2020, 8:26 am

maxgal wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Hi Adam, just checking...
Is this project still a go?
I have Poe's "The Balloon-Hoax" in my to-do list.
But I don't want to proceed with it unless I know it's going up, up, and away.... 8-)
Thanks very much...LJB
Hi again Adam,
I am reorganizing some of my projects, and this is one I am relinquishing.
Feel free to bestow Mr. Poe' "Balloon-Hoax" on someone else.
Thank you...LJB 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal
Posts: 691
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » May 6th, 2020, 5:33 pm

maxgal wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 8:26 am
maxgal wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Hi Adam, just checking...
Is this project still a go?
I have Poe's "The Balloon-Hoax" in my to-do list.
But I don't want to proceed with it unless I know it's going up, up, and away.... 8-)
Thanks very much...LJB
Hi again Adam,
I am reorganizing some of my projects, and this is one I am relinquishing.
Feel free to bestow Mr. Poe' "Balloon-Hoax" on someone else.
Thank you...LJB 8-)
Hello... Adam? Tricia?
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 47440
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » May 6th, 2020, 5:40 pm

I'll remove it for you. I see Adam last logged in on the 4th; perhaps he hasn't seen this yet.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

maxgal
Posts: 691
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » May 6th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Thanks very much, Tricia. :D
Louise
"every little breeze..."

ColleenMc
Posts: 1484
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » May 16th, 2020, 9:34 am

I have a suggestion for a piece I'd like to read -- a chapter from the scandalous memoir "Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal" by Maria Monk (she is believed not to have written it or not to have written it herself, but she's listed as the author in Project Gutenberg and nothing else is definitive.)

It was a made up memoir of horrifying goings-on at a Catholic convent, aimed at feeding/heightening the anti-Catholic hysteria that was rampant in the US at the time it was published (1836). It's over the top ridiculous -- I went to an all girls Catholic high school and it was mentioned in one of our religion classes and somehow someone got their hands on a copy and we would give dramatic readings from it and laugh ourselves silly. I would like to read Chapter XI, in which the wicked nuns and priest execute a kindly nun for being too good -- by piling mattresses on her and jumping up and down on them! (Like I said, ridiculous).

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8095

Also while I was looking for this I found another "forgery" in Project Gutenberg that I wanted to suggest -- the "autobiography" of Davy Crockett. (Not volunteering to read this, just thought you might like to add it to the list)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37925

Both of these are covered as forgeries in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fake_memoirs_and_journals

Colleen

dmusgrove
Posts: 12
Joined: March 28th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Location: Nowhereland

Post by dmusgrove » May 17th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Moon hoax! Moon hoax, please! May I please read the moon hoax?!?

*jumping up and down at my desk, arm waving frantically*

(meaning, Section 2)

soupy
Posts: 4041
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Making another suggestion

The Piltdown skull (Eoanthropus dawsoni)

https://archive.org/details/b22441165/mode/1up

Craig
The task of life should last as long as life lasts, that is the task of living.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age. 3 sections left

Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Apologies, I somehow missed getting the notifications on this thread, am returned and will process them.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 9:48 pm

dmusgrove wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Moon hoax! Moon hoax, please! May I please read the moon hoax?!?

*jumping up and down at my desk, arm waving frantically*

(meaning, Section 2)
Added for Moon-Hoax. Sorry about my earlier neglect of this page, but notifications are being received, and I'm back for the BC/DPL roles.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 9:49 pm

soupy wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Making another suggestion

The Piltdown skull (Eoanthropus dawsoni)

https://archive.org/details/b22441165/mode/1up

Craig
Is that something you'd like to read, or just put down for the suggestion?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 9:53 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:34 am
I have a suggestion for a piece I'd like to read -- a chapter from the scandalous memoir "Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal" by Maria Monk (she is believed not to have written it or not to have written it herself, but she's listed as the author in Project Gutenberg and nothing else is definitive.)

It was a made up memoir of horrifying goings-on at a Catholic convent, aimed at feeding/heightening the anti-Catholic hysteria that was rampant in the US at the time it was published (1836). It's over the top ridiculous -- I went to an all girls Catholic high school and it was mentioned in one of our religion classes and somehow someone got their hands on a copy and we would give dramatic readings from it and laugh ourselves silly. I would like to read Chapter XI, in which the wicked nuns and priest execute a kindly nun for being too good -- by piling mattresses on her and jumping up and down on them! (Like I said, ridiculous).

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8095

Also while I was looking for this I found another "forgery" in Project Gutenberg that I wanted to suggest -- the "autobiography" of Davy Crockett. (Not volunteering to read this, just thought you might like to add it to the list)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37925

Both of these are covered as forgeries in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fake_memoirs_and_journals

Colleen
Apologies, for my late reply (adjusting to new job, fell behind in my LibriVox, but am back now). I've assigned you the spot if you're still interested, otherwise let me know.
.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 12:47 am
Hi Adam
This looks an interesting project, if perhaps a bit over ambitious. I have long been fascinated by the poems of Ossian and would like to contribute something, although they probably need a project all of their own. The best known part, the epic poem of Fingal is probably too long for use here. What we could do is to record the dramatic poem Comala as a DR. I could read the Argument, the names of the readers and the Bards at the end. I could also offer to edit the final version. It would need you to create extra sections for the individual characters and to find six other readers which might be rather hopeful. Alternately I could read one of the shorter poems.
You're welcome to start that project elsewhere, but in this case I was hoping for more of an anthology, and Fingal is probably a bit too long (it probably deserves its own section). If you ever do start one, let me know.

Would you still be interested in doing one of Ossian's smaller poems?
Last edited by AdamBielka on May 25th, 2020, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka
Posts: 331
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 1:05 am
Location: Cascadia

Post by AdamBielka » May 25th, 2020, 10:06 pm

PatrickLondon wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 10:41 pm
I'll have a go at "Two London Hoaxes" from "Famous Impostors" by Bram Stoker:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51391/51391-h/51391-h.htm#A_TWO_LONDON_HOAXES


(Plenty of other stories there, if anyone's interested).

I was thinking of something on the Tichborne Claimant but I haven't yet found anything of the right length.

Or there's the Affair of the Diamond Necklace:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/20055/20055-h/20055-h.htm#h2-25
Just to clarify, is the Stoker piece a fraudulent document itself, or an objective descriptive report of someone else's fraud?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

Post Reply