How could I most effectively contribute my sound engineering skills?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

But could you make me sound like Benedict Cummberbund (or whatever his name is)?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I would like to add my thoughts in here, as I have just a small concern:

As it has always been a very dear and a high priority of mine, and something that makes me really appreciate the ways of librivox, is that readers are in control of their sections. They can record from home and upload on their own schedule. Mainly being a volunteer and doing something for the fun of it, ( we do warn people LV is a LOT of fun after all.) I know, readers cannot control what happens once the recordings are released, but can at least keep them under their "grasp," in the forum and LV catalog. But I'm just concerned that recordings would be "dug into", even though they are marked, "PL OK." I know you talk about improving recordings, and I'm all for it, but please don't get me wrong here, but if someone weren't wanting improvement and wanted to show their recordings as is, (because we are only volunteers), is there a guarantee for that? I wouldn't want someone's reading to be cleaned and them to not like the aftermath of it. NOT saying the final product will ever be bad, and I'm sure you will do a wonderful job with everything, but just an in-case.

Thank you
Elijah
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Certainly not Elijah - it would only be if a reader asked for it - but the details how this could happen need still to be worked out, It would certainly never be compulsory. You will still be in charge of your finished product, and if you look at the logistics - there is no way he could do everyone's anyhow, it is just too much

Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

The ideal candidates could be those people who struggle a bit and find the technical recording side difficult, and they could if they wished, have the recordings cleaned up. I've noticed quite a few recordings where the voice is distorted by a whine or hum at a certain frequency, and this can often be got rid of with sophisticated and expensive software way above the level that Audacity offers. Of course expertise in using this software is also required. I record in a pristine near studio like situation, and use very good equipment, but a lot of readers struggle with USB mics and noisy and interfering electronics in their computers, as well as outside noises such as aircraft (at least before the lockdown), and busy roads and other sounds.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

maybe use customers not candidates.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

lurcherlover wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:27 am I've noticed quite a few recordings where the voice is distorted by a whine or hum at a certain frequency, and this can often be got rid of with sophisticated and expensive software way above the level that Audacity offers.
I have had some of those mentioned noises in my recordings before, but with the help of audacity and a wonderful team been able to fix it. Some people may have trouble doing it though, so some help and cleaning would be great for those who would like it.
lurcherlover wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:27 am I record in a pristine near studio like situation, and use very good equipment, but a lot of readers struggle with USB mics and noisy and interfering electronics in their computers, as well as outside noises such as aircraft (at least before the lockdown), and busy roads and other sounds.
Most of the things you mention would be a PL note. There will be some distortions depending on how old the recording is because DPL's didn't exist back in the day. I always PL and try to catch background sounds because I know those are some things LV gets backlash from and sounds like they need to correct a bit more. So honestly, in today's LV, I think our DPL's should be trying to catch those common pop up sounds.