[COMPLETE] Atala, by François-René de Chateaubriand - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Atala by François-René de Chateaubriand (1768 - 1848).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/atala-by-francois-rene-de-chateaubriand/
What were the lower Mississippi River, Gulf Coast regions, and Appalachians of North America like in the earliest colonial days? Full of untamed forests, wild animals, nuts, berries, and Indians. Chateaubriand spent many years exploring the area, and this early (somewhat autobiographical) novella was inspired by his years spent with various Indian tribes, (described in his Introduction--included after the story), primarily the Natchez. Amongst these natives, as the story goes, was a blind old patriarch named Chactas, revered for his wisdom and knowledge of the affairs of life, including many years spent learning the ways of Europeans. In 1725, a Frenchman named René (Chateaubriand himself?), driven thither by his misfortunes in Europe, arrived at Louisiana. Old Chactas adopted him as a son, and slowly reveals his hardships and adventures. One such story was about Atala, a beautiful indian maiden, who had been converted by French missionaries to Christianity . . . . of their passionate attraction . . . and all the conflict and heartache that arose thereby. ~ summary by Michele Fry
[*]Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/44427
[*]Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction, Early American History

Keywords that describe the book: Louisiana, Natchez, Indians, romance, Chactas, wilderness

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (INTRO):
  • "Section [number] of Atala, , by François-René de Chateaubriand. First Section Only This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Atala [Section #, Section Title]"

For subsequent sections, use the shortened disclaimer:
  • "This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

END of recording [OUTRO]:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Atala, by François-René de Chateaubriand. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename atala_##_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. atala_01_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
BC/DPL: Michele Fry msfry
Soloist: Bill Jones williamjones
MC: TriciaG
Cover: Michele Fry*
Last edited by msfry on May 9th, 2020, 7:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I've got the text breakdown into sections and I'm ready to start recording.
Big thanks to Michele for setting this up. :clap:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. You should be all set.

I'll put in the cover pre-claim now.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Many thanks for the quick work Tricia!
I gotta get crackin' now.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:29 am This is set up. You should be all set.

I'll put in the cover pre-claim now.
Thanks, Tricia. This project shouldn't take long. I'll fill in the MW once Bill decides whether to put the Intro and Prologue before or after the story.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Magic Window is set up, and Summary shortened and revised for your review.
Bill, take a look and see if it's what you want. You could divide that long Drama section up into two bits to more nearly match the other file lengths, or just leave it like it is. Your choice.

Tricia: Does Bill get access to the MW, being neither BC nor DPL? I still don't know all the rules. :roll:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Since you designated yourself as BC and DPL, I put you in for those roles. :) That would indicate Bill is simply a reader, so no MW access. I could put Bill in as alt-BC (or as BC, either one), so that he has MW access. Let me know.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Going Solo...
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Breaking the ice: uploaded Section 1, prologue
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/atala_01_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 11:45

Am wrestling with whether to record the modern names of places and things or pronounce the old/French words in the text. A good example:
In talking about the (modern) Wabash River, the text spells this "Wabache". Context convinces me that WABASH is the name intended by the author and which our LV listeners will recognize.

Tomorrow I'll upload sections 2-4, The Hunters parts 2-4
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: April 29th, 2020, 8:39 pm Breaking the ice: uploaded Section 1, prologue
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/atala_01_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 11:45

Am wrestling with whether to record the modern names of places and things or pronounce the old/French words in the text. A good example:
In talking about the (modern) Wabash River, the text spells this "Wabache". Context convinces me that WABASH is the name intended by the author and which our LV listeners will recognize.

Tomorrow I'll upload sections 2-4, The Hunters parts 2-4
I look forward to it! And I think it is often impossible for us to know how names were pronounced in days gone by, so I'd go with pronunciation our modern readers will recognize.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 2 - The Hunters Chapter 3 part1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/atala_02_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 22.22
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 4, The Hunters Part 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/atala_04_chateaubriand_128kb.mp3 22:48

A monk has saved them from the frying pan, so now we have to expect them to fall into the fire - that Chaktas really *does* have bad luck.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

As soloist, you can enter your files names and times into the MW. I will get to them soon and look forward to listening.

The First Post varies on Section# vs Chapter # on the Intro. It's your choice, so please specify which one you want and I will follow that.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: May 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm As soloist, you can enter your files names and times into the MW. I will get to them soon and look forward to listening.
I don't have access to the MW. I can enter/change nothing.

The First Post varies on Section# vs Chapter # on the Intro. It's your choice, so please specify which one you want and I will follow that.
My choice: Section #
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison