Zoom calls hijacking your microphone?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't know about you guys, but I've been doing lots of Zoom calls lately to stay connected with the people I care about.

I've also still been recording whenever possible, and lately have been having issues with my microphone input being set pretty low when I start recording, and then I have to go into Windows' settings and fix it, again.

I never connected these two things until today. I recorded a bit, but had a scheduled Zoom call at 2 and wasn't able to finish the section in time. After my call ended, I went back to recording (didn't even close Audacity in the meantime), and suddenly my mic input in Windows was very low! Has anybody else noticed this kind of thing happening, or is it just me?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mightyfelix wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 1:05 pm I don't know about you guys, but I've been doing lots of Zoom calls lately to stay connected with the people I care about.

I've also still been recording whenever possible, and lately have been having issues with my microphone input being set pretty low when I start recording, and then I have to go into Windows' settings and fix it, again.

I never connected these two things until today. I recorded a bit, but had a scheduled Zoom call at 2 and wasn't able to finish the section in time. After my call ended, I went back to recording (didn't even close Audacity in the meantime), and suddenly my mic input in Windows was very low! Has anybody else noticed this kind of thing happening, or is it just me?
I just did that before recording today but didn't have that happen. That's bizarre. When you downloaded zoom do you remember if it asked you permission to adjust microphone or something? Maybe look through its permissions? There might be something in there saying it can adjust your microphone. If there is, I don't know if disallowing that will cause it to stop picking up your microphone inputs entirely.... I haven't checked myself, just throwing this out as a suggestion.

Perhaps just a restart of the computer would do it?

I'm curious to know what it is, as well. Best of luck Devorah! :D
Elijah
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think it's likely that the online chats reset the microphone - I remember it coming up in the forum a long time ago with Skype . They do ask you when you set up if you give permission to fiddle with them.

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes, Skype used to do this. I use a different computer now to record from the one I use for Skype, so I don't know whether it's still an issue.
Jo
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Devorah,
By default, Zoom has the Automatic Gain Control toggled 'On'. I suspect you are running your recording rig, for the mic-input and headphones-output, in Zoom. I do the same. I went into the Zoom "Audio" properties and toggled the AGC to 'Off' , and manually set my mic level.

I have not tested it 'toggled on', to see if Zoom adjusts Windows sound properties and lowers the input gain. I have a few Zoom meetings tomorrow and will test that.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll play with it tomorrow as well and see if I can find that setting. I don't think I can do anything with it if I'm not actually in a meeting. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

(Either way, it doesn't make too much of a difference, since it's so easy to fix. It's annoying, though. :roll: )
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

You can log in to your Zoom, without launching a call, and make the adjustments. It will keep the config.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
ShaunBlake

Post by ShaunBlake »

Does anybody have new information or new insight to this? I'm not engaged now but need to begin joining meetings with Zoom. Sure would like to know before getting started if there are recommendations by recording artists.
As a person wishing to gain knowledge with hard work, augmented by leeching–but humbly leeching–CC is always welcome, by quotes in the forum or PMs.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

ShaunBlake wrote: April 27th, 2020, 3:57 pm Does anybody have new information or new insight to this? I'm not engaged now but need to begin joining meetings with Zoom. Sure would like to know before getting started if there are recommendations by recording artists.
I'm not sure what kind of recommendations you are looking for regarding zoom. If you read some of the posts above, it gives you insight into how to change the settings after recording. Nothing to be worried about with zoom, and what mightfelix was experiencing was something unusual and I think the problem was found. But if you are having trouble with something else, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Elijah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I use my built-in laptop mic on Zoom calls, and my external USB mic on recordings. Never the twain shall meet. :lol: I don't need recording-quality sound on Zoom calls.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart