Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

Hi..

Can I take chapter 4?

Warm regards,
Dwarika
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

fshort wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:22 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_00_conquest_128kb.mp3
Duration: 22:42

I pronounced Zarah as if it rhymed with the girl's name Sarah.
Florence, absolutely no problems with your reading but a couple of issues with the file. First, the DC bias is at +27 and really should be close to 0. Second, the background noise is a bit high at 44 dB. 10-15 seconds starting at 16:44 was particularly noisy so you might need to further noise clean that.
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Dwarika wrote: April 27th, 2020, 12:43 am Hi..

Can I take chapter 4?

Warm regards,
Dwarika
You may!
fshort

Post by fshort »

Concerning the Prologue, I have to calm my brain for a solution. My recording sounds and looks near excellent both when I listen through the headphones or just the Mac Pro speakers.
(I've been spending a lot of time studying youtube presentations of Audacity in order to improve.) After reading the PL notes, I opened my file, all sounded okay. Then I Googled DC bias to see what that meant. Then, I hit Effects on my file of Zarah..., went to Normalize. I didn't change a setting but now my recording sounded AWFUL. Incredibly awful. The box for DC offset was checked. The Maximum Amplitude was -1.0. I quickly closed the file without saving. WHAT HAVE I DONE? And how in the world do I repair it? I have a Blue Yeti microphone. I used Noise Reduction a number of times as I as edited the file before sending it in. I didn't use the Compressor on this recording. I think I should experiment on an old file perhaps.. Do you have suggestions of how to experiment so I know how to fix this? I need specific instructions from you or PhilChenevert? I will not go back to youtube!
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

fshort wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm Concerning the Prologue, I have to calm my brain for a solution. My recording sounds and looks near excellent both when I listen through the headphones or just the Mac Pro speakers.
(I've been spending a lot of time studying youtube presentations of Audacity in order to improve.) After reading the PL notes, I opened my file, all sounded okay. Then I Googled DC bias to see what that meant. Then, I hit Effects on my file of Zarah..., went to Normalize. I didn't change a setting but now my recording sounded AWFUL. Incredibly awful. The box for DC offset was checked. The Maximum Amplitude was -1.0. I quickly closed the file without saving. WHAT HAVE I DONE? And how in the world do I repair it? I have a Blue Yeti microphone. I used Noise Reduction a number of times as I as edited the file before sending it in. I didn't use the Compressor on this recording. I think I should experiment on an old file perhaps.. Do you have suggestions of how to experiment so I know how to fix this? I need specific instructions from you or PhilChenevert? I will not go back to youtube!
You can post in Help Wanted. Meanwhile, I will contact Phil (yes, he taught me everything I know, too :lol: )
fshort

Post by fshort »

Florence on the Prologue again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_00_conquest_128kb.mp3

I think this might be okay. I clicked on a number of other of my librivox recordings, went back to this and clicked Normalize and manage and save. Did it reset? I didn't find noise noise at 16:44 but it was certainly horrible before. I hope I'm not wasteing your time but I don't know how to test it without actually submitting it to you.
Florence Short
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

fshort wrote: April 27th, 2020, 7:19 pm Florence on the Prologue again.

I think this might be okay. I clicked on a number of other of my librivox recordings, went back to this and clicked Normalize and manage and save. Did it reset? I didn't find noise noise at 16:44 but it was certainly horrible before. I hope I'm not wasteing your time but I don't know how to test it without actually submitting it to you.
Official word is don’t worry about the DC Offset. Yes, it can be tweaked, but if it sounds worse, leave it 8-)
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

fshort wrote: April 27th, 2020, 7:19 pm Florence on the Prologue again.

DC bias is now 0 and it sounds fine to me so whatever you did must have worked :D
Would you be able to give it another noise clean as well? That small section might need to be re-recorded given how different it sounds to the rest of the file.
I’d recommend running all recordings through Checker before uploading and looking at the technical details. That's the easiest way to figure out if anything needs to be changed.
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Bethblakely wrote: April 26th, 2020, 6:15 pm Chapter 2, Duration 14:20.5

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_02_conquest_128kb.mp3
Chapter 2 is PL OK :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Prologue marked PL OK by MC.
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

This one is rolling along nicely and I'd hate to miss out on the fun. May I have V, please?
fshort

Post by fshort »

Duration: 22:39

Here is Prologue once again. I swiped from 17:44 - 18:50 with Noise Reduction. I got the same value, 89.7, from Checker. I cut off some seconds so to make sure it really was a different file I was sending.. If it doesn't sound okay, tell me. The Prologue should begin by starting well, I think. I'd do it again and probably not use the external microphone.
Florence Short
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jfgallagher wrote: April 28th, 2020, 12:54 pm This one is rolling along nicely and I'd hate to miss out on the fun. May I have V, please?
Absolutely
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

Lynnet wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:50 am

Can I take chapter 4?

Warm regards,
Dwarika
You may!
thanks!
Dwarika

Post by Dwarika »

Lynnet wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:50 am

Can I take chapter 4?

Warm regards,
Dwarika
You may!
Hi!!

The chapter 4 recording uploaded- time length 28.29.45

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/zarahthecruel_04_conquest_128kb.mp3

Dwarika