The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

iManar wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm Hello,

I'm new here and I'm trying to start a recording, but I'm getting an error opening recording device -9999. I've allowed the mic to access from laptop settings, still didn't work. Any help?
Did you make sure to connect mic before opening Audacity? It won't recognise mic if program is opened first:-) Anne F
iManar

Post by iManar »

TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm That's correct - it'll not give you any visual confirmation. But then go to your microphones (shift-I) and make sure your mic is selected.
I'm on my laptop and I'm using the built-in microphone, should I get an external microphone?
Because the problem is still persistent.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

iManar wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:41 am
TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm That's correct - it'll not give you any visual confirmation. But then go to your microphones (shift-I) and make sure your mic is selected.
I'm on my laptop and I'm using the built-in microphone, should I get an external microphone?
Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using? If it is Catalina then Audacity won't work on it.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm
Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using? If it is Catalina then Audacity won't work on it.
There is a work around for Catalina, isn't there? (Not that I would understand how to do it!)
lymiewithpurpose

KevinS wrote: April 25th, 2020, 1:35 pm

There is a work around for Catalina, isn't there? (Not that I would understand how to do it!)
I think there is one, but I've heard some haven't had success with it.
Campbell
iManar

Post by iManar »

Windows 10
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

iManar wrote: April 25th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Windows 10
This might help. (Ignore all the advertisements.)

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/audacity-error-opening-sound-device.html
iManar

Post by iManar »

KevinS wrote: April 25th, 2020, 2:11 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using? If it is Catalina then Audacity won't work on it.
Windows 10

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/audacity-error-opening-sound-device.html
Thank you Kevin, I tried all the solutions, still not working. Is there any other program than Audacity?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

iManar wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Windows 10

Thank you Kevin, I tried all the solutions, still not working. Is there any other program than Audacity?
Well, there is VoiceRecorder. It's on my machine but I don't know from where it comes. Maybe it comes with Windows 10? If it works---if you have it---that might test your mic. That would tell us something. And it might be possible to import the audio from this program into Audacity. That would likely be quite simple. Not ideal, but the editing is done in Audacity anyway.
Last edited by KevinS on April 25th, 2020, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lymiewithpurpose

In addition, you could google something along the lines of 'Audacity alternatives for Windows 10'. Some of these alternatives might not be widely used among Librivox users so you may not be able to get as much help in case of problems, but it could be functional.
Campbell
iManar

Post by iManar »

KevinS wrote: April 25th, 2020, 4:37 pm
iManar wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Well, there is VoiceRecorder. It's on my machine but I don't know from where it comes. Maybe it comes with Windows 10? If it works---if you have it---that might test your mic. That would tell us something. And it might be possible to import the audio from this program into Audacity. That would likely be quite simple. Not ideal, but the editing is done in Audacity anyway.

Thanks a lot, Kevin, this actually worked! So now I can record on the voice recorder and do the editing on Audacity.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

iManar wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:52 am Thanks a lot, Kevin, this actually worked! So now I can record on the voice recorder and do the editing on Audacity.
Glad to hear it! I'd still like to help you get recording directly to Audacity.
iManar

Post by iManar »

KevinS wrote: April 26th, 2020, 7:06 am
iManar wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:52 am Thanks a lot, Kevin, this actually worked! So now I can record on the voice recorder and do the editing on Audacity.
Glad to hear it! I'd still like to help you get recording directly to Audacity.
I really wish, I tried all mentioned troubleshooting and none of them worked.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

iManar wrote: April 26th, 2020, 2:13 pmI really wish, I tried all mentioned troubleshooting and none of them worked.
I haven't encountered this problem before. Does it mean that when you try to select a microphone from the tool bar (when you have selected the "Device Toolbar" from menu View - Toolbars) nothing shows up in the drop-down menu for microphones? or that none of the options that show there works?
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

This site seems to cover most problems with 9999 error, it does look as if it's a pretty common one:) https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001194.htm Good luck! Anne