COMPLETE: Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 3 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Силуэты русских писателей, Выпуск 3 by Yuly Aykhenvald (1872 - 1928).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/silhouettes-russian-writers-issue-3-by-yuly-aykhenvald/

Бесконечно преданный русской литературе, Юлий Айхенвальд видел писателя как уникальную личность и не признавал литературных школ и течений. Oн погиб в Париже, возвращаясь ночью от Набоковых погруженный в мысли о литературе, и попал под трамвай.
Эти очерки рассматривают только творчество, они не касаются биографических событий. Этот выпуск посвящен русским писателям конца XIX — начала XX вв.

A connoisseur of the Russian literature, Yuly Eichenwald wrote about writers as unique persons, and not as members of schools and movements. This installment is about the writers of the late 19-th - early 20th centuries. These essays focus on the oeuvre, not biographic events. ( Mark Chulsky)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://imwerden.de/publ-3084.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: Russian Literature

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Юлий Айхенвальд, Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 3-й. Эта запись сделана для проекта ЛибриВокс. Все записи ЛибриВокс являются общественным достоянием. Для справок и помощи проекту пожалуйста посетите сетевую страницу librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Силуэты русских писателей, Выпуск 3. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Юлий Айхенвальд, Силуэты русских писателей. Выпуск 3-й. Секция [#] [name]. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Силуэты русских писателей, Выпуск 3. Юлий Айхенвальд (1872 - 1928). , by Yuly Aykhenvald. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename silhouettes3_##_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. silhouettes3_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Юлий Айхенвальд
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Силуэты русских писателей, Выпуск 3.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chulsky on April 28th, 2020, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Mark,

I can MC again. MW will be along shortly.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

you can put me up as DPL for the final part as well, Jo :)

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Done!
Jo
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Jo and Kitty :9:
This might become the most important issue for me, there are my favorite and underrated authors here. Гаршин is one of them, a few years ago I recorded his complete short stories for LV.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_01_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [26:14]
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_02_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:14]
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.3, Короленко:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_03_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [40:44]

Sonia, Jo, the first volume, 6 weeks after the release, has over 20,000 hits :!:, hope this gives you some satisfaction for getting involved in this project. :D
Last edited by chulsky on April 30th, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:39 am Sonia, the first volume, 6 weeks after the release, has over 20,000 hits :!:, hope this gives you some satisfaction for getting involved in this project.
:shock: wow ! cool. What a success. You can be proud of yourself, the whole credit goes to your narration. :thumbs:

I hope I can start PLing on your sections tomorrow. Stay tuned

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

managed to listen to the first two sections. :thumbs: I see immediately that the book is printed later than the first issues because the old spelling is all modernized this time. Even easier for me to follow along, even though I got used to the old script by now :lol:

Section 1 is already PL ok.

A few notes for Section 2 though:

> at 2:18: (p. 15) "бессознательному течению жизни" - you say "времени"

> at 7:00: (p. 16) "Благовест мipa и благовест мира" - probably not an error, but I only wanted to ask a question here: do you say "через и" and "через и же" here ? probably to differentiate between the two 'i' sounds. Is there a real difference actually ? I thought it was only a writing convention.

> at 18:06: (p. 19) " своим неотразимым ядом" - you say "злом"

now I need a break, will keep the 3rd section for tomorrow :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:39 amSec.3, Короленко:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_03_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [40:44]
got another section listened to :9: and it's totally PL ok at the first go :thumbs:

I hope you have a good start in the new week

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.2 is fixed, and Sec.4 is posted:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_04_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [39:35]
Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:06 am
> at 7:00: (p. 16) "Благовест мipa и благовест мира" - probably not an error, but I only wanted to ask a question here: do you say "через и" and "через и же" here ? probably to differentiate between the two 'i' sounds. Is there a real difference actually ? I thought it was only a writing convention.
See, Sonia, they switched to the modern spelling and created a problem. These are two different words, "мip" means "peace", and "мир" means "world", therefore Y.A. had to revert to the obsolete letter "i". I said "через и" and "через иже", gave the letter names, (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98). Only linguists or historians might understand what I meant, but I don't know how to handle it better.

In Sec.4 you would notice missing pieces of text, must be a torn-off piece of the page. I found the corresponding text in a later, non-PD edition, hope it's okay. Again, no rush, of course. I am starting to work again, therefore will slow down recordings anyway.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:12 amSee, Sonia, they switched to the modern spelling and created a problem. These are two different words, "мip" means "peace", and "мир" means "world"
oho now this is an interesting info about linguistics ! I didn't know that "мир" had two different spellings before depending on meaning. Now I understand why "world" and "peace" are the same word in Russian, so it was a different word before. So is there a difference in the pronunciation of the 'i' in "мip" and "мир" ? A shorter 'i' compared to a longer 'и' maybe ? :hmm:
I said "через и" and "через иже"
aha so I understood correctly after all :mrgreen: Well maybe you didn't have to specify and simply read the word twice with the different pronunciation, that should have been enough to differentiate. Since the author didn't specifically make a discourse on linguistics here, you could simply read is as a normal sentence. But your choice.

Section 2 is perfectly corrected and now PL ok. Will try to do 4 soon

Oh, something else: could you please write the starting page number in the notes section in the MW when you do a section ? Then it's easier for me to find the page, instead of thumbing through it all each time :( there is no index in the beginning unfortunately. Would make my life easier.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:12 amIn Sec.4 you would notice missing pieces of text, must be a torn-off piece of the page. I found the corresponding text in a later, non-PD edition, hope it's okay. Again, no rush, of course. I am starting to work again, therefore will slow down recordings anyway.
ah yes I see, well I guess one can suppose the text was not changed exactly in those two spots, so only checking with another, better legible source doesn't hurt.

This section is PL ok :) I already downloaded a book with short stories from Chekov, but I think he is still too difficult for me to read, too many words I need to look up. Maybe in a few years.

Note for myself: next section will continue on page 41 with "Молодой, только что окончивший филолог приезжает домой в родной город."

Thank you

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: May 5th, 2020, 3:17 am... is there a difference in the pronunciation of the 'i' in "мip" and "мир" ? A shorter 'i' compared to a longer 'и' maybe ? :hmm:
No, if the difference ever existed, it is lost now. And Russians do not differentiate between long and short vowels too.
Oh, something else: could you please write the starting page number in the notes section in the MW when you do a section ? .
Great idea, started already, but there is a TOC on p.302 :-)
Sec.6: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_05_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [37:12]

UPDATE: I took liberty to translate a French sentence, as not many readers / listeners would understand it (unlike the readers of the original). Hope it's okay, I did it myself.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: May 6th, 2020, 9:13 amAnd Russians do not differentiate between long and short vowels too.
they don't ? :shock: I never really checked that. Well if there are double consonants after a vowel, I suppose it's a bit differently read than if there was only one consonant :hmm: but maybe that's not what you meant.
Sec.6: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_05_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [37:12]
UPDATE: I took liberty to translate a French sentence, as not many readers / listeners would understand it (unlike the readers of the original). Hope it's okay, I did it myself.
> you mean at 10:34-10:39: well the French translation here is in fact editing the text and adding something that the author didn't write, which we never do. It would have been different if the author had made a translation in a footnote, than you could have chosen to add it. But here it's best cut out.
Also remember that you didn't translate the several German sentences that we already encountered in previous sections, so why would you do it here with the French sentence ? I think if readers are interested, they can look it up themselves. ;) Alternatively you can give the translations in your intro review, although I think for such small sentences it's not really necessary.
Btw your French is really good :) I understood it perfectly. :thumbs:

> at 32:37: (p. 49) "он рад за чудного старика о. Христофора" - just for confirmation, does this о. mean "отца" ? I think that's what I hear here :hmm:

the rest of the text is perfect again, thank you

and have a nice weekend

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: May 8th, 2020, 5:48 am
chulsky wrote: May 6th, 2020, 9:13 amAnd Russians do not differentiate between long and short vowels too.
they don't ? :shock: I never really checked that. Well if there are double consonants after a vowel, I suppose it's a bit differently read than if there was only one consonant :hmm: but maybe that's not what you meant.
No, I was talking about vowels. I don't think the vowel's sound depends on doubling of the preceding consonant; it does change if there is a soft sign "ь" in front, between the consonant and the vowel, though, e.g. "польёт" vs "полёт," could you possibly mean that?
... the French translation here is in fact editing the text and adding something that the author didn't write, which we never do.
No problem, I just used to add translations in other projects, and you did not mind clarifications for "мир" vs "мiр" and "Tворец" vs "творец", so I thought this might be okay too, no problem, I did the cut :-)
Btw your French is really good :) I understood it perfectly. :thumbs:
That's funny, I tried to make my Russian accent even worse, as Chekhov meant it to be a badly accented French. :-)
"он рад за чудного старика о. Христофора" - just for confirmation, does this о. mean "отца" ? I think that's what I hear here :hmm:
Yes, exactly. Meaning "holy father", not just "father."

Posted: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_05_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [37:06] (for spot PL, translation cut @ 10:30)
and https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes3_06_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [37:12]