Post by GillH »

RSlabaugh wrote: April 19th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Kazbek wrote: April 17th, 2020, 4:19 pm And here's section 41:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_41_turner_128kb.mp3
24:18

Cheers,
Michael
PL OK :thumbs:

About amplify, I was hoping there's some way of doing the whole deal without going through and picking out what to amplify and what to 'de-amplify'. But thankfully it's not as lengthy a file as some, if that's what it'll take.

Thanks again,
Hi. Just a thought: If you zoom out a bit on Audacity you can see which parts have bigger amplitude - these are the louder parts.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Orphaning section 62. Any takers?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm Orphaning section 62. Any takers?
Moi!

ETA: Wow, I completely misread your post in Orphans, thought this was an "easy read" but you put "not an easy read"... German, French, Spanish, Italian, Latin, and a ton of names. Well, let me see what I can do with it...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! And hopefully you won't regret it. :lol:
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I kind of do! It's recorded but I think I rather butchered the Latin... Will be a lot of editing. I'll try to get it done this weekend.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I had some spare time, so I tried fine tuning the volume on 37. Here's my result: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_37_turner_128kb_tg.mp3

Yvonne, if you're happy with this, we can use it. Otherwise you're certainly welcome to fix it up yourself. :)

I made no other changes other than volume stuff.
ymdht

Post by ymdht »

Hi!

Tricia it sounds better than I was able to get it. Thank you. What did you use? RapidGain or Amplify in Audacity?
Again thank you for your help. :clap:

Yvonne

TriciaG wrote: April 29th, 2020, 5:48 pm I had some spare time, so I tried fine tuning the volume on 37. Here's my result: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_37_turner_128kb_tg.mp3

Yvonne, if you're happy with this, we can use it. Otherwise you're certainly welcome to fix it up yourself. :)

I made no other changes other than volume stuff.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Tricia it sounds better than I was able to get it. Thank you. What did you use? RapidGain or Amplify in Audacity?
Yes. :lol:

ReplayGain is a tool in Audacity that tells you how much to amplify. Amplify raises or lowers the volume.

What I did was listen through the file and raise/lower different portions of it that. I highlighted the portion, used ReplayGain to determine how much to amplify it, and then did so on each portion. A bit tedious, but it was a short-ish file, so not a big deal. I wouldn't have bothered with a 45- minute section! :)

Rosebud - I left the section as "Ready for spot PL" - but since Yvonne did listen through, it's your choice if you want to do so. At the very least, please check the front and back ends to make sure the file uploaded in its entirety. :)
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Sounds good to me! I've marked Section 37 as PL OK now. :thumbs:
~Rosebud
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi, so so sorry that's it's taken me so long, just finishing it up right now hopefully; will post again!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

OK here it is, such as it is. There are some glitches over a couple of words - I tried to re-record but it was worse and very noticeable. Sorry to the PLer for a few butchered pronunciations in languages in which I'm not fluent (Spanish, Italian, Latin), and even languages in which I am, sort of (English, German, French).

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_62_turner_128kb.mp3 22:37

Again, many apologies for the lateness.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! I'm just glad that it is done (not that it took you a long time - that's understandable. But I'm glad that it is done at all)! We forgive you in advance for not being all-knowing and all-fluent. ;)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thank you! Haha, re-reading my post now, I sound pompous, rather than apologetic. ;) Sorry again.

Let's just hope there are not too many mistakes...
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

:lol: I won’t know the difference on a lot of those languages! I'm limited to English, a form of German, and only enough Spanish to get by if I need it. It's neat though how those three enable you to understand bits of other languages that are related. Looking forward to hearing what you've got! :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Gesine wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:19 am OK here it is, such as it is. There are some glitches over a couple of words - I tried to re-record but it was worse and very noticeable. Sorry to the PLer for a few butchered pronunciations in languages in which I'm not fluent (Spanish, Italian, Latin), and even languages in which I am, sort of (English, German, French).

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_62_turner_128kb.mp3 22:37

Again, many apologies for the lateness.
PL notes:
*An export issue which made checker fail the file... 103 kbps (variable) stereo (Joint). Did your settings adjust themselves somehow? :hmm:

*A few longish pauses that you may use your discretion in trimming: ~0:15, ~0:19, & ~19:12

I could hear that you didn't feel confident for all of the pronunciations, etc., but that's rather to be expected. 8-) And don't worry, you weren't the only one in this project to deal with that! IMHO you did just fine! :)
~Rosebud