'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Jeanette (Jeanette Ferguson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please thank Jeanette Ferguson for the reading of the Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass.

Dave Chapelle recommended this book in one of the features he has in Netflix and I’m very thankful that Jeanette took the time to read it and now I can enjoy it while I walk around my home in Spain during this quarentine.

feel free to share my email with her.

Regards

Alfredo, (51 year old factory worker from the Pamplona, Spain)
All of Jeanette's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for a.r.dobbs (Anita Roy Dobbs) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Dobbs,
I want you to know how heartily I have enjoyed your reading of the two chapters in Don Quixote Volume 1.
It is absolutely extraordinary. You are a great interpreter.
You brought so much life to Cervantes' story. I played it more than once.
I am sure Sr. Cervantes would be MOST PLEASED.
For some reason, in high school, I wanted to learn enough Spanish to be able to read Cervantes in his native Spanish. And I did it!

Last month, I saw a beautiful larger than life bronze sculpture in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, of Sancho and Don Quixote kneeling at the feet of their creator, Cervantes, and gazing up at him adoringly. I loved discovering it, without warning, beneath the trees.

If you read about Cervantes life, you will discover he was one tough nut.

Thank you again, and be well,
from your idealistic fan,
Diane

Diane
Columbia CA

All of Anita's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AmethystA (Mary Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Mary Anderson at LibriVox,

I wanted to say thank you so very much for your recording of 'Pollyanna' by Eleanor H. Porter: https://librivox.org/pollyanna-by-eleanor-h-porter/ I so enjoyed it as it kept me company many long nights while I was sick this past winter. Your voice was such a comfort, you felt like a friend. I deeply appreciate the time and effort you took to volunteer and record it. Thank you to you and LibriVox for making it available to us avid readers (and listeners).

All the very best wishes,

Caity

All of Mary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for eli_christoff (Ellis Christoff) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ellis,
Your lovely voice reading Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens has been giving me so much pleasure during this quarantine period. Thank you so much!
Hazel in South Africa

--
Hazel

All of Ellis' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mongope (Mongope) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Gracias Montse,

Empecé a leer Los Miserables en una edición excelente en papel, pero mi vista cansada me hizo ir acortando y distanciando las sesiones, por más que el libro me apasionaba.

Me decidí a buscar un audiolibro de dominio público, y encontré tu lectura.

Has hecho mucho más que leer o entonar. Has interpretado la historia, dotando a cada personaje de vida y emoción en cada diálogo.

Has encarnado, como narradora, nada menos que a mi admiradisimo Víctor Hugo, con una lectura vibrante y evocadora.

Ya sé que falta la última parte: no importa, ya has hecho muchísimo, y si llega la ocasión de que puedas seguir adelante con ese proyecto, será una suerte poder escucharlo.

Ahora estoy disfrutando de tu narración de Cumbres Borrascosas. Al elegirla te confieso que dudé si me gustaría esta obra (conozco la historia por la película), pero me está encantando porque has conferido a los personajes mucha más personalidad y humanidad, que si hiciera una lectura silenciosa.

¿Te has planteado la interpretación o el doblaje como profesional?

No puedo menos que expresarte, al modo decimonónico, mi más sincera admiración y simpatía.

Cuídate y adelante,

Carlos
and...
Thank you, Montse, for a wonderful reading of Les Misérables in Spanish (tomes I, II, III & IV so far). Without you I don't think I ever would've gotten this far into this monster of a book. When my sight is so tired from hours at the office and then studying that it gets blurry and reading as a hobby becomes impossible, only the help of people like you allows me to keep enjoying literature. The story itself may have its ups and downs but, even in the densest deepest pits of philosophy, your voice never falters. You're doing an amazing job. Congratulations.

Gracias, Montse, por una maravillosa lectura de Los Miserables (tomos I, II, III & IV hasta ahora). Sin ti no creo que nunca hubiera llegado tan lejos en este monstruo de libro. Cuando mi vista está tan cansada de horas en la oficina y después estudiando que se vuelve borrosa y la lectura como hobby se hace imposible, solo la ayuda de gente como tú me permite seguir disfrutando de la literatura. La historia en sí puede que tenga sus altibajos pero, incluso en los más profundos y densos pozos de filosofía, tu voz nunca vacila. Estás haciendo un trabajo genial. Enhorabuena.

https://librivox.org/los-miserables-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-tomo-ii-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-iii-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-tome-iv-by-victor-hugo/

All of Mongope's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for hhanover (Hollis Hanover) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just listened to your reading of Free Air by Sinclair Lewis and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your rendition. I intend to listen next to something read by you. Thank you very much.
--
Best Wishes!

Sheri

All of Hollis' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
mongope

Post by mongope »

icequeen wrote: April 14th, 2020, 9:00 pm Praise received for mongope (Mongope) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Gracias Montse,

Empecé a leer Los Miserables en una edición excelente en papel, pero mi vista cansada me hizo ir acortando y distanciando las sesiones, por más que el libro me apasionaba.

Me decidí a buscar un audiolibro de dominio público, y encontré tu lectura.

Has hecho mucho más que leer o entonar. Has interpretado la historia, dotando a cada personaje de vida y emoción en cada diálogo.

Has encarnado, como narradora, nada menos que a mi admiradisimo Víctor Hugo, con una lectura vibrante y evocadora.

Ya sé que falta la última parte: no importa, ya has hecho muchísimo, y si llega la ocasión de que puedas seguir adelante con ese proyecto, será una suerte poder escucharlo.

Ahora estoy disfrutando de tu narración de Cumbres Borrascosas. Al elegirla te confieso que dudé si me gustaría esta obra (conozco la historia por la película), pero me está encantando porque has conferido a los personajes mucha más personalidad y humanidad, que si hiciera una lectura silenciosa.

¿Te has planteado la interpretación o el doblaje como profesional?

No puedo menos que expresarte, al modo decimonónico, mi más sincera admiración y simpatía.

Cuídate y adelante,

Carlos
and...
Thank you, Montse, for a wonderful reading of Les Misérables in Spanish (tomes I, II, III & IV so far). Without you I don't think I ever would've gotten this far into this monster of a book. When my sight is so tired from hours at the office and then studying that it gets blurry and reading as a hobby becomes impossible, only the help of people like you allows me to keep enjoying literature. The story itself may have its ups and downs but, even in the densest deepest pits of philosophy, your voice never falters. You're doing an amazing job. Congratulations.

Gracias, Montse, por una maravillosa lectura de Los Miserables (tomos I, II, III & IV hasta ahora). Sin ti no creo que nunca hubiera llegado tan lejos en este monstruo de libro. Cuando mi vista está tan cansada de horas en la oficina y después estudiando que se vuelve borrosa y la lectura como hobby se hace imposible, solo la ayuda de gente como tú me permite seguir disfrutando de la literatura. La historia en sí puede que tenga sus altibajos pero, incluso en los más profundos y densos pozos de filosofía, tu voz nunca vacila. Estás haciendo un trabajo genial. Enhorabuena.

https://librivox.org/los-miserables-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-tomo-ii-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-iii-by-victor-hugo/
https://librivox.org/los-miserables-tome-iv-by-victor-hugo/

All of Mongope's recordings!
Muchísimas gracias, a ambos.
Me emociona saber de primera mano que este trabajo voluntario sirve para ayudar a personas como vosotros. Vosotros sí que me ayudáis a mí a seguir adelante con este tarea maravillosa y la vez ...a veces dura y sobre todo solitaria.
Infinitas gracias, Carlos y...no he podido ver el nombre de la otra persona. Gracias :D

Montse.
Montse
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

icequeen wrote: April 14th, 2020, 8:49 pm Praise received for a.r.dobbs (Anita Roy Dobbs) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Dobbs,
I want you to know how heartily I have enjoyed your reading of the two chapters in Don Quixote Volume 1.
It is absolutely extraordinary. You are a great interpreter.
You brought so much life to Cervantes' story. I played it more than once.
I am sure Sr. Cervantes would be MOST PLEASED.
For some reason, in high school, I wanted to learn enough Spanish to be able to read Cervantes in his native Spanish. And I did it!

Last month, I saw a beautiful larger than life bronze sculpture in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, of Sancho and Don Quixote kneeling at the feet of their creator, Cervantes, and gazing up at him adoringly. I loved discovering it, without warning, beneath the trees.

If you read about Cervantes life, you will discover he was one tough nut.

Thank you again, and be well,
from your idealistic fan,
Diane

Diane
Columbia CA

All of Anita's recordings!
Dear Diane,
I cannot adequately express my delight and gratitude for your lovely message, thank you very truly.
I felt lucky those two chapters were available to record, and so privileged to experience the earnest Don Quixote. In preparing, I did read about the AMAZING trials of Cervantes' life, and that knowledge made me try the harder to honor Don Quixote's sincerity.

It is thrilling that my narration struck the right chord with Such a Fan of Cervantes!
You deserved that unexpected discovery of a beautiful statue, and you deserve applause for reading the original Spanish! Yow.
I'm touched by your message, humbled and ... Very Thrilled!

Many thanks,
Anita
Anita
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for wildemoose (Arielle Lipshaw) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear ma'am,
I am Porkkodi, a long time user of librivox for its incredible collection of amazing works. And, I really enjoyed your readings in Dracula and the child version of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Thank you so much for your time and enthusiasm! I really hope that you will do such readings, especially dramatic roles, in many more works, preferably something from the late twentieth century!
Thanking you,
Porkkodi.

All of Arielle's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for HollyBliss (Holly Bliss) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear ma'am,
I am an avid admirer of the scarlet pimpernel, and this admiration for the hero, and the series was sowed in me by you, your wonderful performance in The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. Especially, your narration of the sixteenth chapter was more poignant, with your tones and modulations. It was simply captivating. I sincerely hope you would read more, something from contemporary times, And I thank you for your time and enthusiastic effort in Scarlet Pimpernel.
Thanking you,
Porkkodi.

All of Holly's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dg73 (dg73) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just listened and laughed to Bill the Bloodhound in the LibriVox Short Story Collection Vol. 067. PG Wodehouse is so funny, and you did a great job rendering his humor. Thanks.

All of dg73's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bennow (Ben Adams) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Good morning from Milan, Italy!

I would like to give my sincere thanks to Mr. Ben Adams, who gave such a vibrant, heartfelt rendition of the text of the audiobook by Dr. Rupert Wheldon “No Animal Food”.

I am most endebted to Mr. Adams, who enabled me to access this book, which I would have otherwise never read.

I listened to it while weeding in my garden in the Po Valley in northern Italy during the lockdown and it was great company as well as a joy to my heart (I’ve been a vegetarian for over 30 years), such clear, logical, beautifully written text paired with excellent pronunciation, intonation, enthusiasm.

Molte grazie.

Jessica

All of Ben's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear MaryAnn,
I have just finished listening to your reading of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.
I live in the UK and so at first, hearing your American ( maybe Canadian) accent I was a bit sceptical. However your voice was exactly right for bringing this classic tale to life.
In these dreadful times of the Virus, I was able to escape back to 19th century England and to follow the lives of the Hayles and the Thorntons.
Thank you so much,
Keep safe,
Sincerely
Linda
and...
Hello Mary Ann:

I am a high school teacher in Cincinnati and am spending my “social distancing” marathon listening to some books I’ve longed to read for years.

I discovered John Muir too late. On one of my favorite websites, “BrainPickings,” Maria Popova mentions Muir a lot. I bookmark all of those posts. The beauty of his language and his insight into nature always move me. I promise myself I’ll pick up one of his books, then alas, life takes over.

So now with time stretched ad infinitum, I first listened to “My First Summer In The Sierra.” Amazing. Then I found your reading of “A Thousand Mile Walk.” I just finished it about 15 minutes ago, and I wanted to thank you. I’ve fallen asleep to this book every night this week, every morning eagerly reaching for my tablet and starting where I left off. An excellent way to start each day (even if I’m no longer sure what day it is).

I enjoy your voice, and appreciate the patience and effort this must require. I often read aloud to my students, and I don’t think many people understand that reading aloud is work. It sounds like you do this quite a bit!

So thank you. It was not only a pleasure, but I also believe that what you are doing is important. It makes me sad to think that books like this are becoming largely forgotten; I don’t know how many people still read Muir. Maybe your recording will helps bring him to more readers. He’s a national treasure, and the times we’re living through make his poetry and his insights and his reverence for nature all the more poignant.

I hope you and your family are well. Take care out there.

Ryan

All of MaryAnn's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChrisHughes (Chris Hughes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recordings of Shakespeare's Sonnets (version 2):
Hi Librivox

As a Shakespeare fan ( I’m a guide/docent at Anne Hathaway’s Cottage here in Stratford upon Avon) and amateur musician, I took the sonnets as inspiration for some music I created on my PC. Chris Hughes’ recordings work really well with the loops and sound effects and I’m grateful for the use of his vocals in my tracks.

I’ve not done this for commercial gain, just for interest and entertainment, so please forward on this link to the songs on my SoundCloud page for Chris (and you) to listen to.

https://soundcloud.com/user-522587607/all-sonnets/s-QZgud

Hope you all enjoy them and I’m working on the next five!

Cheers

Steve

All of Chris' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Mil Nicholson for her wonderful reading of Dombey and Son. She created a voice for each character, which in a Dickens book means a lot of characters! I enjoyed it from beginning to end and would like to thank her heartily.

---Cathy
and...

Dear Mil,
I would just like to say how much I have enjoyed listening to Bleak House (Version 3) by Charles Dickens. You read it so well and I was completely absorbed in the storyline.
I very much enjoyed listening to the book, so thank you for all the time that you have invested in reading and recording it for the benefit of others.
Kind regards,
Tamsin

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!