[COMPLETE]On Being Negro in America by J. Saunders Redding - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, we are moved, and msfry is in as DPL. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 20th, 2020, 4:13 pm Ok, it's not too late to do that. Go ahead and assign the remaining sections to yourself, and as soon as I can, I will move us to Going Solo.
Thank you. Apologies for the bother.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 1
2:23 - 2:53 the prophesy should be in quotes, I think, and Atlantic Monthly footnote cited. It's rich.
Footnote 1 "" Virginius Dabney, “Nearer and Nearer the Precipice,” The Atlantic Monthly (January 1943).
2:50 amicable race relations, you say amacle

Section 2 and 3 PL OK
Don't forget, you can use the shortened LV disclaimer on solos.
"This Librivox recording is in the public domain."

This is going to be interesting!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 20th, 2020, 4:51 pm PL Notes Section 1
2:23 - 2:53 the prophesy should be in quotes, I think, and Atlantic Monthly footnote cited. It's rich.
Footnote 1 "" Virginius Dabney, “Nearer and Nearer the Precipice,” The Atlantic Monthly (January 1943).
2:50 amicable race relations, you say amacle

Section 2 and 3 PL OK
Don't forget, you can use the shortened LV disclaimer on solos.
"This Librivox recording is in the public domain."

This is going to be interesting!
Thank you.

Yes, a very interesting read.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kevin, I've updated the first post with the optional shortened disclaimer, to make it easy for you to find if you want to use it.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 21st, 2020, 10:01 am Kevin, I've updated the first post with the optional shortened disclaimer, to make it easy for you to find if you want to use it.
Thank you!

You know, I've been a volunteer for a year now and I still haven't memorized the disclaimers.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Last edited by KevinS on April 21st, 2020, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry, do you mind if I take your advice ... and give the second and third sections the short disclaimer? More work for you!
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: April 21st, 2020, 11:33 am msfry, do you mind if I take your advice ... and give the second and third sections the short disclaimer? More work for you!
I hoped you would. The long disclaimer gets so monotonous I feel sorry for our listeners, especially on short chapters. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

I checked Section 2 and 3 and they still have the long disclaimer. Let me know if/when you want me to check again. I will leave them marked PL OK.

PL Notes Section 4
3:23 She could no longer be, you say I
3:56 to feel my way into the particularities of, you say peculiarities

I wouldn't notice either of these errors if I wasn't following along with the text. Let me know if you change them.

Section 5 PL OK
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 1:31 pm I checked Section 2 and 3 and they still have the long disclaimer. Let me know if/when you want me to check again. I will leave them marked PL OK.

PL Notes Section 4
3:23 She could no longer be, you say I
3:56 to feel my way into the particularities of, you say peculiarities

I wouldn't notice either of these errors if I wasn't following along with the text. Let me know if you change them.

Section 5 PL OK
I actually appreciate a close listening. Thank you. And I'll let you know when I put in the short disclaimers for 2 and 3.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 6
5:15 missing phrase. And under these lights the cast principle, which white society insisted on and to which the Negroes were responding in the first place—under these lights, the caste principle broke down.

PL Notes 7
4:21 repeat "which rings as"
4:32 missing phrase. Dualism is looked on as the natural division of absolute opposites, of enemies: Communism and democracy, Eastern man and Western man, native and foreign,
6:53 It still seems so to the vast majority, still is missing. (in this case it matters as the sentence is comparing past to present)