Virus update - This should clear things up...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

This should clear things up for everyone.... or not...

The Rules as of today:

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.
2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.
3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.
4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.
5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.
6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help. But only if you don't trust them, and only if you remove them correctly.
7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it's important to GO OUT.
8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.
9. The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.
10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there… and, of course, that damn bat.
11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, my...
12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand and it's better not to go out, well, but no…
13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very wrong when you get some fresh air, and most importantly, you don't go to parks or walk. But don’t sit down, except that you can do that now if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant (but not too old). If you are old and pregnant, then just stay home.
14. You can't go to retirement homes, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication.
15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy. Even though they have no cure. And they're out of all the things that don't help.
16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?
17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview must start with " I don't want to trigger panic, but…"
18. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.
19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don't live under the same roof.
20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.
21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.
22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.
23. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of. Unless the test was from that bad-batch, with false-positives - no, negatives - uh, both?
24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take too much (which is the case with all medications), or unless you deprive your fish of recovering from a disease that comes from ... breathing oxygen.
25. We should stay locked up to not get infected until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective herd immunity . . . which we can only get by going outside and getting infected.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:lol:

So true.
Sadly!

What's with the "But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours." :?: That's the first time I hear that...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Ain't science grand!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks, David

That makes everything really clear .........or not :D

Anne
(And just to help make it go away - it's not our fault - it's THEIRS.)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

tovarisch wrote: April 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm Ain't science grand!
It is indeed, because it's the only way to make this virus go away - as it has been proven time and time again. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

You're only going to get herd immunity (that is, the chance that the disease will spread from an infected person is reduced to an acceptable level) when above a certain percentage of the population becomes immune. If I remember my microbiology courses correctly, that figure is around 85%. So we need either effective vaccination or natural infection for this proportion of the population. Given that we won't have a vaccine for over a year, we have to rely on the infection spreading.

I believe that the sole function of the lockdown (and widespread use of masks etc) is not to prevent the spread of infection, but to prevent it spreading so fast that some of the patients who need hospital treatment can't get it. At some point, someone will have to balance the capacity of the health system to handle the increased flow of sick patients against the damage to the economy and to the psychiatric, social and financial status of the individuals in it.

EDIT: ... and I've just heard that the WHO (and an immunology expert who was interviewed on the BBC) seem doubtful that previous infection with a coronavirus confers immunity, so we really do have a problem!

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on April 18th, 2020, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Speaking from the point of view of our bodies' ability to fight off the coronavirus, safe to say that resistance is utile.

You're probably firing up the ol' dictionary app about now, aren't you? :wink:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
schrm

Post by schrm »

well, the good news is, that aradlaw has summarized everything, that is internationally void and which is all we know of the epidemic in this moment.
the bad news is, this is all "we", internationally, know about the virus in this very moment.
Peter Why wrote: April 17th, 2020, 10:51 pm If I remember my microbiology courses correctly, that figure is around 85%.

I believe that the sole function of the lockdown (and widespread use of masks etc) is not to prevent the spread of infection, but to prevent it spreading so fast that some of At some point, someone will have to balance the capacity of the health system to handle the increased flow of sick patients against the damage to the economy and to the psychiatric, social and financial status of the individuals in it.
according to our media, some experts calulated a should be immunity percentage of 65% for the coronavirus.
that is, they calculated 55 to 90% with a probability of i think somwhere of 99%.

and regarding this balancing the damages...
i think, that is what we do, actually.
or should be done by our politicians.
or is planned to do, so.
or will never be done because we did it already as we said it had to be done.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Don't be afraid. The case fatality rate is only 2%. But they do make much ado. Why?

Be afraid. This is my presumption: If a coronavirus carrier gets pneumonia, the case fatality rate is nearly 100%: The virus only breaks the carrier's recuperative powers from pneumonia for life. (To tell the truth, I'm a guardian of time. I came from the 121th Century world.)
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

If I were the Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzou (安倍 晋三), my duties (nay, privileges) would be as follows:

1) Having fireside chats. I will declare A War Against Coronavirus on the air.

2) Issuing wartime bonds. This is necessary because we are at war.

3) A declaration of Three Duties: duty as a Corona country, duty as a host country, and duty as a stock market.

4) Redistrubuting the money to the poor.

"Close your eyes to the refund now because we are at war. Look at the sun behind the clouds because we are at war. Look at peoples in the street! Anything goes! Anything goes! Because we are at war!!"

Abe, address as that on your stage! Go!
Last edited by CSCO on April 23rd, 2020, 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please, let us not get political in our forum. It is one of the two topics that cause the most angst and trouble among otherwise rational beings. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I agree with all the opposing oppositions here...right or wrong!

And I disagree with everyone...except those who don't.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

realisticspeakers wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:54 am I agree with all the opposing oppositions here...right or wrong!

And I disagree with everyone...except those who don't.
Well said! :lol:
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

TriciaG wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:17 am Please, let us not get political in our forum. It is one of the two topics that cause the most angst and trouble among otherwise rational beings. :)

Oh, I'm sorry. I will delete the post by myself.
That's your heart.
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Oh, I cannot delete it.
That's your heart.