[COMPLETE][SOLO][CZECH][Fantasy] Krysař by Viktor Dyk - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Krysař – Viktor Dyk (1877 - 1931).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/krysar-by-viktor-dyk/
Krátká novela českého spisovatele Viktora Dyka, jejímž námětem je staroněmecká saská pověst. Krysař přichází do města, aby ho zbavil krys; když mu pak ale není vyplacena slíbená odměna, krutě se měšťanům pomstí. Dyk tento motiv zpracoval s prvky symbolismu i romance, což z Krysaře dělá nadčasové a poetické dílo. (Kudrna)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://kramerius5.nkp.cz/view/uuid:809460a0-a519-11e3-b74a-5ef3fc9ae867?page=uuid:b75791e0-c489-11e3-93a3-005056825209
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Kapitola [kolikátá] knihy Krysař. Toto je nahrávka LibriVox. Všechny nahrávky LibriVox jsou volným dílem. Pro více informací o projektu nebo možnosti dobrovolničení prosím navštivte Librivox TEČKA org."
      • If you wish, say: "Nahrál(a) [Vaše jméno], [město, Váš blog, podcast, webová adresa]"
      • Say:
        "Krysař, napsal Viktor Dyk. Kapitola [kolikátá]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "Konec [kolikáté] kapitoly"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Nahrál(a) [Vaše jméno], [město, Váš blog, podcast, webová adresa]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "Konec knihy Krysař, napsal Viktor Dyk."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      krysar_##_dyk_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. krysar_01_dyk_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Kudrna on May 17th, 2020, 8:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hello Kudrna, I remember you from checking your one-minute-test :D

And this project is highly interesting to me, because I actually saw the movie based on the book with Petr Jakl in the main role as the Krysar. It was a cool movie. 8-) Maybe you have seen it too.

However before we start, we need to change the text source, because the PDF file you linked to is not in the public domain :( It clearly states it was based on the book from 1958 and I think there have been some changes done to the original 1915 version by Dyk. We need to have a source that is clearly published before 1923.

Now I did a bit of research and I actually found the scan from 1915 in the Narodni knihovna Cesky republiki, which I suppose is the national library, correct ? Here is the link, if you agree to read only from this source, then we can launch the project.

http://kramerius5.nkp.cz/view/uuid:809460a0-a519-11e3-b74a-5ef3fc9ae867?page=uuid:b75791e0-c489-11e3-93a3-005056825209

Please let me know if this is acceptable to you.

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Hi Sonia :)
I haven't seen the film but I've read the book many times :D I really like it and as it's quite short and actually simple, I felt like this could be a good book to start with.
You're right, now I see that it was published much later than the original; to be honest, I just checked the original publication date and the Public Domain sign.. :oops: The link that you've found is definitely acceptable; I can see that it's indeed a bit older version and some words are different but it's not like that it couldn't be easily understood.
Thanks a lot for the source; can't wait to start with the project 8-)
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:54 amThe link that you've found is definitely acceptable; I can see that it's indeed a bit older version and some words are different but it's not like that it couldn't be easily understood.
great, I'll build the Magic Window then and let you fill it out. Will you be the prooflistener as well, or do you prefer another one ? Also I am not sure how many Czech-speaking readers are around right now, so we may need to be patient to finish the project.

MW coming up soon....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok MW is up and you are put in as BC, so you should be able to access the MW and fill in all the chapters. As they don't have chapter titles, this will be an easy task. I started the first two, to show you what it will look like.

To log into the MW, press BC Admin underneath the MW. Maybe you need to change your password to get in, then press "forgot password" and you will receive an email where you can change it. Let me know if you have any trouble accessing.

We will stay here for a day or two, until all is ready then I move us over to the foreign-language forum.

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

MW is updated; I changed "Chapter" for "Kapitola" to Czech and added links to the specific pages.
Currently it seems there are two of us Czechs (actually that's what encouraged me to start this project :D) and I thought we could do the PL of each other's chapters. Is it possible? I mean, am I, as a BC, allowed to record some chapters too? Maybe then it shouldn't be marked as DPL project, I'm not sure.
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: April 24th, 2020, 1:51 amMW is updated; I changed "Chapter" for "Kapitola" to Czech and added links to the specific pages.
ah yes, good idea :thumbs: I see you managed it all
Currently it seems there are two of us Czechs (actually that's what encouraged me to start this project :D) and I thought we could do the PL of each other's chapters. Is it possible?
yes technically that would be possible, even though I can only credit one as DPL, sorry. Only one slot for that.

What I could offer, since they are short sections and you seem to be both quite new at it, I could be DPL for the project and give you some feedback if you wish :) Although I don't speak Czech but I started learning it a bit a few years ago and I am currently learning Russian, and there are many similiarities. I would feel confident to read and check along with the text, if you are not rushing too fast in your reading ;) A slower pace is better anyway for a nice listening experience, so I guess I would manage.
I mean, am I, as a BC, allowed to record some chapters too?
yes you are always allowed to record sections as well :)

Let me know if you wish me to be your DPL then I can move us over to the foreign language forum. I would be enjoying the experience of listening to Czech and I am curious how much the book differs from the movie. :)

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Wow, that's a nice surprise! If you wish to be a DPL, that would be great :) You're right that we are both quite unexperienced (although it's been a year since you checked my one-minute test :D) and I guess that the project will take longer to complete than what's usual; on the other hand, the prooflistening at least won't be overwhelming :D
I'm happy we can get started; I think you'll have something to PL soon :)

I have one more (now just general) question – I understand that there's only one slot for the DPL; is it possible to have a project without DPL and let different people to pick what they want to PL?
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:07 amWow, that's a nice surprise! If you wish to be a DPL, that would be great :)
ok let's do that then :) (please don't read too fast for me to follow :help: )
You're right that we are both quite unexperienced (although it's been a year since you checked my one-minute test :D) and I guess that the project will take longer to complete than what's usual; on the other hand, the prooflistening at least won't be overwhelming :D
I'm happy we can get started; I think you'll have something to PL soon :)
before you or your friend record anything, please officially claim the section and insert the names of the readers in the correct slots, so we know who does what. I want to prevent that two or more readers do the same section
I have one more (now just general) question – I understand that there's only one slot for the DPL; is it possible to have a project without DPL and let different people to pick what they want to PL?
yes of course that is possible. Sometimes a project doesn't find a DPL but lots of volunteers help out with a section if they have time to check one. Then the project doesn't have an official DPL. But you'll have me now :mrgreen: so no need to look further.

Looking forward to this. And I'll move us over now. Did your friend already do the one-minute-test ? Best start with that, please tell her/him.

Oh and one final thing: I see you took the synopsis from wikipedia. Would it be possible to do your own small review, doesn't have to be much. We usually don't just copy from other sites (again, because of PD rights)

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Kitty wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:17 am Before you or your friend record anything, please officially claim the section and insert the names of the readers in the correct slots, so we know who does what. I want to prevent that two or more readers do the same section
Of course, we'll keep to the LibriVox claiming rules :)
Did your friend already do the one-minute-test ? Best start with that, please tell her/him.
No, she haven't completed it yet but I informed her about it and I think she'll do it as soon as she gets the recording equipment.
Kudrna
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Here's the first chapter ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_01_dyk_128kb.mp3
Duration: 09:34

Please let me know if it's too fast (or any other feedback). I wasn't sure about the speed – I tried to speak clearly and slowly but I didn't want it to sound sleepy at the same time. But it's quite short and it's no problem to re-record it :)
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: April 25th, 2020, 9:17 pm Here's the first chapter ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_01_dyk_128kb.mp3
Duration: 09:34
Please let me know if it's too fast (or any other feedback). I wasn't sure about the speed – I tried to speak clearly and slowly but I didn't want it to sound sleepy at the same time. But it's quite short and it's no problem to re-record it :)
no need to re-record :clap: It was very easy for me to follow with the text, you don't read too fast and very clear. Once I got used to the way some letters are pronounced, it was getting easier for me. And many parts I understood because it is similar in Russian.

Actually the only suggestion I may give you is concerning the pauses between the sentences. You don't have to drag those out that long (unless you wish to). But maybe that is why you think you sound sleepy. For a listener, 1.5 seconds maximum is fully enough between paragraphs. Sometimes you have 1.7 or even 2 seconds. This seems long to me.

I don't think you need to change anything here now, it's a good chapter and word-perfect so it will be marked PL ok. But maybe you can consider it for the next chapter. Now, don't misunderstand me ! Pauses to think about the story are important, so don't cut them too short. But between 1 second and 1.5 seconds is fully enough. And not between every sentence. If the action is faster, you can also make the pauses shorter. Just don't rush through it without any breaks ;)

Thanks, looking forward to more :)

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Kitty wrote: April 26th, 2020, 1:58 am no need to re-record :clap: It was very easy for me to follow with the text, you don't read too fast and very clear. Once I got used to the way some letters are pronounced, it was getting easier for me. And many parts I understood because it is similar in Russian.
Great! Yes, lots of words and grammar are similar in almost all slavic languages – I believe that if you understand Czech and Russian on this level, you would be able to follow even with Polish, Slovak and others too :)
Actually the only suggestion I may give you is concerning the pauses between the sentences.
Yes, I was thinking about it during recording but as I focused on speaking clearly, eventually I lost the ability to consider what is "normal" and what is too long :D I'll try to make it better in the next recordings.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad the project started so well :D
Kudrna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kudrna wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:16 amI believe that if you understand Czech and Russian on this level, you would be able to follow even with Polish, Slovak and others too :)
I already listened to a few Polish sections, to a Serbian story and I think also to Croatian if I remember correctly. And yes, they are similar too. Especially when hearing it, it looks a bit strange to see it written in the Roman alphabet instead of Kyrillic. :lol: But the sounds are very similar often and many words I can understand because they are also similar. It's fun and a good practice. I love languages and I love the sound of the Slavic languages. :9:
Yes, I was thinking about it during recording but as I focused on speaking clearly, eventually I lost the ability to consider what is "normal" and what is too long :D
what I always do after recording and cleaning out the errors is listening once more to the whole text. And then I adjust the silences in between when I notice they are too long and "throw me out" of the story. Listening to it once without the text in front of my eyes I focus more on the pace and then I can adjust better. :)

Sonia
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Kitty wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:19 am I already listened to a few Polish sections, to a Serbian story and I think also to Croatian if I remember correctly. And yes, they are similar too. Especially when hearing it, it looks a bit strange to see it written in the Roman alphabet instead of Kyrillic. :lol: But the sounds are very similar often and many words I can understand because they are also similar. It's fun and a good practice. I love languages and I love the sound of the Slavic languages. :9:
Wow, that's admirable range of languages! It must be great to know you're able to understand the majority of Europeans :lol:

Here are two of the claimed sections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_02_dyk_128kb.mp3
Duration: 02:38
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/krysar_03_dyk_128kb.mp3
Duration: 03:15

I tried to make the length of the pauses more appropriate; let me know what you think about it :)
Kudrna