Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
OliverBoliver

Post by OliverBoliver »

KevinS wrote: March 20th, 2020, 9:15 am
OliverBoliver wrote: March 20th, 2020, 8:11 am Any advice would be welcomed.
I think it's a wonderful idea!

Putting aside my excitement and enthusiasm, however, one practical point comes to mind. Is your daughter and her friends willing and able to edit their own individual recordings? That makes things much easier and certainly more in keeping with LibriVox custom. Given this, I don't think it would be difficult to find a BC or other volunteer to do the final editing and piecing together.
I suspect some will have that ability, depending on where they are currently residing and what equipment they have available. Many are displaced (not allowed to live in dorms, any longer) so are a bit disrupted. This will be an experiment, of sorts, to see what they can do and how much effort they are willing to invest. They are familiar with doing read-throughs of a script, and I imagine they might do that via tele- or video-conference before recording their individual pieces (so they understand how their characters interact). I'm willing to do the final editing for them, at least for this first attempt (it was my idea, after all :wink: ). I'll try to find a suitable work depending on how many are interested.
Eric in Charlotte, NC
My screen name is from one of the stories read to my children quite often, "Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss. My kids are grown, so now I read to everyone and no one.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

One idea would be to have each do a dramatic monologue and you could put it together as a collection. That would be quite simple and rather interesting. (I assume this would be all right for LibriVox. I don't see why it wouldn't be.)

Another possibility would be to have the friends perform a fictional epistolary work. Again, this would be easy and would give the friends something more to discuss together.

And Todd's ideas are always good.
OliverBoliver

Post by OliverBoliver »

Thanks Todd and Kevin. I will continue engaging my daughter and her classmates on this topic. I'm hoping to keep this fun and easy for them and maybe a few will get involved in other projects. Now that they can't rehearse for any shows or audition for post-graduate work, they suddenly have free time and I'm hoping to direct their energies to something useful for them (experience) and the broader community (recordings to share). I appreciate your support and guidance.
Eric in Charlotte, NC
My screen name is from one of the stories read to my children quite often, "Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss. My kids are grown, so now I read to everyone and no one.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

An Aladdin play! :D

https://archive.org/details/aladdinorwonder00oehlgoog/page/n19/mode/2up

To any interested parties: Be warned. The cast is massive. I stopped counting. But it's huge. Also, there are ten acts. Yes, you read that right. On top of that, the formatting is fairly terrible. This will require a very thorough PL at all stages. However, it's a fascinating work and would be wonderful to have in the catalogue, if someone is willing and able to accept the challenge. Published 1863, so we could make use of our entire troupe, not just the USA members.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hmmmm. Just what I don't need today. But, perhaps someday....

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, this would be a tough bite to chew. But worth it, I think. If I wasn't neck deep in two DRs right now, I'd be tempted to take it on myself.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We are getting a number of new people joining LibriVox these days, and it would be nice to have more plays running so there would be more roles to read. But my signature line is full - I take that as a warning to myself that I really should not take on more plays now myself. However, if anyone else wants to run something, I’ll be glad to help out. We have a lot of good selections listed in the last few pages of this forum....

Another possibility for ideas of plays to run is to look at making new versions of old favorites. Shakespeare 2020 perhaps?

Or maybe even shorter dramatic collections. I can’t get the current One Act Play collection filled up, but maybe there would be interest in some simpler collections that don’t need editing of material from multiple readers. Howsabout a Shakespeare Monologue Collection (actually I think is we have had some before so this would be another offering with new readers, new selections).

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Actually we have 14 Shakespeare monologue collections, so I guess having 15 would be fine!

Thanks, Todd
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ToddHW wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 7:27 am We are getting a number of new people joining LibriVox these days, and it would be nice to have more plays running so there would be more roles to read. But my signature line is full - I take that as a warning to myself that I really should not take on more plays now myself. However, if anyone else wants to run something, I’ll be glad to help out. We have a lot of good selections listed in the last few pages of this forum....

Another possibility for ideas of plays to run is to look at making new versions of old favorites. Shakespeare 2020 perhaps?

Or maybe even shorter dramatic collections. I can’t get the current One Act Play collection filled up, but maybe there would be interest in some simpler collections that don’t need editing of material from multiple readers. Howsabout a Shakespeare Monologue Collection (actually I think is we have had some before so this would be another offering with new readers, new selections).

Thanks, Todd
Excellent idea.
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Can anybody help me suggesting a one-act play that is PD in Europe? I fancy contributing something to Todd's One Act Play 13 (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76801) as a BC. I read through the reference lists included there and was uninspired.

I fancy something gothic.
Can anybody help?

thanks,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

mightyfelix wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:43 pm I enjoy running one acts, but I have too many other projects currently to take one on. Still, I know that they are here when I do have an opening in the future. Thanks!
Hello,
If you don't consider it presumptious, I'm going to offer to bc True Friendship for the one-act play collection 13.
Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

adrianstephens wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 3:24 am
mightyfelix wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:43 pm I enjoy running one acts, but I have too many other projects currently to take one on. Still, I know that they are here when I do have an opening in the future. Thanks!
Hello,
If you don't consider it presumptious, I'm going to offer to bc True Friendship for the one-act play collection 13.
Best Regards,
Adrian
Not at all, I was hoping someone would! Best of luck to you, and I hope you have fun with it! :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And yes, I will start another One Act collection soon.

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's "Hansel and Gretel; A Fairy Opera in Three Acts."
https://archive.org/details/hnselgretelfai00humpuoft/page/n1/mode/2up

It doesn't have music; looks like it could be done as a straight play.

What's also interesting is that it's also rendered in German (?); the German on the left side pages, the English on the right.

Too bad it's not in an easily-marked text format.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 7:27 am We are getting a number of new people joining LibriVox these days, and it would be nice to have more plays running so there would be more roles to read. But my signature line is full - I take that as a warning to myself that I really should not take on more plays now myself. However, if anyone else wants to run something, I’ll be glad to help out. We have a lot of good selections listed in the last few pages of this forum....

Thanks, Todd
Launched Shakespeare Monologue Collection 15. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79841

Thanks, Todd