[COMPLETE]On Being Negro in America by J. Saunders Redding - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

On Being Negro in America by J. Saunders Redding (1906 - 1988).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-being-negro-in-america-by-j-saunders-redding/
A penetrating, insightful, and thoroughly honest view of one's life in the United States as an African-American. (KevinS)
Volunteers outside the USA: J. Saunders Redding died in 1988. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61818
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Section [number] of On Being Negro in America. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "On Being Negro in America, by J. Saunders Redding. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of On Being Negro in America by J. Saunders Redding. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of On Being Negro in America, by J. Saunders Redding. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    7. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      onbeingnegroinamerica_##_redding_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. onbeingnegroinamerica_01_redding_128kb.mp3)
    8. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: J. Saunders Redding
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: On Being Negro in America

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
    This essay contains subject matter and language that require of the reader maturity and historical perspective.
Last edited by KevinS on April 23rd, 2020, 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Kevin! This looks like a great book. I'll be happy to MC for you.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, Kevin, you've got a fully functioning MW!

I did edit the source link you used for your text. Remember that for Gutenberg books, you should always post the link to the main book entry, not to one or another of the available formats. :wink:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 18th, 2020, 9:17 pm Alright, Kevin, you've got a fully functioning MW!

I did edit the source link you used for your text. Remember that for Gutenberg books, you should always post the link to the main book entry, not to one or another of the available formats. :wink:
I should have remembered! Thank you for taking an interest in this project.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Looks like your MW is all set up. We can hang around here for a little while to hopefully pick up a DPL. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 18th, 2020, 10:27 pm Looks like your MW is all set up. We can hang around here for a little while to hopefully pick up a DPL. :)
Great! Thank you!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sections 2 and 3 uploaded.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kevin, let me just double check with you. You did intend to open this as a group project, right? Or did you mean it to be a solo?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 20th, 2020, 1:10 pm Kevin, let me just double check with you. You did intend to open this as a group project, right? Or did you mean it to be a solo?
I thought I would go slowly with it so it doesn't linger, but I warmly welcome other readers.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, thank you for confirming. Three sections in two days is fairly speedy in my estimation, but then, I'm at work all day. (Yes, even in COVID.)

I'd say we're in no danger of lingering just yet, especially since there's still no DPL and we haven't left the Launch Pad. I'll move it over on Wednesday or so if we're still waiting. Just don't lose sight of your other claims that have been waiting. :wink:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sounds like a great project. I'd like to DPL, especially if you do it as a solo. :P
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm Sounds like a great project. I'd like to DPL, especially if you do it as a solo. :P
Okay, you convinced me. We can get this done this month and add to the great total LV is racking up for the month of April.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: April 20th, 2020, 1:21 pm Ok, thank you for confirming. Three sections in two days is fairly speedy in my estimation, but then, I'm at work all day. (Yes, even in COVID.)

I'd say we're in no danger of lingering just yet, especially since there's still no DPL and we haven't left the Launch Pad. I'll move it over on Wednesday or so if we're still waiting. Just don't lose sight of your other claims that have been waiting. :wink:
I'm sorry to appear so undecided, but do you mind if we shift this to a solo project?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, it's not too late to do that. Go ahead and assign the remaining sections to yourself, and as soon as I can, I will move us to Going Solo.