COMPLETE (group) The Myths and Fables of To-Day by Samuel Adams Drake-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Signature: KATHLEEN
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

marcedo wrote: April 16th, 2020, 2:05 pm
adr6090 wrote: April 12th, 2020, 7:10 pm
marcedo wrote: April 11th, 2020, 7:33 am
J.R. Marcedo, thank you!
Hello,
I have to admit that your reader name is in as marcedo & I do hope that is alright with you?
yes its okay, thank you
:thumbs:
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Thank you!!
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
xxrush2112

Post by xxrush2112 »

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Nicely read. PL OK.
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Hello Katherine,

Nicely read. You have a very calming voice. PL OK.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

THANK YOU.
Signature: KATHLEEN
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Hello April,

I have Section IX, "Of Evil Omens."
I am marking up the text, and so far I have 2 questions:

(1) Re. what appears to be an editorial note by our smart-alecky author...
The following is a quoted passage from a public announcement, perhaps a local newspaper:
From the same state, Pennsylvania, comes this highly significant announcement in regard to a base-ball team: "Because the team left here on a very rainy day, and on a train that pulled out from track No. 13, the superstitious local fans (sic) are in a sad state of mind to-night, regarding the coincidence as an evil omen."
Does the author mean to say that the word "fans" is wrong?
Supposedly "fan" is a shortening of "fanatic," so maybe the author is sneering at what he considers lowbrow talk.
I can't tell either way; but the word seems fine to me.
But regardless, should I actually say "sic" -- or can I ignore it?

(2) Re. pronunciation of names...
There are various names (people and places) in the text that are from Spain, France, Afghanistan, etc.
Generally, I'm no good at accents, but with names, I do try to pronounce them with the respective "native" accents.
The following is from a paragraph quoting a French woman who, in speaking to a French man, talks about people who attended a dinner party:
"Do you recollect the dinner we had at the house of Victor Hugo? There were thirteen of us,—Hugo and his wife, you and your wife, Rebecca and I, Girardin and his wife, Gerard de Nerval, Pradier, Alfred de Musset, Perrèe, of the Siècle, and the Count d’Orsay, thirteen in all."
I can pretty much pronounce the names per se, but the word "Count" would be "Comte" in French.
In this context, it makes more sense to me to say "Comte" in French than "Count" in English.
WDYT?

Thanks very much...LJB :hmm:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

maxgal wrote: April 19th, 2020, 1:33 pm Hello April,

I have Section IX, "Of Evil Omens."
I am marking up the text, and so far I have 2 questions:

(1) Re. what appears to be an editorial note by our smart-alecky author...
The following is a quoted passage from a public announcement, perhaps a local newspaper:
From the same state, Pennsylvania, comes this highly significant announcement in regard to a base-ball team: "Because the team left here on a very rainy day, and on a train that pulled out from track No. 13, the superstitious local fans (sic) are in a sad state of mind to-night, regarding the coincidence as an evil omen."
Does the author mean to say that the word "fans" is wrong?
Supposedly "fan" is a shortening of "fanatic," so maybe the author is sneering at what he considers lowbrow talk.
I can't tell either way; but the word seems fine to me.
But regardless, should I actually say "sic" -- or can I ignore it?

(2) Re. pronunciation of names...
There are various names (people and places) in the text that are from Spain, France, Afghanistan, etc.
Generally, I'm no good at accents, but with names, I do try to pronounce them with the respective "native" accents.
The following is from a paragraph quoting a French woman who, in speaking to a French man, talks about people who attended a dinner party:
"Do you recollect the dinner we had at the house of Victor Hugo? There were thirteen of us,—Hugo and his wife, you and your wife, Rebecca and I, Girardin and his wife, Gerard de Nerval, Pradier, Alfred de Musset, Perrèe, of the Siècle, and the Count d’Orsay, thirteen in all."
I can pretty much pronounce the names per se, but the word "Count" would be "Comte" in French.
In this context, it makes more sense to me to say "Comte" in French than "Count" in English.
WDYT?

Thanks very much...LJB :hmm:
Hello to you, you appear to be quite conscientious in your regard of your questions to me. Here are my thoughts.

I looked up the definition of sic as I had no idea just what the word meant. This is the definition that I found:

"used in brackets after a copied or quoted word that appears odd or erroneous to show that the word is quoted exactly as it stands in the original"

Going with that definition You do not need to actually say the word sic. I think most people would just become confused by that word anyhow, not knowing what it meant.

In order to have this flow smoothly please do pronounce the word Count in French as you have mentioned.

Thank you so much for paying attention to the details. :)
April
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Yes, "sic" is used to show that the writer is quoting exactly what was said or written by another; some writers use it disparagingly, as a way to show off their own "superior" knowledge, as if to say, "Well, I know this person used the word the wrong way, or used the wrong word altogether, and I myself would never be so ignorant...." -- I wouldn't be surprised if Drake was doing this; he is something of a smart aleck. :twisted:

And merci beaucoup for approving of "Comte" ... :mrgreen:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

maxgal wrote: April 19th, 2020, 4:00 pm Yes, "sic" is used to show that the writer is quoting exactly what was said or written by another; some writers use it disparagingly, as a way to show off their own "superior" knowledge, as if to say, "Well, I know this person used the word the wrong way, or used the wrong word altogether, and I myself would never be so ignorant...." -- I wouldn't be surprised if Drake was doing this; he is something of a smart aleck. :twisted:

And merci beaucoup for approving of "Comte" ... :mrgreen:
:thumbs:
April
xxrush2112

Post by xxrush2112 »

xxrush2112 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:05 am Section 10 recording (27:06)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mythsandfables_10_drake_128kb.mp3
Bumping for visibility. Just want to be sure this was seen. :D
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

xxrush2112 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 6:19 am
xxrush2112 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:05 am Section 10 recording (27:06)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mythsandfables_10_drake_128kb.mp3
Bumping for visibility. Just want to be sure this was seen. :D
Thank you it is now in the mw. :D
best of,
April