COMPLETE (Religion) Mountains in the Mist, FW Boreham (d. 1959)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you for this recording. I need to confirm, though, did you combine both of the sections together into one recording? If so, I need you to split them, make sure that each one has the appropriate beginning and ending, and then re-upload. Each section in the MW needs to have its own file. Lumping them together like this will cause major problems down the road. If you're still getting used to editing in Audacity, you may find this video helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be Let me know if you need some help! :)
Billium113

Post by Billium113 »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Billium113 wrote: April 18th, 2020, 3:28 am Hi, I reclipped it. I apologize for the big emotional spikes. I think de-amplifying it should do the trick.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_17_boreham_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_16_boreham_128kb.mp3
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you, this looks better! You forgot to include the running time this time, but I went and found it for you. :wink: Pretty soon it will be second nature.

These are in the MW and waiting for PL. Larry will be around sooner or later to let you know if anything requires edits.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And, speaking of Larry, his section 1 is totally PL ok! :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kleungcanada wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm Section 15 has been uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_15_boreham_128kb.mp3

Duration: 16 min 50 sec
Thank you for a very nice reading!
PL OK.

(Feel free to take another section :wink:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Billium113 wrote: April 18th, 2020, 3:28 am Hi, I reclipped it. I apologize for the big emotional spikes. I think de-amplifying it should do the trick.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_16_boreham_128kb.mp3

Well, thank you for your effort on this section.
There are, however, a number of issues that need attention.

First, as you allude above, there is a problem with the volume. Those high spikes on the song and poem are just too much out of range. You can deamp them probably 4-5 dB to bring them in range. But, of greater concern are your intro and outro, expecially the outro. The volume on these is so low as to be barely audible.

Also,. you should try to follow the standard format for the intro:

"Part [number], Chapter [number] of Mountains in the Mist. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Mountains in the Mist, by Frank W. Boreham. [Chapter title]"

The author's name was omitted.

Then, as to the reading itself -- there are many hesitations and errors throughout. Below I highlight just the most important ones that I think need correction.

So you will need to work on this quite a bit.
When doing so, it is wise to start at the back of the recording and work toward the front so that the time stamps will match the notes. Upload the corrected file under the same name and with the NEW file length to the forum.

- I would suggest also going over the next section to look for these kinds of errors and submitting a new file so that I don't have to spend hours pointing out things that should already be edited.

====

0:35 Text: “drawn out agony of those dreadful days” I hear just, “drawn out agony of those days”
Followed by a pause and a blip
0:51 pause and blip another pause and slight stumble:
2:48 Text: “when poor Eliza was escaping with her child from slavery” I hear: “when poor Eliza . . . with her child from slavery” (missing “was escaping”)
3:08 Text: “but with womanly foresight” I hear: “but with manly foresight”
3:51 Text: “golden ball” I hear, “golden apple”
4:17 Stumble “ bra – branches”
5:49 Text: “the first twinkling of lights of the city that we sought.” I hear only, “the first twinkling of twinkling of a city.”
5:55 stumble “it – it”
6:28 – 6:34 Text: “I have just been reading Mr. Campbell N. Moody’s Saints in Formosa”
Several stumbles in this phrase, and do not read the initial “N.” as “N DOT” just “N”
7:34 Text: “or even the sight of a Christian church building” I hear, “or even the sight of a Christian building (hesitation) church.
7:46-50 long pause and blip
8:04 stumble “mar-mariners” followed by repeat “berries on it, berries on it”
8:19 long pause between words
8:28 Text: “Jowett” I hear something like “Jolly”
10:01 LOUD bang
11:54 stumble on “conscientiousness”
~ Larry
Billium113

Post by Billium113 »

Billium113

Post by Billium113 »

I cant see anything wrong with 17
so pls check that too
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Billium113 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 3:22 am I cant see anything wrong with 17
so pls check that too
I'll check these out as soon as I can.
Thanks.
~ Larry
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

May I have sections 19 through 23 please?

Laurence
jimironforge

Post by jimironforge »

May I record section 27 "Mount Disappointment" pg 254-264, please?
- Jim Sill
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Jim, and welcome! I'd be happy to reserve this section for you. How would you like to be credited in our catalogue? It can be your real name, screen name, or whatever else you'd like.

Before you get started on this, though, please complete your 1-minute test. Instructions for this are in the welcome email you received or in the wiki (link at the top of each page). The test is to make sure all your tech settings are in place before you start in on a longer recording. :)

One last thing you may want to note: I noticed in your introduction post that you are looking for "constructive support." If by this, you mean constructive criticism, you'll need to make sure that your PLer (proof listener) knows that you want that feedback. We have a strict "no un-asked-for criticism" rule here, so you won't get that feedback unless you ask for it.

Let me know once your test is approved, and please ask if you have any questions. We are a friendly bunch! :D
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

laurencetrask wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:04 pm Here is section 9. It is 13:52 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mountainsinthemist_09_boreham_128kb.mp3

Laurence
Laurence, it looks like you meant section 19. This recording starts out "Part 2, chapter 9." You already submitted section 9 (Part 1, chapter 8), which had a run time of 18:00. Be careful of these file names, as section 9 has now been overwritten. It's not lost, never fear. But MaryAnn or I will have to straighten out the file names. Don't reupload with the correct section number just yet, but wait to see if Larry has some PL notes for you. Thanks! :)
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

Oh dear, sorry about that....yes, I will wait to upload, thank you....

Laurence