A Recent Entry from South Carolina

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Hi all.
I joined about two weeks ago, but I was so intent on jumping in and recording I didn't get around to looking at this topic until now. It appears the etiquette is to say "hi", so here I am.

I'm another of the volunteers netted by the spot on National Public Radio. It pays to be heard in other media!

I've already worked on several projects and "met" a number of people. What a great place this is! I can be in a Shakespearean play and not even have to go to rehearsals!

I love to read, especially for children. I think you'll be seeing me a lot!

Mark Smith / Kaffen
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Mark! I guess you're up pretty late. It's nice to have you aboard, and I'm glad you've already gotten started. Well if you have any other questions just let us know!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Glad you said hello, Mark! You know that you and I are going to be come neighbors later this year; I'm moving up to the Spartanburg area.

Good to have you here - it's always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Hiya Mark!

*Waves*

South Carolina- beautiful place. I was only there after Hugo hit, so it was bittersweet. Would like to go back some time under happier circumstances.

Glad I'm not the only newbie around here. Nice to have company through the learning process!
vee

Post by vee »

Chip you're moving?
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
kri

Post by kri »

Kaffen wrote:Hi all.
I joined about two weeks ago, but I was so intent on jumping in and recording I didn't get around to looking at this topic until now. It appears the etiquette is to say "hi", so here I am.
You know I just realized that I never introduced myself in this forum. Ahh well! I think most know of me pretty well by now :)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

vee wrote:Chip you're moving?
Yep, the place I live is being fought over by developers who want to put up a professional/retail plaza. They're currently dealing with the local zoning board. But I own 2.5 acres and there'll be enough money for me to pay off my debts, buy a house outright, and have some left over on which to retire. All I have to do is wait for them to settle things out.

This July it'll be a year since this started. I can wait; the minute I get impatient is the minute the price goes down...
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

does that mean you can now spend 22 hrs a day on LV instead of 20? :)
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

ChipDoc wrote: But I own 2.5 acres and there'll be enough money for me to pay off my debts, buy a house outright, and have some left over on which to retire. All I have to do is wait for them to settle things out.
Gotta love the market when you're on top of it. I sold a building lot I'd been keeping to build my retirement house on, because the area is already so built up I no longer want to live there. Ironically, it fetched enough to let ME retire early!

Wahoo! :D
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Ahhh, very cool! Did you move to SC at that point or were you already there? I moved to Florida right after my undergrad degree and have been here ever since. 25 years next week.

But though it's lovely living in a tropical paradise, I'm getting tired of all the flat and straight topography and the endless summer. I'm not ready to move to the frigid northlands, so the piedmond seemed a good bet. I really like the Spartanburg area - it's big enough to have everything, yet not yet overgrown.

I've got Shelia the Realtor who keeps sending me links to nice places to buy - all of which are well within my range - but I can't do anything until this place sells. It's a bit frustrating at times, but it's all in a good cause. I could stand to retire a bit while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

And I'm actually planning on spending 40 or 50 hours a day here at LibriVox at that point... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Sadie wrote:Hiya Mark!

*Waves*

South Carolina- beautiful place. I was only there after Hugo hit, so it was bittersweet. Would like to go back some time under happier circumstances.

Glad I'm not the only newbie around here. Nice to have company through the learning process!
*Waves back*

I got hit by Hurrican Hugo, lost 39 trees around my house.
But, hey, we get earthquakes here, too!

Mark
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

ChipDoc wrote:Ahhh, very cool! Did you move to SC at that point or were you already there? I moved to Florida right after my undergrad degree and have been here ever since. 25 years next week.
Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! April will mark 16 years here for me. I retired last October. Actually, I'm planning a move too. When my son graduates HS in two years, we're pulling stakes and moving back to Virginia to be near family.