COMPLETE [HISTORY] The Red Reign: The True Story of an Adventurous Year in Russia, by Kellogg Durland-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

v323838 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:41 am Hello, I would like to sign up to read sections 31 and 32. Thank you. Michael

Hello, and Welcome to LibriVox!

I will very happily reserve those sections for a week for you, but before you do the recording, can you do the 1-Minute Test and post the file to the Listeners & Editors Wanted board? It's not actually a test or audition of any kind, but is solely meant to make sure your system is set properly before you do all the work of a real section.

Here is the link: 1-Minute Test

That page contains a link for using Audacity, if that's the software you're recording with: Audacity 1-2-3

Each of these pages has specific step-by-step help for getting everything set up the way our files need to be done for the Archive. And if something is going whacky, Listeners & Editors is the board where folks will offer help. :)

Also, I will need to know what name you want to be used to create your Catalog Reader Page. This is the page the public will see when they link to you from audiobooks or look you up directly in the Catalog. Some folks use their real name, some use their forum work name (this one here), and others make up a psuedonym.

Glad to have you with us!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
v323838

Post by v323838 »

Hello, cancel my request for sections 31 and 32 for now. I am going to start off doing some proof listening.
ecr24

Post by ecr24 »

cmiller27 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 10:04 pm And here's section 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_04_durland_128kb.mp3 (13:51)

Hi there,

I just proof-listened to your recording for this section. There's a little bit of distortion throughout- is there any way that you could check and/or change the volume level on your recording please, as I think this is what is causing it to happen?

Thank you :)
ecr24

Post by ecr24 »

LCaulkins wrote: April 11th, 2020, 9:03 am
ecr24 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:26 am
Thank you for making me a DPL for this project :)

I saw on the catalog that some sections were ready to go for proof-listening- would you like me to start on those?
Sure! I had intended to do them myself, and then our county begged for sewists to make 6000 masks from their pattern, as they could only source medical grade filters for all our first responders. So I've been mostly working on those these days.

Just dive right in - you can work from top to bottom for all the "Ready for PL" sections.

If you notice something that needs to be fixed, like the way the intro was done, or a repeated phrase, jot down the time stamp of where it occurs so you can leave a note for the reader of what needs to be edited. I've found it works best to find the post where the reader put that section's link up and quote the post, so that the reader gets a notification and they see the PL notes for their section very easily.

Don't forget to run the section through Checker so you know if it has any technical issues. Sometimes a setting can get bumped on the recording software, and even experienced readers might accidentally submit a file that has a wrong spec, or the volume is outside of our range.

For me, I do find it much better to download the section and PL it with it open in my Audacity (rather than just playing it straight from the Magic Window link), so I can zoom in to the point where I can easily see the half-seconds marks if I need to give someone a time stamp. Then I delete the file from my computer when I've listened to it.

Don't worry about accents or pronunciations that are different from what you're used to. We don't care about style, pacing, etc., unless a reader specifically asks us for feedback about things like that. I have found that most readers appreciate being told about things like a sudden extreme change in volume that makes you adjust your controls.

We do list repeats, omited portions, super long pauses (like 3 or 4 seconds). I noted in the recording directions that we're not reading the little table of contents at the beginning of each chapter, so if someone reads those in, note the time of beginning/ending, and ask them to remove it.

After you have listened to a section, you get to change the designation for that section to either "PL OK" or "see PL Notes". If any edits were necessary, when a reader posts the fixed file, I'll put that in the MW and mark it "Read for Spot PL". You won't need to listen to that entire section again - just go to the relevant time points and listen for the correction area. :)

Thanks again for helping. Ask any questions if I've left you confused - here or in a PM. (Oh, by the way, the white scrolling portion inside the first post of a project is called the "Magic Window" or MW - the Catalog is the permanent public listing of all our audiobooks and readers.)

I've just finished proof-listening to a section, but can't seem to find the Checker that you mentioned in your last message. Am I just being really stupid or do I need to go to a different page? :lol: Thank you :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ecr24 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:07 pm
I've just finished proof-listening to a section, but can't seem to find the Checker that you mentioned in your last message. Am I just being really stupid or do I need to go to a different page? :lol: Thank you :D
This link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker :) It's a free app that's quite handy for LibriVox work. When I record a section, I can always check it before I upload the file, and make changes to the volume up front if I need to (or fix a spec if I've accidentally bumped something somewhere). And when I'm PL'ing, I *always* check the file when I open it to have a listen.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Sections 29 and 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_29_durland_128kb.mp3
20:53

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_30_durland_128kb.mp3
21:35

Also, please feel free to assign me more chapters! This book is a real eye-opener
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

RitaBoutros wrote: April 14th, 2020, 7:23 am Sections 29 and 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_29_durland_128kb.mp3
20:53

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_30_durland_128kb.mp3
21:35

Also, please feel free to assign me more chapters! This book is a real eye-opener
Thanks, Rita! They're loaded for PL, and I've assigned 33 and 34 for you :)

Yes, it's definitely thought-provoking.
~Lynette * -
lbenyamine

Post by lbenyamine »

I'd like to PL a few chapters!
Lamia
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

lbenyamine wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:27 am I'd like to PL a few chapters!
Lamia
Thank you for this offer, Lamia. We do have a DPL now, but let's see if she'd like help? She walked into this project with several sections ready to proof. :)

By the way, if you scroll up to where I gave her the link to getting the free Checker tool, you'll want that app on board for PL work. (If you don't already have it installed)
~Lynette * -
ecr24

Post by ecr24 »

LCaulkins wrote: April 15th, 2020, 6:13 pm
lbenyamine wrote: April 15th, 2020, 10:27 am I'd like to PL a few chapters!
Lamia
Thank you for this offer, Lamia. We do have a DPL now, but let's see if she'd like help? She walked into this project with several sections ready to proof. :)

By the way, if you scroll up to where I gave her the link to getting the free Checker tool, you'll want that app on board for PL work. (If you don't already have it installed)

I don't need help specifically with this, but I'm very happy for you to PL some chapters if you would be interested in this Lamia? I'm aware that there are quite a few chapters to get through, so please don't feel like you have to do every single one! Three or four would be perfect :)
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

I don't want to nag at such a difficult time for everyone, but I put up section 39 some time ago, and it isn't in the MW yet. Should I have another go at uploading it?
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

PatrickLondon wrote: April 16th, 2020, 9:11 am I don't want to nag at such a difficult time for everyone, but I put up section 39 some time ago, and it isn't in the MW yet. Should I have another go at uploading it?
Not nagging! Sometimes notifications get weird, and sometimes posts get overlooked because several came in together between notifications - I do try to back-peddle each morning/evening when I check my projects, but it's not a perfect scoop every time. :(

I would say that if you've posted an upload, and 3 days have gone by without the BC seeing and loading it into the MW, it's perfectly fine to post again making sure it was seen! I'll go find it right now - so sorry about missing it.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

PatrickLondon wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:50 am Section 39 is up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_39_durland_128kb.mp3

Duration 20:10
Now loaded for PL. Thanks for pointing it out, Patrick!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

v323838 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:09 am Hello, cancel my request for sections 31 and 32 for now. I am going to start off doing some proof listening.
Thanks for letting us know. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ecr24 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:03 pm
cmiller27 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 10:04 pm And here's section 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redreign_04_durland_128kb.mp3 (13:51)

Hi there,

I just proof-listened to your recording for this section. There's a little bit of distortion throughout- is there any way that you could check and/or change the volume level on your recording please, as I think this is what is causing it to happen?

Thank you :)
Another possibility is that Noise Reduction was set a wee bit too high. This section is fine to use as it is, as the words are fully understandable, but a good note for fine-tuning future sections. :)
~Lynette * -