COMPLETE: The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924). Translated by Ian Johnston (1938 - alive)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-metamorphosis-version-5-by-franz-kafka/

Gregor Samsa is a young salesman who lives at home with his parents and sister. His life is completely normal... until he wakes up to find that he has been transformed into a hideous insect. (Summary by cadastra)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.kafka.org/index.php?id=162,170,0,0,1,0
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction; Literary Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: classic, Kafka, Metamorphosis, Insect, Transformation

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Metamorphosis. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. Translated by Ian Johnston[Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. Translated by Ian Johnston"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      metamorphosis_##_kafka_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. metamorphosis_01_kafka_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Franz Kafka
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Metamorphosis

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo - knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below.
Last edited by cadastra on May 18th, 2020, 5:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I am adopting The Metamorphosis, abandoned July 2019, as a group project. The original project thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69854. I am not sure which version of the text the original reader was using, as the link to the text no longer works and the project thread has been moved off the general forum. Thus, the text I linked to above is the text that has been used for previous recordings of The Metamorphosis.

I will DPL.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I doubt if the source to which you now point will be acceptable. It is a recent translation with a condition that makes a LibriVox recording unlikely.

What was the source which is not now available?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The kafka.org source is OK. It's what is used in the 4 other versions on LV.

The original soloist used the Johnston translation also.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

KevinS wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:29 am I doubt if the source to which you now point will be acceptable. It is a recent translation with a condition that makes a LibriVox recording unlikely.

As Tricia says, the kafka.org source has been used for previous projects. In the past, LibriVox gained express permission from the translator (Ian Johnston) to record the translation. The kafka.org source states that the translation has been released into the public domain.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

TriciaG wrote: April 12th, 2020, 10:03 am The kafka.org source is OK. It's what is used in the 4 other versions on LV.

The original soloist used the Johnston translation also.
Thank you, Tricia!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

cadastra wrote: April 12th, 2020, 10:32 am
KevinS wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:29 am I doubt if the source to which you now point will be acceptable. It is a recent translation with a condition that makes a LibriVox recording unlikely.

As Tricia says, the kafka.org source has been used for previous projects. In the past, LibriVox gained express permission from the translator (Ian Johnston) to record the translation. The kafka.org source states that the translation has been released into the public domain.
That's nice to see, though I don't understand the argument.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi cadastra. I've updated database for this project and added the original MW to the top post here. I was the original MC so I will continue as MC for you.

I know you have been DPL for other projects so you already have access to the workflow system. Here are some links to detailed instructions for entering and editing information in the section compiler if you need them.

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

The file from the original soloist will need to be PL'd. If you have any questions, let me know.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter 1 is quite well done, but has a few longer periods of silence than might be desired. There is a repetition at 32:52 that needs fixing and the period of silence at the close could be shortened by 2 seconds.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thanks so much, Kevin! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen! I did take note of those silences when I listened earlier, so I will edit them out. Thanks again.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

cadastra wrote: April 12th, 2020, 9:03 pm Thanks so much, Kevin! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen! I did take note of those silences when I listened earlier, so I will edit them out. Thanks again.
My pleasure!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

May I please read Section 2?

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

pnagami wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:43 am May I please read Section 2?

My best,

Pam
Yes, you certainly may.
ggatchel

Post by ggatchel »

I'd love to do Section 3- I love this book!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

ggatchel wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:41 am I'd love to do Section 3- I love this book!
Welcome to LibriVox! Before you begin recording for a project, we ask that you complete a 1-Minute Test using the correct technical specifications, upload the recording to the tests folder, and post the link in Listeners and Editors Wanted, where an experienced LibriVox narrator will check the file. This is not an audition - we just don't want you to spend exorbitant amounts of time recording at the wrong volume, etc. Detailed instructions regarding the 1-Minute Test can be found in the LibriVox wiki here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test Once your 1-Minute Test has been approved, you are welcome to record Section 3. I will reserve it for you in the Magic Window. What name or pseudonym would you like to appear in the LibriVox catalog? We can also link to a personal website or blog.

Thanks so much. Please let me know if you have any questions.