Gutenberg in Germany

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Billium113

Post by Billium113 »

Hi, I am new here at Librivox. I am just about to claim a section, but it seems that I can not access Gutenberg for my eBook. Should I ask someone to screenshot my part or should I...?
Thx to anyone who tries to help :clap:
schrm

Post by schrm »

Billium113 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 9:50 am Hi, I am new here at Librivox. I am just about to claim a section, but it seems that I can not access Gutenberg for my eBook. Should I ask someone to screenshot my part or should I...?
hi,
sprichst du deutsch? hier ist das non-english hilfeforum: viewforum.php?f=38

gutenberg closed access from germany in general - there was a lawsuit about copyrights with a publisher.
they lost, despite gutenberg having the servers in the us. and gutenberg decided to not only close the german version of gutenberg, but deny acces for all ip's from this country.
so, if you are travelling through, it should work after connecting to the internets on the other side of the border.

there are workarounds (including the one you posted) which make it possible to download books from gutenberg - but you have to be sure, that you don't break german/eu laws.

i suggest to ask in the project thread or post the book/section here, so others can help!

cheers and greetings from tyrol,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Billium113 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 9:50 am Hi, I am new here at Librivox. I am just about to claim a section, but it seems that I can not access Gutenberg for my eBook. Should I ask someone to screenshot my part or should I...?
Here is another source for the same edition: https://archive.org/details/empressesrome00mccagoog/page/n13/mode/2up

I assume this is the book about which you speak.
Billium113

Post by Billium113 »

Thank you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D
schrm

Post by schrm »

just as a warning, since you are in germany:
Joseph McCabe died 1955 - this book is not pd within eu and your ip can be identified. you can be sued for reading/downloading the book.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275