[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 11: Canada, South and Central America, Mexico, West Indies - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sphinxofblackquartz wrote: April 8th, 2020, 12:53 pm I am new to Librivox and this will be my first reading. I already completed my 1 minute test. I'd like to appear under the name "Albert Shu."
I'd like to claim section 6 to start with.
Hello Albert and welcome to this project. Always thrilled to hear new readers. I see you already passed your test, so you are ready to roll.

As you are new to the whole thing, please read carefully through the first two posts, there are all the details on how to read the intro/outro, how to deal with footnotes and how to name the file.

Section 6 is reserved for you, and here is your brand-new reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14061
you can see all your projects in which you participate listed here in time

Have fun with your first section :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
sphinxofblackquartz

Post by sphinxofblackquartz »

Thanks, here's the recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume11_006_tappan_128kb.mp3

I hope I did everything right. I'll go ahead and claim section 25 too.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sphinxofblackquartz wrote: April 8th, 2020, 8:12 pmThanks, here's the recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume11_006_tappan_128kb.mp3
I hope I did everything right. I'll go ahead and claim section 25 too.
yes thank you, I'll sign you up. I will try to PL still today, but I'm a bit pressed for time right now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I had some more time and did listen to your section. First of all, beautiful narration, quite calm but interspersed with excited voices in the direct speeches to make it all more lively. :thumbs: Very nice, so I am happy to have you join this project and am already looking forward to your next section. Only please remember to mention the length of the section when you post the link, so I can update the Magic Window accordingly. :)

There are no textual errors as such, but I have a few notes concerning some lengthy pauses. Anything over 2 seconds feels long for a listener. I would suggest cutting to about 1.5 second maximum in the following passages. As a useful suggestion: start at the final PL note and work your way up to the beginning, that way the time stamps stay the same and you don't need to hunt for them ;)

> from 1:10-1:14: (p. 19) between "the editor" and "the miserable winter"
> from 2:32-2:35: (p. 20) between "an inch thick" and "toward spring"
> from 4:59-5:02: (p. 21) between "and privations" and "one night"
> from 6:40-6:43: (p. 22) between "to save his own neck" and "it was a black, windy night"
> from 9:48-9:50: (p. 23) between "the contents of the ship" and "the shallop was sighted"

The only text that needs to get corrected is the following:

> at 0:44: (p. 19) "note from the editor" - this can get cut, it's not a "footnote" as such. Just start with the text as written
> at 1:10: (p. 19) "end of note" - please read "the editor" here, as it is written here

And finally one convention:

> at 16:54: at the end we leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you have over 7 here, and could cut them down a bit

thank you, great start. All these edits are quite easily done. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask. It is not necessary (or recommended) to re-record anything in total. (mentioning this, because some new readers did just that and it's too much time wasted for all involved. Editing is preferred.)

Sonia
sphinxofblackquartz

Thank you for the compliment! I've made the necessary edits, so here's the new version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume11_006_tappan_128kbv2.mp3 (16:48)

I named it with a "v2" at the end because I wasn't sure if using the same name as a previous file would cause a problem. Please let me know if that's fine.

BTW, while looking through the "magic window" for sections, I noticed Section 17 is labeled as being 90 pages long. I wonder if that's why nobody's claimed it yet :) It's actually 6 pages.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sphinxofblackquartz wrote: April 9th, 2020, 1:07 pmI named it with a "v2" at the end because I wasn't sure if using the same name as a previous file would cause a problem. Please let me know if that's fine.
no, actually the files NEED to have the same standard name each time, otherwise there will be a problem :lol: the new file will replace the old one in the MW only if the name is exactly the same.
BTW, while looking through the "magic window" for sections, I noticed Section 17 is labeled as being 90 pages long. I wonder if that's why nobody's claimed it yet :) It's actually 6 pages.
:oops: whoops, a typo on my side...will change it. Thanks.

Will check your section now...if all is correct, no need to reupload, I can change the file name in my folder then. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sphinxofblackquartz wrote: April 9th, 2020, 1:07 pm I've made the necessary edits, so here's the new version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume11_006_tappan_128kbv2.mp3 (16:48)
:thumbs: yep, excellent edits, and now PL ok. Congrats, your first official section is in the box. Plenty more to come hopefully 8-)

Thank you

Sonia
alzounes

Post by alzounes »

Hello, I would like to read section 98, "Happy Little Costa Rica." This is my first reading: please list me as alzounes. Thank you!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I just realized I missed section 42 in my original list. May I have it as well?
Jo
sphinxofblackquartz

oops, sorry about the naming.

Here's section 25: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume11_025_tappan_128kb.mp3 (14:48)

I'd like to claim sections 23, 70, and 71 next.
matt4312

Post by matt4312 »

Hi Sonia,

I'd be keen to take on section 15.

Thanks

Matt
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alzounes wrote: April 9th, 2020, 2:58 pmHello, I would like to read section 98, "Happy Little Costa Rica." This is my first reading: please list me as alzounes. Thank you!
Hi Amy and welcome to the forum and especially to the World Story project :D

I can unofficially reserve you section 98 for the time being, but before you start recording, I would strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the section officially.

For the moment, I will reserve the sections for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test and see you soon :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 9th, 2020, 5:08 pm I just realized I missed section 42 in my original list. May I have it as well?
yes sure :) thank you Jo

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sphinxofblackquartz wrote: April 9th, 2020, 7:55 pm I'd like to claim sections 23, 70, and 71 next.
you are courageous, two of them are the longest sections in this project. But I'll reserve them for you, thank you for tackling them. Will try to PL your latest section today still...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

matt4312 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:17 pm I'd be keen to take on section 15.
hi again Matt, I just checked your test and gave you some feedback :) I will reserve you the section 15 but I need to open a brand-new reader page for you, could you tell me what reader name you want to go by ? Can be real name, forum name or any other pseudonym. Just let me know.

Then, since you are new to this project, please read carefully through the first two posts. There are all the details on how to say the intro (long or short) and the title of the section, how to correctly name the files and how to deal with footnotes specifically in this project.

Have fun with your first section and thanks for claiming :)

Sonia