[COMPLETE] [DramReading] The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

julianpratley wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:30 pm Here are my first three chapters. I've never done a DR before so please let me know if I need to do anything differently. I tried to do a stage whisper in chapter 5 when Peter is whispering - is that correct or is it better to just read it normally? Also I'm very much not a voice actor, so any and all CC would be appreciated. :D
Thanks, Julian! I'll take a listen.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

benderca wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:08 am

Thanks, Jenn! I fixed those two links. I meant to check all those links. I was doing a lot of uploading, cutting, and pasting at 4 in the morning in an effort to get these files up so that people could start recording. You're probably going to find other mistakes as well... :D I'll fix them as quickly as I can.
Thanks again!
Got them, thanks! I can’t imagine how much works it takes to coordinate a project like this! It makes my head hurt just thinking about it :shock:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

~Kim
Michael6230

Post by Michael6230 »

benderca wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:07 pm
Michael6230 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 12:04 pm
benderca wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:10 am

Thanks, Michael! You can interpret the character as you like. I'm going to try to be a 13-year-old boy as well, so maybe Bev's voice hasn't started to change, but Dan's has... :lol: (It did say that Bev is on the smaller side -- so much so that he tries to buy a magic growth potion -- and I pictured Dan as being bigger, so that should work out fine).
Awesome. No problemo. Look forward to recording tonight :) Any accent as well right i.e. American, British? :)
The story takes place on Prince Edward Island in Canada about 100 years ago. Dan comes from a well-educated family (as opposed to Peter). Montgomery, herself, grew up in a Scottish-Canadian family... so your guess is as good as mine as to how they spoke. Since you have to maintain the character over 32 chapters, I recommend choosing a voice and accent that you find comfortable working with over a long period of time. It doesn't, in my humble opinion, bother the flow of the story at all if brothers and sisters have different accents. It just adds flavor :lol:
Haha okay. Thanks for the info.
benderca

Post by benderca »

NemoR wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:21 pm Mr Campbell for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storygirl_mrcampbell_07_128kb.mp3

2:36
Thanks, Nemo!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Thanks, Kim!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 7:13 am uncle Alec chapter 12

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storygirl_unclealec_12_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Alan!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Hi Kim!

Thanks for reading the part of Mrs. Ray. There are a couple of problems with your recording settings.

The bitrate should be 128 kbps and the recording should have a constant bitrate rather than a variable bitrate (VBR) - your recording is 122kbps (variable).

Also the volume at 80.2 is too soft and fall outside the target range of 86-92 dB.

The best strategy would be to download the Librivox Checker and drag your file into its window to see if your settings are correct:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Very nice reading!
Last edited by benderca on March 13th, 2021, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:23 am Uncle Alec chapter 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storygirl_unclealec_01_128kb.mp3

Just to get things started
Thanks, Alan! I love your voice for Uncle Alec.

I have a question, at 0:24 you changed the line from "It's a wonder the Story Girl isn't over to see you," to "It's a wonder the Story Girl ain't over to see you," - did you do that on purpose?

I usually don't worry about little things that don't change the meaning of the sentence and this definitely does not, only it changes Uncle Alec from a more-educated-sounding speaker to a less-educated-sounding one, and I guess that's a judgement call. Did you see him that way? Since Felicity is always distinguishing herself from "the hired boy," Peter, who is less educated, I can't imagine the father of such a pompous character using "ain't". What do you think?
benderca

Post by benderca »

alanmapstone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 7:13 am uncle Alec chapter 12

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storygirl_unclealec_12_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Alan. Chapter 12 is PL OK. (It's a little quiet at 82.4, but I can work with that).
Thanks, TJ
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Woooohooo! A book by a fellow Canadian!

I'd be happy to be Uncle Roger, if that's not claimed yet.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

benderca wrote: April 4th, 2020, 3:13 pm
alanmapstone wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:23 am Uncle Alec chapter 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storygirl_unclealec_01_128kb.mp3

Just to get things started
Thanks, Alan! I love your voice for Uncle Alec.

I have a question, at 0:24 you changed the line from "It's a wonder the Story Girl isn't over to see you," to "It's a wonder the Story Girl ain't over to see you," - did you do that on purpose?

I usually don't worry about little things that don't change the meaning of the sentence and this definitely does not, only it changes Uncle Alec from a more-educated-sounding speaker to a less-educated-sounding one, and I guess that's a judgement call. Did you see him that way? Since Felicity is always distinguishing herself from "the hired boy," Peter, who is less educated, I can't imagine the father of such a pompous character using "ain't". What do you think?
I have never read this book and so was unaware of the family relationships. I am happy to take your suggestion and will revise the line. I will also bear it in mind for further chapters.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan