[COMPLETE]Ingersoll on WALT WHITMAN, from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll - ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Please may I be assigned Section 12 - Old Age?
This is a topic with which I am intimately familiar.
Last edited by williamjones on April 3rd, 2020, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm Section 2 is PL OK, and quite interesting even though not racy. Thank you.
I didn't know Epicurus came up with "Happiness is the only good". I thought it was Ingersoll! At least the Colonel completed it this way:

"Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so."
I think both Ingersoll and Epicurus (he was ahead of time, y'know :D ) copied off the paper of John Stuart Mill.
Last edited by williamjones on April 3rd, 2020, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Duplicate post - erased; not allowed to delete
Last edited by williamjones on April 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Amy, if I BC a project but don't read any of the sections, will that project come up in a search with my name? That doesn't happen with the MC, DPL or Cover maker.
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 7:34 am Please may I be assigned Section 12 - Old Age?
This is a topic with which I am intimately familiar.
Yes, thanks. You're in. Better hurry. :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

msfry wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 8:17 am Amy, if I BC a project but don't read any of the sections, will that project come up in a search with my name? That doesn't happen with the MC, DPL or Cover maker.
Hi Michele,
Only things that you read come up when you search the catalog. But if you want to see what you have done, in the Librivox Management Dashboard you look under the Project drop down My Projects and it will show which ones you BCd or read for. I'm not sure if there is some other option.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I searched for you in the Librivox Collection the Internet Archive and it came up with more things than the catalog does so it may be pulling up things you BCed without reading for.
266 projects in the archive, and 216 projects in the catalog.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=msfry
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Levine

Post by Levine »

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ingersollv3whitman_09_ingersoll_128kb.mp3
(4:05)

Section IX - Religion

ready for proof listening.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 9, Religion is PL OK. Love the statement that Whitman "does not believe that Nature has given her last message to man. He does not believe that all has been ascertained. He denies that any sect has written down the entire truth." I've felt that way all my life, and come to abjure the know-it-all.
msfry

Post by msfry »

alg1001 wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 5:33 pm I searched for you in the Librivox Collection the Internet Archive and it came up with more things than the catalog does so it may be pulling up things you BCed without reading for.
266 projects in the archive, and 216 projects in the catalog.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=msfry
Well that's a shame, for organizing and Bc'ing, and MC'ing, and DPL'ing, often takes longer and more effort than reading a file or two. I guess one has to read to be counted. :shock:
Last edited by msfry on April 4th, 2020, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 12 Old Age

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ingersollv3whitman_12_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 11:45

This was a challenge for me due to the substantial amount of Whitman quotations.
I've often felt that his poetry really isn't poetry, but should be called "elevated prose".
So, yesterday evening I said to myself: "Self, are there some recordings of Whitman reciting his own poetry?" And by gosh and by golly there are! Sadly they're taken from Edison wax cylinders, so there is terrible, oppressive background noise. Here's one of the better ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBX2L_Re5Cc

(One of my very first LV recordings was a Whitman poem, so don't call me a Whitman Hater.)
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 12
I would add quotes in these spots as without the text before me I couldn't tell when Ingersoll is quoting Whitman or speaking himself. They both elocute so similarly.
1:35 Quote
2:53 End Quote
3:28 Quote
4:00 End Quote
4:45 Quote
5:50 End Quote

Whitman's recording is interesting. Thanks for sharing. He speaks so slowly, weighing each word, hoping its import sinks in fully. Here's a video I found: 3 visual interpretations of Whitman's "A Noiseless Patient Spider" along with three readings. That was interesting too. This was an LV Poetry Weekly back in 2005. It's probably time for that one to be done again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCw8ydqkrg
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 is uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ingersollv3whitman_01_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 6:48

Brian, can you PL this for me?
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I'd like to claim sections 4 and 10, please.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ciufi wrote: April 4th, 2020, 11:41 am I'd like to claim sections 4 and 10, please.
Thank you. 4 and 10 are yours.