COMPLETE: Ormond by Maria Edgeworth -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

Ormond by Maria Edgeworth (1768 - 1849).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/ormond-by-maria-edgeworth/

Maria Edgeworth was one of the most popular writers of her time, a sharp and witty observer of society manners, and a favorite author for Jane Austen.

“Ormond,” published in 1817, is a “coming-of-age” novel, tracing a young man’s development as he approaches the age of majority. When we meet him, Harry Ormond has his “heart in the right place,” but is unsettled of character, naïve and impulsive. The central issue is: “What kind of man will he become?”

In part, Harry is influenced by the books he reads: Fielding’s “Tom Jones,” Richardson’s “Sir Charles Grandison,” and works of the French Enlightenment. More important, however, are influences from the company he keeps, much as Prince Hal in Shakespeare’s “Henry IV” takes shape in relation to the people around him. As an orphan, Harry had been adopted by Sir Ulick O’Shane, a man of society, full of subtlety and strategies, who exploits his public trust for private advantage (a practice known at that time as “jobbing”). Harry also spends time with Sir Ulick’s cousin Cornelius, a Falstaffian figure of hearty good cheer and eccentric rural lifestyle. (He enthrones himself on a tiny island in an Irish lake, calls himself “King of the Black Islands” and nicknames Ormond “Prince Harry.”) Later, Harry follows Cornelius’s daughter to Paris, where he witnesses the glamorous dissipation of French society in the years before the Revolution.

This novel explores the challenges of bringing together apparent oppositions: reconciling loyalty promised to others with assertion of self, Anglo-Irish landlords with their Irish tenants, Catholics with Protestants, and, above all, the impulsive heart with the rational head.

“Ormond” is named in the reference list “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.” (Summary by Bruce Pirie)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9107
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800–1900

Keywords that describe the book: 18th century, social class, Ireland, bildungsroman, coming-of-age, comedy of manners, France

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [#] of Ormond by Maria Edgeworth. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by Bruce Pirie. Ormond, Chapter [#]."

For the second and all subsequent sections, use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [#] of Ormond by Maria Edgeworth. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by Bruce Pirie.
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [#]."
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ormond by Maria Edgeworth."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ormond_##_edgeworth_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ormond_01_edgeworth_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Bruce,

I'll MC this for you. MW will be up shortly.
Jo
beeber

Post by beeber »

Great! Thanks very much.
Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

Looking for a DPL? Maybe me? :-)
Gavenports Reader Page
Aktuelles Solo-Projekt: in Vorbereitung 'Die Ahnen - Aus einer kleinen Stadt'
DPL: -
beeber

Post by beeber »

Gavenport wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:14 am Looking for a DPL? Maybe me?
Sure, that would be great. And, to get us started, Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

beeber wrote: April 1st, 2020, 3:47 pm
Gavenport wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:14 am Looking for a DPL? Maybe me?
Sure, that would be great. And, to get us started, Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
Bruce
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
But less than 0,5 sec is also not this good... ;-)
Some players will cut off the first words if there is not enough space.

But otherwise it's PL:OK :thumbs:
Gavenports Reader Page
beeber

Post by beeber »

...But less than 0,5 sec is also not this good...
Some players will cut off the first words if there is not enough space.
Danke sehr, Bernd! I admit, I've always been careless about that initial .5 second silence, but I've now re-uploaded Chapter 1 with a full half second of silence.

Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

Great - thanks! :D :clap:
Gavenports Reader Page
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 2 is ready for PL.
Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

beeber wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 6:30 pm Chapter 2 is ready for PL.
Bruce
PL:OK :thumbs:
Gavenports Reader Page
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 3 is ready for PL.

At a few spots, I've noticed that the Gutenberg text has little errors. When I suspect this, I always check and confirm it by going to the photo-scanned version of the text at archive.org.

This chapter has just a tiny flaw. Around 15:24, the Gutenberg text reads, "the patient sunk into a sound sleep." As I suspected, that should be, "the patient sank into a sound sleep."

Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

Ok - but if there are no strange meanings while listening I wouldn't recognize this. With standard PL I'm primary listening and read only some parts while listening. But if you want me to recognize text errors then I'll read always while listening (= word perfect PL).
Gavenports Reader Page
beeber

Post by beeber »

Gavenport wrote: April 4th, 2020, 5:17 am But if you want me to recognize text errors then I'll read always while listening.
No, it's fine to do standard proofing. I do a careful final listen myself, so there shouldn't be any total misreadings.

I've just become fastidious about the little errors because I've done a few books that were badly corrupt, and anyone who was trying to follow along would have had a rough ride, trying to compare what I was saying with the text in Gutenberg. (I keep a record of all the little errors, and at the end I send a complete list to Gutenberg.org, so they can correct the file.) This book is pretty good, although there are going to be a couple of places where the scanning process simply missed several lines.

So continue with the standard proofing, and I hope you enjoy.

Thanks,
Bruce
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

beeber wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 4:55 pm Chapter 3 is ready for PL.

At a few spots, I've noticed that the Gutenberg text has little errors. When I suspect this, I always check and confirm it by going to the photo-scanned version of the text at archive.org.

This chapter has just a tiny flaw. Around 15:24, the Gutenberg text reads, "the patient sunk into a sound sleep." As I suspected, that should be, "the patient sank into a sound sleep."

Bruce
PL:OK :thumbs:

Shame on me - as non-native I wouldn't had recognized the difference of sunk or sank. Both are past forms and would fit to the text in my ears. So I'm no help in 'grammar perfect listening' :-)
The photo scanned version says 'sank' and maybe it's just a misprinting in the tales-collection.
Gavenports Reader Page
beeber

Post by beeber »

Gavenport wrote: April 6th, 2020, 2:24 pm The photo scanned version says 'sank' and maybe it's just a misprinting in the tales-collection.
Well, of course, the Gutenberg text was generated by Optical Character Recognition, which always has some glitches. I guess the OCR was done straight off that photoscan, because there are a few places where 2 or 3 lines from the photo version have just disappeared, neatly sheared off exactly where the lines break in that version.

To spot things like that I have to pay close attention to the text, think about it, and notice when there's something that doesn't quite make sense. Then I check the photo version. For example, sometimes a conversation sounds wrong, as if someone's line of dialogue has gone missing. Of course, I may be missing other errors that slip by because they don't look wrong.

Bruce