(Complete) O. Henry Encore by O. Henry -m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

O. Henry Encore by O. Henry (1862 - 1910).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/o-henry-encore-by-o-henry/
These 45 early stories, sketches and poems by the famed O. Henry, nearly all published under the pseudonym of the "Post Man", were discovered in the files of the Houston Post, 1895-1896, by Mary Sunlocks Harrell while she was conducting research in 1934-35 for her M.A. degree at the University of Texas. These writings were published just before O. Henry, or Will Porter as he was known at that time, fled to Honduras in July of 1896 after being charged with embezzlement. (Fritz)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61701
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Short Stories; *Non-fiction/Humor; Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: observations on life, inventor of unique short story technique, stories appeared in the houston post 1895-1896

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • Section [number] of O. Henry Encore by O. Henry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "O. Henry Encore, by O. Henry. [Section Name]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of O. Henry Encore by O. Henry. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of O. Henry Encore, by O. Henry. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ohenryencore_##_henry_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ohenryencore_01_henry_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: O. Henry
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: O. Henry Encore

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by pschempf on September 28th, 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

An ambitious first solo! I will MC. MW will be available shortly.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. I've added the first three titles for you as an example.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'd be happy to DPL for you. I have read the "Complete" O Henry, published in 1928, multiple times, so it was a little bit of a surprise to find out that it is not actually complete! :D
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

Thank you to both Maria and knotyouraveragejo
I look forward to your guidance
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

I have completed the magic window. In originally coming up with the number of chapters i counted the Preface and Introduction as two separate chapters or sections and as a result I have one empty slot at the end of the Magic window. Should I just move everything down one slot and add "Introduction" at the top or have you remove the last slot? I was not sure how to do that.
By removing the last slot it leaves open whether I read the lengthy and at time boring introduction.
Thanks for your help
Thom
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I can remove it for you.
Jo
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

I have uploaded the section O, Preface and Introduction
Duration 26:47.7
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ohenry_00_128kpb.mp3
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Nice job ~ I enjoyed listening! There is one minor edit that you need to make.

At the very beginning of the intro, you need to say "Preface and introduction of" --- and then into what you did say. For subsequent sections you will need to say "Section 1 of" "Section 2 of", etc...

One other thing. You will need to put the files and the running time in the Magic Window, as well as mark the file "Ready for PL". I went ahead and did it for you with this one so that you can see where it goes! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

Maria thanks for such a quick response.
A question, given the preface and intro have been loaded in the magic window, when I do the suggested edit do how do I replace it.
Is that in the wiki?
Thom
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

Maria,
I am a little confused about the edit suggestion. I have just listened to what I recorded.
Should I add
“Preface and Introduction of O. Henry Oncore by O. Henry“ at the very beginning before I say anything at all?
Thom
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Thom,

Just upload the corrected file with the same filename. The old file will be renamed on the server so the link in the MW will always point to the most recent (in this case edited) file. :) Once you upload the file, just use the status dropdown in the section compiler to change the status from See PL Notes to Ready for Spot PL so your prooflistener can spot check the edits. :)

The intros and outros should be read just the way the samples are shown in the top post. So, your first file should begin "Preface and Introduction of O. Henry Encore by O.Henry." The second file begins "Section 1 of O. Henry Encore by O. Henry" and so on. Long disclaimer on the first and short disclaimer for all subsequent files (the latter is for solos only).
Jo
Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

Thomhand

Post by Thomhand »

I have edited and uploaded a revised section 1 , removing noise and unnecessary pauses

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ohenryencore_01_henry_128kb.mp3
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Thom,

In the intro to Section 0, O Henry Encore is repeated, as bolded below. One of them needs to be removed. :-)
Preface and introduction of O. Henry Encore by O. Henry. O Henry Encore This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
For Section 1, everything is great. Just one note at the very end you said "This is the end of Section 1". It is minor, so I don't think it needs to be changed, but we generally say just "End of Section 1". Just something to keep in mind for future sections.

You are doing a great job! :thumbs:
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks