Get to know you better

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

This looks like fun! I'll play, too!

* How old are you: Just old enough that young people are starting to assume I want the senior discount.
* Favorite color: Just about any shade of blue is nice. Also many shades of green.
* Pets: I've had 4 dogs in my life, mostly one at a time. At the moment, I have a part-time borrowed dog.
* Sunrise, Sunset: Both are nice, though different in mood.
* Ocean or Mountains: Never been to real mountains. But I love my nearby Great Lake, which is like an inland ocean, and wonderful.
* Favorite food: Real pirogis, the way Grandma made them - (farmer's cheese and onion, NO potato!)
* Favorite pie: Apple, pumpkin, cherry, and apple again.
* Steak or Seafood: Seafood.
* Italian or Chinese: Both are nice. Both have noodles, and I like noodles.
* Chocolate or Vanilla: Both at once, swirled together in an Abbott's soft custard cone eaten at the lake shore.
* How many tattoos: 0
* Ever hit a deer: No, but was in the passenger seat when someone else hit one.
* Rode in an ambulance: Once, when I got hit in the face by a line drive at the baseball park.
* Ice skated: Yes, all the time, when I was young. No, not anymore, since my knees are now wonky.
* Rode a motorcycle: No, and never want to.
* Stayed in the hospital: Only briefly in ER - (that darned baseball-to-the-face incident) - but never admitted.
* Favorite season: Fall, of course. Or spring, which is also nice. Or early winter, before we get tired of it.
* Broken Bones: Yes, a slight fracture to the face - (yeah, that baseball incident, sigh).
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

commonsparrow3 wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:14 am This looks like fun! I'll play, too!

* How old are you: Just old enough that young people are starting to assume I want the senior discount.
* Favorite color: Just about any shade of blue is nice. Also many shades of green.
* Pets: I've had 4 dogs in my life, mostly one at a time. At the moment, I have a part-time borrowed dog.
* Sunrise, Sunset: Both are nice, though different in mood.
* Ocean or Mountains: Never been to real mountains. But I love my nearby Great Lake, which is like an inland ocean, and wonderful.
* Favorite food: Real pirogis, the way Grandma made them - (farmer's cheese and onion, NO potato!)
* Favorite pie: Apple, pumpkin, cherry, and apple again.
* Steak or Seafood: Seafood.
* Italian or Chinese: Both are nice. Both have noodles, and I like noodles.
* Chocolate or Vanilla: Both at once, swirled together in an Abbott's soft custard cone eaten at the lake shore.
* Ever hit a deer: No, but was in the passenger seat when someone else hit one.
* Rode in an ambulance: Once, when I got hit in the face by a line drive at the baseball park.
* Ice skated: Yes, all the time, when I was young. No, not anymore, since my knees are now wonky.
* Rode a motorcycle: No, and never want to.
* Stayed in the hospital: Only briefly in ER - (that darned baseball-to-the-face incident) - but never admitted.
* Favorite season: Fall, of course. Or spring, which is also nice. Or early winter, before we get tired of it.
* Broken Bones: Yes, a slight fracture to the face - (yeah, that baseball incident, sigh).
I think I see a theme here.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

KevinS wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:07 amI think I see a theme here.
The theme is "Always keep your eye on the ball when at the ballpark, even if you're not a player!"
KevinS wrote: April 1st, 2020, 7:45 am* Broken Bones: Yes, while wearing a Superman costume. (Wouldn't you like to hear more of that!)
It does sound like you have a story there!
msfry

Post by msfry »

* How old are you: 73 and darn proud of it!!
* Favorite color: bright, bold colors, all of them, especially complementary ones side by side.
* Pets: 2 Papillon dogs, one Agility master (retired) age 12, and another sweetheart, age 7, and another who died last year of old age, and two other deceased canines, one a dingo, another a southern black mouth cur. I have had countless cats since childhood and loved them all.
* Sunrise or Sunset: I sleep through sunrise, but sunsets are sometimes spectacular.
* Ocean or Mountains: both, variety is the spice of life.
* Favorite food: Cajun, like gumbo and etouffe, and jambalya. And everything else.
* Favorite pie: Lemon Meringue
* Steak or Seafood: both, gotta have both
* Italian or Chinese: both, gotta have both
* Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate
* Ever hit a deer: 0
* Rode in an ambulance: No
* Ice skated: Yes, on our senior trip to Washington D.C., waaaay back when. It was terrifying. Now we just avidly watch the Winter Olympic skaters.
* Rode a motorcycle: Yes, as a passenger, often, when in love, younger and an idiot. It's terribly dangerous.
* Stayed in the hospital: Yes, appendicitis at 16, childbirth, and a cat bite that infected my hand.
* Favorite season: spring and fall, don't like winter or summer.
* Broken Bones: No

Can we add questions? More germain to LV friends, I want to know such things as:
occupations
where have you lived
languages spoken, and/or accents
hobbies
favorite actors/tv shows/movies
favorite genres
Last edited by msfry on April 1st, 2020, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have never lived or even traveled west of Kansas, east of Bavaria (Germany), north of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or south of São Paulo State (Brasil.) Through books ... I've been everywhere.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

KevinS wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:42 pm I have never lived or even traveled west of Kansas, east of Bavaria (Germany), north of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, or south of São Paulo State (Brasil.) Through books ... I've been everywhere.
Only been outside of Australia once (Fiji just before the coup. Please don’t extrapolate from that. :roll: )

But Australia is about 4000km (2500 miles) across from Sydney to Perth, so it’s not like I’ve been cooped up or anything.

Faraway Places: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HgVUr5aIBuA

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

msfry wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:20 pm Can we add questions? More germain to LV friends, I want to know such things as:
occupations
where have you lived
hobbies
favorite genres
I put this together for some self-exploration. It tells pretty much everything.

https://mm.tt/1349817405?t=EyA1qupxYO
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

* How old are you: 78
* Occupation? Computer guy
* Favorite color: yellow
* Pets: 2 cockatiels
* Sunrise or Sunset: any time it's light enough for tennis
* Ocean or Mountains: Mountains
* Favorite food: There are so many!
* Favorite pie: chocolate cream
* Steak or Seafood: Steak
* Italian or Chinese: Italian
* Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate
* Ever hit a deer: 0
* Rode in an ambulance: yes, but the patient wasn't me.
* Ice skated: yes... and you could see the fear in the other people's eyes.
* Rode a motorcycle: yes, In American Samoa
* Stayed in the hospital: yes
* Favorite season: Florida Spring
* Broken Bones: Nope.
* Did you meet your One True Love? Yes, yes, yes!
* Do you have the virus? No.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Seems I'm in a small LV minority of folks with tats. Judging by our carefully selected sample pool of participants. :wink:
msfry

Post by msfry »

realisticspeakers wrote: April 1st, 2020, 3:39 pm
msfry wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:20 pm Can we add questions? More germain to LV friends, I want to know such things as:
occupations
where have you lived
hobbies
favorite genres
I put this together for some self-exploration. It tells pretty much everything.

https://mm.tt/1349817405?t=EyA1qupxYO
That's deep, and will take some time to drill down and grok it all. Quarantine is a good time for that! :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

mightyfelix wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:02 am Seems I'm in a small LV minority of folks with tats. Judging by our carefully selected sample pool of participants. :wink:
One day I'll get up the courage to ask someone why they have tats, because I don't understand. But not now . . . unless you care to share.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

"As a personal affirmation that I will take my life in my own hands from now on."

Simple, really. :D

Edited to add: If somebody is wearing their tats where you can see them (I mean in a gathering of polite society), they won't mind the question. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
realisticspeakers

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:21 am That's deep, and will take some time to drill down and grok it all. Quarantine is a good time for that! :mrgreen:
That's the second time in a month someone has used that verb.

I am open to comments, suggestions, and opinions of any sort, if you're so inclined.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
msfry

Post by msfry »

realisticspeakers wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:47 am
msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:21 am That's deep, and will take some time to drill down and grok it all. Quarantine is a good time for that! :mrgreen:
That's the second time in a month someone has used that verb.
GROK, a term invented by Robert Heinlein in his 1960's sci fi book, Stranger In A Strange Land
(verb) · to understand (something) intuitively or by empathy, communicate sympathetically; establish a rapport.
realisticspeakers

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 9:39 am That's the second time in a month someone has used that verb.
GROK, a term invented by Robert Heinlein in his 1960's sci fi book, Stranger In A Strange Land
(verb) · to understand (something) intuitively or by empathy, communicate sympathetically; establish a rapport.
[/quote]

You will find this buried in my mind map. lol.

Jubal Harshaw never watched TV unless he had to. He would roll the little B&W on the cart out of the closet.
Disclaimer: