COMPLETE [Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 1 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

LCaulkins wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:33 am I see your test is already cleared, so all I need to get a section officially assigned to you is to know what you want us to use for your name on your public Catalog Reader Page. (This will be the name folks see when they are looking at audiobooks)

Also, which story from the book are you wanting to do for your section? (There will be following collections for myths that you can read additional stories for if you will want to do so.)
Just call me Lynette Morris.

I was thinking of doing part XVIII "The Adventures of Sir Gareth". It's a shorter retelling of the Beaumains tale.

Thanks!
--Lynette Morris

A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one. Treat them with respect. -- Mark Lawrence
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super :) I will put that title in, and if you change your mind, just let me know, and I'll edit the title.

Here is your Catalog Reader Page: Lynette Morris

It will list all the book projects, both finished and in progress, that you are connected to. It also has a link to a page that will list all the sections you are signed up for. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Alright, I am ready for proof-listening!

The Adventures of Sir Gareth
from "Stories from Le Morte D'Arthur and the Mabinogion"
by Beatrice E. Clay
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15551 (part XVIII)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_adventuresirgareth_clay_lm_128kb.mp3
13:30

Lynette Morris
--Lynette Morris

A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one. Treat them with respect. -- Mark Lawrence
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you so much! It is loaded into the MW and queued for PL :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Lynette - I just noticed you have html formatting in the section titles in the MW.

The formatting will need to be cleaned out before cataloging, because the catalog system imports the data in that field to the metadata for the files. I assume it would import the raw html and make really ugly section titles on the files. :lol:

The author name can be removed from that field because it'll show up on the catalog page anyway, since this is a collection. The catalog page will look something like this: https://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-014/

No rush; it just needs to be cleaned up before cataloging. :)

P.S. Good job on adding the metadata info to each section!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Gotcha. Thanks for the sample, I'll fix things before we're finished. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Lynette wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:19 am Alright, I am ready for proof-listening!

The Adventures of Sir Gareth
from "Stories from Le Morte D'Arthur and the Mabinogion"
by Beatrice E. Clay
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15551 (part XVIII)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_adventuresirgareth_clay_lm_128kb.mp3
13:30

Lynette Morris
Hi, Lynette! Very fun story - love your accent for Gareth!

This recording is almost ready - the volume doesn't pass Checker parameters, though. Normally, I would advise doing Control-A to select the entire track, and apply X amount of Amplification to raise the volume, but there are a few peaks in the middle of the recording that will clip if we do that. So - if you select the entire file, and run the effect "Compressor" on it (just click OK to use the factory-set numbers in all the options) - it does raise this recording's volume enough to pass Checker, without clipping the peaks. :)

Moving forward with your next recordings, I would bump the recording volume up by maybe .2, and see what that does for you. Another thought, purely for fine-tuning recording style: Probably 95% of us start out recording at the rate of speed that we are capable of reading aloud, which is a little faster than the rate of speed at which the human ear/brain process the information when it's not seeing the print at the same time. It just takes a few recordings to get comfortable with a little more leisurely pace - it feels pretty uncomfortable at first, I still remember, to speak slower, and also insert pauses between phrases more often than we're used to doing. Your first chapter, here, is a wee bit fast, but in no ways enough to be re-read. (If you are comfortable playing around with the recording software, try highlighting the track and applying the Change Tempo effect on it - perhaps with -3 or -4 in that percentage change box. Slows a recording down without changing the pitch. Fun stuff! But this does not need to be done to make the section PL OK)

Anyway, when you have the volume fixed, re-export so you get a fresh mp3, upload the file again, and post the link here. We'll get this section checked off. :)

P.S. - I was assuming you're using Audacity - hopefully, if you're using something different, it will have the same effects available that I was talking about!
~Lynette * -
RebekahS

Post by RebekahS »

If it doesn't have a reader, may I please do #10 How the Kangaroo Got a Long Tail, and the Wombat a Flat Forehead?
Please list me in the catalogue as Rebekah Stauffer.
Thanks.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Absolutely! Thank you very much :)
~Lynette * -
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

LCaulkins wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:21 am Anyway, when you have the volume fixed, re-export so you get a fresh mp3, upload the file again, and post the link here. We'll get this section checked off. :)
Here's the link again.

The length is now 14:09.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie! I'm pretty comfortable with editing sound and music, but I haven't done much recording before.
--Lynette Morris

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Lynette wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:02 pm
Here's the link again.

The length is now 14:09.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie! I'm pretty comfortable with editing sound and music, but I haven't done much recording before.
Hey, Lynette - The software didn't behave on your end the same way it did on mine when I tried the compression out on your original file - this new version here is still only at 84.5 decibels, and needs to be at least 86 (89-90 is ideal). The good news is that now you can apply the Amplify effect without clipping happening. :)

BTW, do you know about the free Checker app that will let you know if your file is within all the parameters for LibriVox? After I've edited one of my recordings and exported it to an mp3, I run the Checker on it before I close my Audacity, so I can easily do Amplify (pos to make it louder, neg to make it softer) or whatever else might be appropriate, and re-do the export before I upload the file. I'm trying to find the link for you. . .

Here it is: Checker
~Lynette * -
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

LCaulkins wrote: March 31st, 2020, 8:30 am
Hey, Lynette - The software didn't behave on your end the same way it did on mine when I tried the compression out on your original file - this new version here is still only at 84.5 decibels, and needs to be at least 86 (89-90 is ideal).
Bother. I've been trying to figure out what exactly "86-90 dB" means. Decibel is a relative unit of measure only. And usually a decibel measures a point - not a whole file. Do you know of any documentation about that?

So, I turned up the file and went to upload it, but then I got a syntax error about JSON parsing so I'll have to chase that further later this afternoon.

I'm sorry I'm being such a problem!
--Lynette Morris

Lynette

Post by Lynette »

The uploader worked this time...whatever.
Here's the link.
--Lynette Morris

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Lynette wrote: March 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm The uploader worked this time...whatever.
Here's the link.
You're not being a problem! I'm sorry I didn't see your question post yesterday afternoon (although I'm not savvy enough to have known the answers) - but I'm glad it worked out for you. I keep having trouble with the uploader or downloading files to PL, and also the MW does weird things at times. I think more people are doing more work than usual on LibriVox, and the servers are periodically overtaxed. That may have been a contributing factor when it was doing weird stuff with the JSON parsing?

At any rate, thank you so much for all the fiddling! Gareth's story is now PL OK :thumbs:

And doing LV recordings gets much, much easier once the up-front kink are worked out!!! Glad to have you on board. :)
~Lynette * -
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Usually that JSON error is when you've been logged out of the uploader but still try to use it. Click Logout, then log back in again, and it should clear up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine